Knots

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-02-2016, 07:17 PM
RE: Knots
I used to tie a LOT of slip knots at work - not necessary with the nonviolent restraints we presently have at my hospital. A restrained patient tries to pull away - the knot just gets tighter. I pull at the end of the rope, it slips off quickly, they're unrestrained.

[Image: tmp61b688_thumb2222.png]

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Nurse's post
12-02-2016, 07:27 PM (This post was last modified: 12-02-2016 07:38 PM by yakherder.)
(12-02-2016 06:57 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(12-02-2016 06:37 PM)yakherder Wrote:  Knots were a big part of Mountain Warfare scool. Most of our drop outs were from failing the knot tests. I guess they don't want anyone rigging a system to lift people and equipment if they can't tie their knots flawlessly Tongue

We'd have a pre determined time limit, during which they'd name a knot and we'd pick up the correct rope or cord, explain the textbook purpose of the knot, tie it, and put it down. Then a mountaineering instructor with severe OCD would inspect it for flaws that might reduce the weight capacity or otherwise weaken the system it was supposed to go with. Two failed knot tests and you're out.

That's interesting.

Sometimes when I think about the future, like 4 or 500 years from now, I wonder if things like knots will still be needed and used. Will robots do everything, even tie knots?

These are the things I think about when I'm home sitting on the couch with a damned cold. Facepalm

Heck we might even go backwards. Or perhaps small, protected, first world bubbles will move forward and leave the rest behind.

In recognition of the fact that many modern theatres of operation are undeveloped countries with harsh terrain, another component that would surprise most people is mule packing. This was added after an incident early in the operation in Afghanistan in which a poorly packed mule, which had been purchased from a local village when helicopter support was unavailable to fill the roll, lost its footing due to an unbalanced load and tumbled off a mountainside into a river several hundred feet below with several million dollars worth of communications equipment, not to mention the poor mule, leaving the squad camped up top without the necessary equipment for their mission.

Imagine that. 21st century warfare... Mission failed because nobody there knew how to pack a mule.

In Army Mountain Warfare school we just get a short class over a couple hours. But the marines brought back a full length dedicated animal packing course at their version of Maintain Warfare school that had been shut down since the Korean war.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 2 users Like yakherder's post
12-02-2016, 08:32 PM
Cool, I have seen that knot done with beads on each loop for jewelry. Nice!

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
12-02-2016, 08:39 PM
(12-02-2016 07:17 PM)Nurse Wrote:  I used to tie a LOT of slip knots at work - not necessary with the nonviolent restraints we presently have at my hospital. A restrained patient tries to pull away - the knot just gets tighter. I pull at the end of the rope, it slips off quickly, they're unrestrained.

[Image: tmp61b688_thumb2222.png]

I've used this and several others for tying horses.

I like this one and used it most of the time because this tie comes clean away without leaving the rope laying over the bar.

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=slip...ORM=VRDGAR

12-02-2016, 08:57 PM
And yet no one has suggested that Dances Google shibari.

My disappoint is real.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
12-02-2016, 09:00 PM
(12-02-2016 08:57 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And yet no one has suggested that Dances Google shibari.

My disappoint is real.

I thought about it but I might be tempted to post pics. Smile

12-02-2016, 09:06 PM
(12-02-2016 09:00 PM)Heatheness Wrote:  
(12-02-2016 08:57 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And yet no one has suggested that Dances Google shibari.

My disappoint is real.

I thought about it but I might be tempted to post pics. Smile

Better to leave that to google. Big Grin

But yeah, some are really cool, others are ouch...no wriggling.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
12-02-2016, 10:03 PM

My disappoint is real.

I feel totally stupid. I've never heard of shibari so I googled it.

All righty then!! Shocking
I learned something new today. This is what makes TTA so great. It's educational.

I'm stunned. I didn't know this even existed. I mean, I knew about bondage and S & M and all that but this is incredible.

Well, I found one photo I can post.

[Image: d8b04480c4bbb3cc84bf288d86897c64.jpg]

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 3 users Like dancefortwo's post
12-02-2016, 10:28 PM
I can tie myself into knots like this lady Big Grin Yoganidrasana pose

[Image: b7ae1a0e1330206f83177ffe2dbaa394.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
12-02-2016, 10:30 PM
I love the art as well as the application. It's an amazing release.

[Image: ebb4898e07a64ddc1f2bf6c45fe27a3b.jpg]

[Image: d93b599763e6b2d5dded8d4496d79d68.jpg]

[+] 3 users Like Heatheness's post