Knots

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-02-2016, 03:04 PM
Knots
I'm home with a cold and not feeling so good today plus I'm kinda bored. The obviously thing to do in a situation like this is search the internet for different ways to tie my shoes.

I need to practice this one. Looks interesting.

Speaking of knots. I sometimes make Chinese knots for decorative pillows that I make for designers.

My grandfather knew every knot known to man and he used them for stuff on his farm. I know only a few of them but I guess people don't really use knots much unless they own a boat or something. Velcro has taken over the knot industry.

Yup. I'm bored.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like dancefortwo's post
12-02-2016, 03:20 PM
RE: Knots
That was half of boot camp.........

Or so it seems.....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
12-02-2016, 04:14 PM
(12-02-2016 03:20 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  That was half of boot camp.........

Or so it seems.....

What do they use knots for in the military. The guy who invented velcro sold his idea to the military so they wouldn't have to tie so many knots. I'd think knots would almost be passe.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
12-02-2016, 04:16 PM
(12-02-2016 04:14 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  

Or so it seems.....

What do they use knots for in the military. The guy who invented velcro sold his idea to the military so they wouldn't have to tie so many knots. I'd think knots would almost be passe.

Tying big ass ropes on ships for the Navy and Coast Guard.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
12-02-2016, 04:17 PM
(12-02-2016 04:16 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(12-02-2016 04:14 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  What do they use knots for in the military. The guy who invented velcro sold his idea to the military so they wouldn't have to tie so many knots. I'd think knots would almost be passe.

They haven't switched to Velcro™? Shocking

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
12-02-2016, 04:22 PM
(12-02-2016 04:14 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  

Or so it seems.....

I was in the US Coast Guard 30+ years ago.... Marlinspike Seamanship was still heavily stressed....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
12-02-2016, 04:23 PM
(12-02-2016 04:16 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(12-02-2016 04:14 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  What do they use knots for in the military. The guy who invented velcro sold his idea to the military so they wouldn't have to tie so many knots. I'd think knots would almost be passe.

We didn't have ropes.

We had lines.

Civilians have ropes....

Big Grin

[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
12-02-2016, 04:25 PM
(12-02-2016 04:22 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  

I was in the US Coast Guard 30+ years ago.... Marlinspike Seamanship was still heavily stressed....

Had to Google that. Thanks for a term new to me. Thumbsup

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
12-02-2016, 04:28 PM
(12-02-2016 04:25 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(12-02-2016 04:22 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  I was in the US Coast Guard 30+ years ago.... Marlinspike Seamanship was still heavily stressed....

Had to Google that. Thanks for a term new to me. Thumbsup

Yeah - Like me, many things are getting obsolete......

They don't even have the rate (job description) I had. (Radioman)

But they still have deck apes (non-rates) -- so I'd imagine they're still learning to tie a bowline..............

12-02-2016, 04:33 PM
(12-02-2016 03:04 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  I'm home with a cold and not feeling so good today plus I'm kinda bored. The obviously thing to do in a situation like this is search the internet for different ways to tie my shoes.

I need to practice this one. Looks interesting.

Speaking of knots. I sometimes make Chinese knots for decorative pillows that I make for designers.

My grandfather knew every knot known to man and he used them for stuff on his farm. I know only a few of them but I guess people don't really use knots much unless they own a boat or something. Velcro has taken over the knot industry.

Yup. I'm bored.

The only knot I was taught to tie in boot camp was a bowline. After that, I worked in the engine room and forgot even that, since we bolted everything or used wire to hold it. Fast forward 18 years and I was a leader for some Cub Scouts and had to go learn the knots tout-suite so I could teach the boys. Did that volunteering for 15 years, and also learned to make and splice a rope.