Knives.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-11-2013, 03:33 PM
RE: Knives.
I feel like I lucked out with my three piece knife set - Aldi's cheap shit - $10. I made a mental note of the package stating made in China. I don't remember the brand - if it even had any recognizable one.

The set of three consists of one large chef's knife - 10 inch, one medium blade - 6 inch, and one paring blade - 3 inch. They are all one piece of steel and each has a series of shallow, oval indents along the length of the blade. This feature is called "hallow edge" and prevents slices from sticking to the blade. They do not have a shinny, polished finish - just simple, smooth steel on a continuous flow from the handle shape into the blade shape - nothing added to the handle. They are surprisingly light and perfectly weighted.

Like I said, I lucked out - I recall only needing a paring knife at the time so, figured I was getting the other two for free! Along the way, I got rid of most of my other knives because these three have stayed amazingly sharp for years - like razors.

Today, I wouldn't think of buying a chef's knife I can't hold in my hand and test for weight and comfort. That said - my cheap shit set was encased in plastic - I got spoiled! Tongue

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-11-2013, 04:09 PM
I was given a set of Mundial chefs knives going on 20 years ago. Nice and heavy riveted handles full tang blades. Came with a honing steel and between that and a whet stone are still razor sharp. If you go for quality once you will never have to buy another knife as long as you take care of it.

Also for those who don't have access to a knife sharpener ask your local butcher if they sharpen knives. When I was working as one we would do that for free upon request.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
14-11-2013, 05:45 PM
I'd like a set of these designed after the Fibonacci sequence. But I ain't gonna spend $900US on a set of knives unless I was a professional chef.

[Image: knives.jpg]

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
14-11-2013, 07:48 PM
[Image: p8g8FwS.jpg]

50% chance it will possibly cook, freeze or Frankenstein your food.

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".