Kiwis, Singaporeans, Chileans and Bruneians ... Do You Trust Them?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-08-2016, 12:08 PM
RE: Kiwis, Singaporeans, Chileans and Bruneians ... Do You Trust Them?
(04-08-2016 03:53 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  [...] The biggest concerns is that large multinational corporations will be able to sue our government. So think like tobacco companies suing because there's laws that require cigarettes be hidden from view. [...]

Philip Morris (Asia) attempted to sue Australia over its so-called plain packaging laws, but failed dramatically. The international Permanent Court of Arbitration in the Hague ruled in Australia's favour in December 2015.

The court found Philip Morris had moved its business from Switzerland to Hong Kong for the purpose of taking advantage of the Australia-Hong Kong bilateral investment treaty, which allows companies to sue Australia. Because the restructure took place after Australia announced it would introduce plain packaging in 2012, the court agreed with Australia’s argument that the impact of the policy "was foreseeable" and Philip Morris’s decision to bring the case was thus an "abuse of rights", making it invalid.

Uruguay, France and Britain are now following Australia's lead with plain packaging of cigarettes and tobacco products, based on Philip Morris's loss. The European Union Court of Justice has also upheld the right of European states to use plain packaging and graphic health warnings.

—Whatever, I doubt that the proposed TPP will affect this sort of scenario one way or the other as far as Australia is concerned.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-08-2016, 12:57 PM
(04-08-2016 02:39 PM)Stevil Wrote:  [...]
NZ economy is doing way better than the Australian economy right now. [...]

I'd have to disagree with this claim.

Australia GDP per capita = $47,389 (ranked 16th)
New Zealand GDP per capita =$36,172 (ranked 29th)

Australia GDP Growth Rate = Rising at 1.3%
New Zealand GDP Growth Rate = Falling at 0.7%

Both figures indicate that Australia's economy is doing better than New Zealand's.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
05-08-2016, 01:01 PM
(05-08-2016 12:57 PM)SYZ Wrote:  
(04-08-2016 02:39 PM)Stevil Wrote:  [...]
NZ economy is doing way better than the Australian economy right now. [...]

I'd have to disagree with this claim.

Australia GDP per capita = $47,389 (ranked 16th)
New Zealand GDP per capita =$36,172 (ranked 29th)

Australia GDP Growth Rate = Rising at 1.3%
New Zealand GDP Growth Rate = Falling at 0.7%

Both figures indicate that Australia's economy is doing better than New Zealand's.

It's only because they are catching and desiccating their immense population of poisonous ... well everything ... and selling them to the Chinese.

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
05-08-2016, 03:11 PM
(05-08-2016 04:58 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  I don't think Muricans know or care about it.
Once it's all finalized I'm sure Obama (or Trump or Hillary) will make a speech claiming 100% of the credit.
I think Trump has publicly denounced TPP, and I think Hillary has alluded to being against it too.

Trump will close USA down, make them an individual entity against the world.
Hillary, I'm not quite sure what she will do. But USA is facing many economic challenges, they are struggling with the global business model of nowadays, their internal resources cost so damn much and the Indian's will do the work for so much less.

Obama has an international view, wants USA to participate in an international community. It's a shame USA only allow a leader to have two terms.
[+] 1 user Likes Stevil's post