Knocking Dawkins

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-08-2012, 09:15 AM
RE: Knocking Dawkins
(28-08-2012 09:01 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  That's the only problem I actually have with Dawkins. He is often too blunt, though the same could be said about Hitchens.

Dawkins said somewhere, possibly in the Four Horsemen video, that he learned his bluntness from Hitchens. Or learned to exercise it.

Hitchens is the better writer and speaker, so when he hits you with a hammer, you may not have seen it coming. Dawkins isn't as good at that.

Still, I always enjoy reading or hearing Dawkins, even if I sometimes cringe a little.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
28-08-2012, 10:37 AM
(28-08-2012 08:01 AM)Chas Wrote:  I think his use of the word 'fools' here is, while true, too strong for the argument and is a bit off-putting. I think this sort of thing is what people find objectionable in hos tone and style.

Yeah, he uses the term "weasels" a lot, too. It's obvious that he isn't referring to people literally being weasels, so it's just a pure insult. That's unethical, and goes against what Dawkins says about the high ethics of atheists.

I like what he says about secular morals, but he's got to be more careful about practicing what he preaches.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
28-08-2012, 12:57 PM
The God Delusion: 160 Errors, Gross Exaggerations, and Highly Dubious Claims

The Paradox Of Fools And Wise Men:
“The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.” ― Bertrand Russell
Find all posts by this user
28-08-2012, 01:02 PM
(28-08-2012 12:57 PM)TrulyX Wrote:  The God Delusion: 160 Errors, Gross Exaggerations, and Highly Dubious Claims

Well, that was pretty lightweight.

28-08-2012, 01:19 PM
Dawkin's can be a bit of a cock theres no doubt about it, his books on biology are good reads none the less. I tend not to bother with Dawkins when it comes to religion, if I wanna listen to people being rude about those of faith I use the internet.

On the whole though, I prefer Stephen J. Gould, his books are delightful and he keeps a civil tongue in his head when he disagrees with the religious. Which is not only nicer to read, its more contstructive.

Legal Disclaimer: I am right, I reserve the right to be wrong without notice, opinions may change, your statutory rights are not affected, opinions expressed are not my own and are an approximation for the sake of communication.
28-08-2012, 01:27 PM
(28-08-2012 01:19 PM)Humakt Wrote:  Dawkin's can be a bit of a cock theres no doubt about it, his books on biology are good reads none the less. I tend not to bother with Dawkins when it comes to religion, if I wanna listen to people being rude about those of faith I use the internet.

On the whole though, I prefer Stephen J. Gould, his books are delightful and he keeps a civil tongue in his head when he disagrees with the religious. Which is not only nicer to read, its more contstructive.

While I agree that Gould was a graceful and communicative writer, he bent so far over backward for tolerance that he was in danger of getting his head up his butt.
NOMA is crap and is rightly called out by Dawkins, Dennett, Hitchens, Stenger, et al.

[+] 4 users Like Chas's post
28-08-2012, 02:07 PM
Yea - I have to say Gould was pretty mamby-pamby. Sorry to be so blunt, but I really wanted to use that description. Dodgy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
28-08-2012, 02:16 PM
oh look christians being angry about being insulted.

hmmmm

When you are courting a nice girl an hour seems like a second. When you sit on a red-hot cinder a second seems like an hour. That's relativity.

You cannot successfully determine beforehand which side of the bread to butter.
28-08-2012, 02:48 PM
(28-08-2012 01:02 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(28-08-2012 12:57 PM)TrulyX Wrote:  The God Delusion: 160 Errors, Gross Exaggerations, and Highly Dubious Claims

Well, that was pretty lightweight.

You read that in 5 mins?
Chas-tastic!

28-08-2012, 03:36 PM
The Brit's come off as pompous at times. It's just a cultural thing.
You know that they are not really arrogant, it's just style points.

Compare to Daniel Dennett and Sam Harris. They say the same things, just softer. They stick the knife in slower, but they do stick it in and just as deep.

The old gods are dead, let's invent some new ones before something really bad happens.
[+] 1 user Likes Thomas's post