Knots

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-02-2016, 04:34 PM
RE: Knots
I remember tying all kinds of knots when I was living on a boat every summer.

[Image: boating_knots.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
12-02-2016, 04:39 PM
(12-02-2016 04:34 PM)jennybee Wrote:  I remember tying all kinds of knots when I was living on a boat every summer.

That is a great web site - the animations are very well done. Thumbsup

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
(12-02-2016 03:04 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  I'm home with a cold and not feeling so good today plus I'm kinda bored. The obviously thing to do in a situation like this is search the internet for different ways to tie my shoes.

I need to practice this one. Looks interesting.

Speaking of knots. I sometimes make Chinese knots for decorative pillows that I make for designers.

My grandfather knew every knot known to man and he used them for stuff on his farm. I know only a few of them but I guess people don't really use knots much unless they own a boat or something. Velcro has taken over the knot industry.

Yup. I'm bored.

Yes if it 3/4 of the way tied shur nuff! Reminds me of a missionary group who prtend they build a church in one day. But the foundation is already pored and the wiring or the plumbing or the a/c is not installed at the end of their one day building session.
WTF is up with that chart????

Where the hell is the reef (square) knot????

Probably the most common....

They have the carrick bend (granny knot)...

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
12-02-2016, 06:23 PM
(12-02-2016 04:34 PM)jennybee Wrote:  I remember tying all kinds of knots when I was living on a boat every summer.

I did that eye splice knot to hang a hammock chair from a big ole maple tree. That rope has been hanging down from that tree for about 12 years and we attach the hammock chair to it every summer and every summer I fall asleep in it while reading a book. It's the greatest thing ever!

[Image: 15-sitting-hammocks-for-comfy-outdoor-seating-13.jpg]

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
12-02-2016, 06:37 PM
Knots were a big part of Mountain Warfare scool. Most of our drop outs were from failing the knot tests. I guess they don't want anyone rigging a system to lift people and equipment if they can't tie their knots flawlessly Tongue

We'd have a pre determined time limit, during which they'd name a knot and we'd pick up the correct rope or cord, explain the textbook purpose of the knot, tie it, and put it down. Then a mountaineering instructor with severe OCD would inspect it for flaws that might reduce the weight capacity or otherwise weaken the system it was supposed to go with. Two failed knot tests and you're out.

'Murican Canadian
12-02-2016, 06:54 PM
(12-02-2016 04:39 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  WTF is up with that chart????

Where the hell is the reef (square) knot????

Probably the most common....

They have the carrick bend (granny knot)...

No sheet bend, either.
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post
12-02-2016, 06:55 PM
(12-02-2016 04:23 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(12-02-2016 04:16 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Tying big ass ropes on ships for the Navy and Coast Guard.

We didn't have ropes.

We had lines.

They're ropes until their employed. Then they're lines. Tongue

[Image: line.jpg]

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
12-02-2016, 06:57 PM
(12-02-2016 06:37 PM)yakherder Wrote:  Knots were a big part of Mountain Warfare scool. Most of our drop outs were from failing the knot tests. I guess they don't want anyone rigging a system to lift people and equipment if they can't tie their knots flawlessly Tongue

We'd have a pre determined time limit, during which they'd name a knot and we'd pick up the correct rope or cord, explain the textbook purpose of the knot, tie it, and put it down. Then a mountaineering instructor with severe OCD would inspect it for flaws that might reduce the weight capacity or otherwise weaken the system it was supposed to go with. Two failed knot tests and you're out.

That's interesting.

Sometimes when I think about the future, like 4 or 500 years from now, I wonder if things like knots will still be needed and used. Will robots do everything, even tie knots?

These are the things I think about when I'm home sitting on the couch with a damned cold. Facepalm

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
12-02-2016, 06:59 PM
(12-02-2016 06:37 PM)yakherder Wrote:  Knots were a big part of Mountain Warfare scool. Most of our drop outs were from failing the knot tests. I guess they don't want anyone rigging a system to lift people and equipment if they can't tie their knots flawlessly Tongue

Yabut, your buddy's life may depend on doing it right, as you well know. I personally taught knot tying to hundreds of people over my volunteer Scouting "career", and it is my considered opinion that people who can't follow along for the knot tying (not even timed) don't have the focus to work on a lot of other things. We didn't do any dangerous activities in Scouting, but I knew which people I didn't want with me when we went into the wilderness. They were depending on other people to carry them along. I called them "sheeple".
[+] 2 users Like Fireball's post