Kiss PBS goodbye

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-03-2017, 10:08 AM (This post was last modified: 18-03-2017 11:32 PM by Thumpalumpacus.)
RE: Kiss PBS goodbye
(18-03-2017 08:42 AM)Alla Wrote:  
Thumpalumpacus Wrote:Because intelligent media is very rare here in America.
Ok, this is a good reason to get upset. I have more questions:
1)what are your favorite PBS programs that you watch all the time?
2)do you believe that something as good as intelligent media can survive without federal money? if "No" why?

I don't watch PBS; I don't own a television and won't be buying one in the foreseeable future. I do listen to NPR, particularly Morning Edition and All Things Considered (both news shows with a few features sprinkled in, very unbiased in most cases), and The Texas Standard, a news/feature hour which focuses on doings in my home state.

(18-03-2017 08:42 AM)Alla Wrote:  I support both. I support A&D Wavier program. It helps elderly people a lot. It is not only about feeding them, it is about preparing meals they choose, about cleaning their place, helping them to dress up, to take their meds, to brush their hair, to walk them, to take them to a doctor, to buy for them things they need and many, many other things. I am all for this great program.
I am for welfare and food stamps program. Those programs were created to help those who are hungry and very, very poor.

Yeah. And you're supporting a President bent on cutting federal funding that supports a similar program for the elderly, even as the same Treasury springs for a $53 billion increase in military spending.

(18-03-2017 08:42 AM)Alla Wrote:  Good. Isn't it suppose to be this way? Those who watch and listen should put their own money where their ears are?

Sure, in a perfect world. Then you discover advertisers, and agendas, because funding by donation is a terribly uncertain thing and reliant upon a steady economy. It's in the national interest to have an unbiased, unbought, and reliable source of news, if nothing else. The fact that PBS and NPR also bring smart entertainment is a plus.

(18-03-2017 08:42 AM)Alla Wrote:  I know I can. May be I will make this choice. I like to make my own GOOD choices instead of being forced to make GOOD choices.

You're forced to make good choices every day. Picking a fight about an expenditure that costs every American taxpayer $1.50/year rather than, say, a military budget that is not only grossly bloated, but spent in order to kill Muslims indiscriminately, well, that says something about your priorities. That is your choice. I am free to judge you on that choice.

(18-03-2017 08:42 AM)Alla Wrote:  You sound very snobbish and very condescending. It is like you are telling me that you are better person and more superior person than I am. Is this what happens to people who watch and listen too many intelligent programs?

I'm no snob, but I can be patronizing (that's the word you're looking for, not "condescending") with you -- because you're busy with your pseudo-Ayn Rand bit here complete with Russian accent and let-em-eat-cake economics, even as you benefit from a society that has taken you in and given you a new life. Now that you've got yours, fuck everyone else, right?

I'll be respectful to you when you've earnt that respect, Alla, and not one moment before. And not wanting to invest in unbiased and intelligent media is idiotic.

Go back to watching Fox.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
18-03-2017, 10:40 AM
Thump, you don't have to have a TV to watch Nova and Nature, they're online.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Gawdzilla's post
18-03-2017, 10:42 AM
(18-03-2017 08:42 AM)Alla Wrote:  
Thumpalumpacus Wrote:Why do you support building bombs and not feeding people? Why do you support the aerial export of those bombs we've built rather than feeding Americans here at home?
I support both.

So, I have a question, and I am not trying to be snarky. I really want to understand what the Trump supporters are thinking.

Under the Trump proposed budget, a whole host of domestic programs are cut that help feed school children and the elderly, provide healthcare through Medicaid expansion, support education, etc. That money is being redirected to a Defense spending hike of $54 billion that is (according to CNN): a plan that the White House says will provide the necessary funding to ramp up the fight against ISIS, improve troop readiness and build new ships and planes.
http://www.cnn.com/2017/03/16/politics/d...blueprint/

So, why does the Defense Department need an extra $54 billion to fight ISIS? As a retired Army officer, President Trump's love of "big military toys" is quite disturbing. If history tells us anything, it is that leaders don't build up military forces unless they plan to use them somewhere soon. How, exactly, does one use a new warship against ISIS? Facepalm
[+] 3 users Like Rockblossom's post
18-03-2017, 10:55 AM
(18-03-2017 01:22 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  
(18-03-2017 12:08 AM)Alla Wrote:  Why can't PBS survive without federal money?
PBS can and will survive without Federal money.

PBS will, the National Endowment for the Arts won't.

“The arts are essen­tial to any com­plete national life. The State owes it to itself to sus­tain and encour­age them….Ill fares the race which fails to salute the arts with the rev­er­ence and delight which are their due.” - Fat man with a cigar who liked to observe the vermouth from across the room while drinking his martini.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
18-03-2017, 10:59 AM (This post was last modified: 18-03-2017 11:04 AM by Alla.)
Thumpalumpacus Wrote:I don't watch PBS

Oh, I see. How interesting.

Thumpalumpacus Wrote:I doubt you are.

Looks like it makes two of us. We both don/t watch PBS.

Thumpalumpacus Wrote:Yeah. And you're supporting a President bent on cutting federal funding that supports a similar program for the elderly, even as the same Treasury springs for a $53 billion increase in military spending.

Why do we need many similar programs for elderly? Shouldn't the government be more wise with spending someone's money?

Thumpalumpacus Wrote:funding by donation is a terribly uncertain thing and reliant upon a steady economy. It's in the national interest to have an unbiased, unbought, and reliable source of news, if nothing else. The fact that PBS and NPR also bring smart entertainment is a plus.

Who in PBS decides what SMART entertainment is? Those people who pay for it? Or somebody else decides for them?
Thumpalumpacus Wrote:You're forced to make good choices every day.
True. But I want to be forced to make good choices as less as possible. I don't want government to tell me what smart entertainment is and make me pay for it. I don't mind to be forced to pay for roads and bridges, for strong defense and some good welfare programs that help poor and hungry.
Thumpalumpacus Wrote:I'm no snob, but I can be patronizing (that's the word you're looking for, not "condescending") with you -- because you're busy with your pseudo-Ayn Rand bit here complete with Russian accent and let-em-eat-cake economics, even as you benefit from a society that has taken you in and given you a new life. Now that you've got yours, fuck everyone else, right?
I have no idea what you are talking about. When did I say that we have (blip) everyone else?
Thumpalumpacus Wrote:I'll be respectful to you when you've earnt that respect, Alla, and not one moment before.
I was not asking for your respect. I only shared with you my honest opinion : you sounded very condescending and snobbish. You sounded like you believe that you are more superior human being than I am. You also said that you doubted I watch PBS while you admit you don't watch it yourself. This is very rich, Thumpalumpacus.
Thumpalumpacus Wrote:And not wanting to invest in unbiased and intelligent media is idiotic.
Do you find that it is idiotic not to watch unbiased and intelligent media?
Thumpalumpacus Wrote:Go back to watching Fox.
Yes, sir.

English is my second language.
I AM DEPLORABLE AND IRREDEEMABLE
SHE PERSISTED WE RESISTED
18-03-2017, 11:04 AM (This post was last modified: 18-03-2017 11:13 AM by GirlyMan.)
Has anybody checked whether he dicked with the Smithsonian? Pretty sure closing museums and cutting the people off from their arts and culture is another dick move frequently employed by fascists. Someone correct me if I'm wrong while I go check whether he dicked with the museums.
Yep, he's cutting $230 million for the Institute of Museum and Library Services, which supports libraries and museums across the country. Smithsonian and National Gallery of Art won't be far behind. We're gonna spend more than $230 million in 6 months paying for Trump's 4-day weekends at his Palm Beach estate. I sure hope there's hookers and blow and golden showers for that kind of money.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
18-03-2017, 11:21 AM
(18-03-2017 10:42 AM)Rockblossom Wrote:  
(18-03-2017 08:42 AM)Alla Wrote:  I support both.

So, I have a question, and I am not trying to be snarky. I really want to understand what the Trump supporters are thinking.

Under the Trump proposed budget, a whole host of domestic programs are cut that help feed school children and the elderly, provide healthcare through Medicaid expansion, support education, etc. That money is being redirected to a Defense spending hike of $54 billion that is (according to CNN): a plan that the White House says will provide the necessary funding to ramp up the fight against ISIS, improve troop readiness and build new ships and planes.
http://www.cnn.com/2017/03/16/politics/d...blueprint/

So, why does the Defense Department need an extra $54 billion to fight ISIS? As a retired Army officer, President Trump's love of "big military toys" is quite disturbing. If history tells us anything, it is that leaders don't build up military forces unless they plan to use them somewhere soon. How, exactly, does one use a new warship against ISIS? Facepalm

I believe that we live in the world where it is important to send very strong message to countries like Russia, China, Iran. Building strong military is the kind of language
Putin understands. I want my country( the USA) to be the best of the best.
Putin builds strong army. China builds strong army.
Let me know where in your opinion I am wrong.

About programs. I will repeat myself: why do we need many similar programs?
I have a question for you: what do we do to address national debt?

I believe that Trump supports education. He supports school choice. I like that he wants to introduce alternative education programs. Those programs are alternative to 4 year college. It sounds great.
Let me know where I am wrong.

18-03-2017, 11:23 AM
GirlyMan Wrote:PBS will, the National Endowment for the Arts won't.
Why won't it survive?

18-03-2017, 11:30 AM (This post was last modified: 18-03-2017 11:45 AM by GirlyMan.)
(18-03-2017 11:21 AM)Alla Wrote:  I believe that we live in the world where it is important to send very strong message to countries like Russia, China, Iran. Building strong military is the kind of language
Putin understands.

The next global conflict will not involve tanks or bombs or guns. It will be fought digitally. Power grids going down, water treatment systems and nuclear reactors and dams and other infrastructure being hacked. Each country's own infrastructure will be the weapons used against it. If it wasn't clear to anyone before I hope it's clear now that both Russia and China and Estonia are years if not decades ahead of us in cyber-warfare. The fuck's the difference between 8,000 and 7,000 nukes. China's done the math and decided investing in 260 was enough for their purposes. Puffing out one's chest may have worked once, but the geek with the scotch-taped glasses just emptied the bank accounts while everyone was distracted by the huffing and puffing and blowing down of houses.

[+] 4 users Like GirlyMan's post
18-03-2017, 11:32 AM
(18-03-2017 11:23 AM)Alla Wrote:  
GirlyMan Wrote:PBS will, the National Endowment for the Arts won't.
Why won't it survive?

It, the NEH and CBP are govenrment agencies. No federal funding, no agency. No tickie, no laundry.