Knives.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-11-2013, 02:23 PM
Knives.
My friend Google has too many money motivated opinions so I thought I'd ask my friends here.

Can anyone recommend a really good chopping/slicing/dicing knife? I've tried a few, even some shopping channel brands, and I can't find a great sharp, weighted, cuts-like-butter knife for chopping and dicing.

Do you have a favourite brand?

Please, no slap chop recommendations. Big Grin
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-11-2013, 02:27 PM
RE: Knives.
LJ - Do you have a restaurant supply store near you? You can often get a knife there that won't cost an arm and a leg but is really good quality. They won't have fancy names but they'll last and work well.

I prefer a 8" chef knife for most things. I picked up a Wusthof chef knife and I use it all the time.

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
[+] 5 users Like KidCharlemagne1962's post
14-11-2013, 02:30 PM
I like Mark Bittman's recommendation below:

"I started with an eight-inch, plastic-handle stainless alloy chef’s knife for $10. This is probably the most essential tool in the kitchen. People not only obsess about knives (and write entire articles about them), but you can easily spend over $100 on just one. Yet go into any restaurant kitchen and you will see most of the cooks using this same plastic-handle Dexter-Russell tool. (Go to the wrong store and you’ll spend $20 or even $30 on the same knife.)"

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/05/09/dining...d=all&_r=0

"I feel as though the camera is almost a kind of voyeur in Mr. Beans life, and you just watch this bizarre man going about his life in the way that he wants to."

-Rowan Atkinson
14-11-2013, 02:34 PM
(14-11-2013 02:23 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  My friend Google has too many money motivated opinions so I thought I'd ask my friends here.

Can anyone recommend a really good chopping/slicing/dicing knife? I've tried a few, even some shopping channel brands, and I can't find a great sharp, weighted, cuts-like-butter knife for chopping and dicing.

Do you have a favourite brand?

Please, no slap chop recommendations. Big Grin

I've tried several brands and styles of knife. I currently have and use Wustfoff Classic knives in various styles. You can't really go wrong with Wusthoff, Henckels, Sabatier, and the like.

I decided on the Henckel's after trying one that I bought (8" chef's knife) because the handle fit my hand and I liked the balance. Many kitchen stores will let you handle or try various knives.

I also have a wonderful three-knife set from Buck that they don't make any more.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
14-11-2013, 02:40 PM
forget about the knife, learn how to sharpen it and the cheapest crap will work forever Smile

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
[+] 1 user Likes nach_in's post
14-11-2013, 02:52 PM
What nach said. Just find a cheap knife that fits in your hand and doesnt look like a piece of crap and learn no sharpen it. I have a $2,50 knife and its 3 yrs old

I don't really like going outside.
It's too damn "peopley" out there....
14-11-2013, 02:59 PM
(14-11-2013 02:52 PM)Lightvader Wrote:  What nach said. Just find a cheap knife that fits in your hand and doesnt look like a piece of crap and learn no sharpen it. I have a $2,50 knife and its 3 yrs old

I have one that by today exchange should be around $1 and it has more than 15 years

It's kind of dull now, but that's because I can't be bothered to take the drill and the sharpening stone outRolleyes

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
14-11-2013, 03:06 PM
(14-11-2013 02:52 PM)Lightvader Wrote:  What nach said. Just find a cheap knife that fits in your hand and doesnt look like a piece of crap and learn no sharpen it. I have a $2,50 knife and its 3 yrs old

Yeah, well, my Buck knives are 35 years old and razor sharp.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
14-11-2013, 03:17 PM
There are a lot of restaurant supply stores online.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
14-11-2013, 03:29 PM
Thanks pals! I'll have a look around with these suggestions in mind.

Sharpening crappy knives is not a useful solution. The semi-decent one I have now just chips and remains tough or dull in spots.

I'll showcase here what I end up settling on. Smile