Knowing that I am the bad guy... the worst person on the planet

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-06-2013, 02:38 PM
Knowing that I am the bad guy... the worst person on the planet
I'm a Closet agnostic... only a few people close to me know.
It's becoming harder and harder to keep it bottled up though. There is no shortage of religious happenings that anger me, but rarely does something really get to me...

Today, I came across something that I found truly disturbing, to the point of having to hold back tears.

Last week a 9 month old (Novah) tragically passed away after he stopped breathing. The story got some mainstream attention in the Chicago area, and a Facebook page was made in the child's honor. As you can expect, the page has been flooded with support from people around the area and beyond.

I understand grieving is a process and everyone deals with it in their own way. In the last week, the child's mother has been posting on the Facebook page about the family's grieving process. Over the weekend, the posts have gotten more religious -- how this tragedy has tested her faith but that she now believes god is with the family. I don't have a problem with any of this...

What made me sick to my stomach is what the mother wrote earlier this afternoon. I'm not upset at her. I'm upset at the rationalization... of which I find to be absolutely disgusting.

Quote:I just sat with the girls and showed them the, "shine like Novah" page because they never really understood why so many people knew about him. I told them about the struggle between GOD and the devil and that because of Novah dying, he brought more people to Gods side. I told them that God needs help to get more people on his team. Some of those people didn't believe that there is a God and that they needed more "proof." Our Shine like Novah page and pictures bring people the proof they need to help them believe that THERE IS A GOD. We believe God needed Novah because he believed in US to help those other people. And we also know that GOD will win because he told us so.

I realize this is a grieving mother, and this idea is likely giving her some form of comfort... or justification for the death of her 9 month old.

What I'm having a hard time stomaching is how everyone else (high school friends, college friends, colleagues, acquaintances who know about this story) would view me as being some truly horrific and evil person if they knew how I felt about this. And please understand... If I were an open atheist, I would keep my mouth shut. I wouldn't antagonize or troll my opinions. It's the sole fact that if they did know how I felt, everyone would think I was the worst human being on the face of the planet.

It's completely unsettling and a real kick in the head. For the first time... at this very moment... I'm realizing just how alone I am in all of this.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-06-2013, 02:49 PM
RE: Knowing that I am the bad guy... the worst person on the planet
(10-06-2013 02:38 PM)JokerFace Wrote:  What I'm having a hard time stomaching is how everyone else (high school friends, college friends, colleagues, acquaintances who know about this story) would view me as being some truly horrific and evil person if they knew how I felt about this.

Then fuck those cunts!

[Image: opforum1.png]
[+] 3 users Like frankiej's post
10-06-2013, 02:52 PM
(10-06-2013 02:38 PM)JokerFace Wrote:  I'm a Closet agnostic... only a few people close to me know.
It's becoming harder and harder to keep it bottled up though. There is no shortage of religious happenings that anger me, but rarely does something really get to me...

Today, I came across something that I found truly disturbing, to the point of having to hold back tears.

Last week a 9 month old (Novah) tragically passed away after he stopped breathing. The story got some mainstream attention in the Chicago area, and a Facebook page was made in the child's honor. As you can expect, the page has been flooded with support from people around the area and beyond.

I understand grieving is a process and everyone deals with it in their own way. In the last week, the child's mother has been posting on the Facebook page about the family's grieving process. Over the weekend, the posts have gotten more religious -- how this tragedy has tested her faith but that she now believes god is with the family. I don't have a problem with any of this...

What made me sick to my stomach is what the mother wrote earlier this afternoon. I'm not upset at her. I'm upset at the rationalization... of which I find to be absolutely disgusting.

Quote:I just sat with the girls and showed them the, "shine like Novah" page because they never really understood why so many people knew about him. I told them about the struggle between GOD and the devil and that because of Novah dying, he brought more people to Gods side. I told them that God needs help to get more people on his team. Some of those people didn't believe that there is a God and that they needed more "proof." Our Shine like Novah page and pictures bring people the proof they need to help them believe that THERE IS A GOD. We believe God needed Novah because he believed in US to help those other people. And we also know that GOD will win because he told us so.

I realize this is a grieving mother, and this idea is likely giving her some form of comfort... or justification for the death of her 9 month old.

What I'm having a hard time stomaching is how everyone else (high school friends, college friends, colleagues, acquaintances who know about this story) would view me as being some truly horrific and evil person if they knew how I felt about this. And please understand... If I were an open atheist, I would keep my mouth shut. I wouldn't antagonize or troll my opinions. It's the sole fact that if they did know how I felt, everyone would think I was the worst human being on the face of the planet.

It's completely unsettling and a real kick in the head. For the first time... at this very moment... I'm realizing just how alone I am in all of this.

You are not alone. We are here.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
10-06-2013, 02:52 PM
No, you aren't alone... nor, are you the worst person on the planet. That would be Chas. Dodgy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 8 users Like kim's post
10-06-2013, 02:58 PM
You're certainly not alone in this. Nor are you "evil" or "horrific." Many people (including myself) are disgusted with how religious people turn terrible tragedies into ways to "bring people to faith" aka *brainwash those who are grieving or easily susceptible.*

When/if you are ever ready to voice your opinion you don't have to be harsh or ugly about it. It is possible to disagree with someone in a gentle manner.

Sadly however, until more people start speaking up this will continue to happen. Drinking Beverage
10-06-2013, 03:03 PM
Oh ok... Chas isn't the worst person on the planet. I just like to flirt with him. Dodgy
I can't speak for others but I also am seriously disturbed by such rationalization. I'm also completely freaked out by willingly using one's own pain and grief to coerce others into this cultish ignorance.

I just hope these people don't do something in hopes of keeping alive this strange death cult surrounding their dead child. This child is dead and needs to die so they can get along with their lives.

You aren't alone. You're here.

Welcome to the forum. Smile

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
10-06-2013, 03:32 PM
(10-06-2013 03:03 PM)kim Wrote:  Oh ok... Chas isn't the worst person on the planet. I just like to flirt with him. Dodgy

I'm relieved to hear that. I thought that was going to really put a kink in our wedding plans. Consider

[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
10-06-2013, 03:46 PM
(10-06-2013 02:52 PM)kim Wrote:  No, you aren't alone... nor, are you the worst person on the planet. That would be Chas. Dodgy

Nuh uh.
Has *he* had an "ode" about him yet ?
No.
Ergo ... I am THE worst person on the planet. (And proud of it). Tongue

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
10-06-2013, 03:50 PM
(10-06-2013 03:46 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(10-06-2013 02:52 PM)kim Wrote:  No, you aren't alone... nor, are you the worst person on the planet. That would be Chas. Dodgy

Nuh uh.
Has *he* had an "ode" about him yet ?
No.
Ergo ... I am THE worst person on the planet. (And proud of it). Tongue

I just fuckin' hate it when you get all unholier than thou. Angry

[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
10-06-2013, 03:56 PM

My finger slipped and I accidentally *liked* this.

To op. you're not alone in feeling this way...totally...I don't know the story and I feel similar.

It's sad. But I would just not look at it. There's been a little boy missing from our area for a few years now...the crap posted about how god would bring that kid back was nauseating. I just quietly unsubscribed.

I felt bad because the child is, to my knowledge still considered missing.

Nothing else to do but let it go.

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon