Knowledge they won't tell you in church (1)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-07-2015, 07:35 AM
Asherah is very important for our subject today. Why? Consider this. It was common for people to borrow or take gods from other religions. Now Asherah was once part of sumarian religion(anu) and ugaratic religion(El). She then became a part of hebrew religion(yahweh).

Now pastors say there has always been one god in the entire bibles history, but Asherah begs to differ. History shows that Asherah was always a part of hebrew tradition until she was removed. So in short why is a religion with one god taking amd claiming another? Simple, because it s the tradition of mythology to borrow other religikns stories and even gods.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asherah

[Image: asherahjebowser.jpg]

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Metazoa Zeke's post
03-07-2015, 09:04 AM
RE: Knowledge they won't tell you in church (1)
I understand why they ditched her. Given the option, who would choose an old dude with a beard over that?

Popcorn I put more thought into fiction than theists put into reality.
[+] 2 users Like CleverUsername's post
03-07-2015, 03:43 PM
The Jewish priests were misogynists.

They couldn't have a woman as a god.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Mark Fulton's post
03-07-2015, 03:57 PM
(03-07-2015 03:43 PM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  The Jewish priests were misogynists.

I don't see why not she was hot.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
03-07-2015, 04:07 PM
I recommend Archaeologist William Dever's "Did God Have A Wife."

Asherah was part of the Canaanite pantheon which persisted in the region until the Persian period when...all of a sudden... the Zoroastrian concept of a boss-hooter male creation god was written into the story.

Prof. Dever explains far better than I can.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
03-07-2015, 05:08 PM
(03-07-2015 03:43 PM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  The Jewish priests were misogynists.

My understanding, and correct me if I'm wrong, is that the further back one goes into ancient history the more female gods there were.

I also read an interesting thing somewhere. In areas with mountainous and densely forested terrain the native people have many gods but as one heads into desert areas there are fewer gods. It's something about the ability to see a vast, single horizon instead of a crowded forest that translates into how many gods people relate to. The South Americans and Nordic Germanic peoples have many gods but in the Middle Eastern areas there are fewer.

Can't remember where I read this. Joseph Campbell perhaps?

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
03-07-2015, 06:48 PM
(03-07-2015 05:08 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  My understanding, and correct me if I'm wrong, is that the further back one goes into ancient history the more female gods there were.

No idea if you're right, but I can see a way in which it might make sense (for a given value of "sense").
Early on the most impressive thing around is babies. Compared to babies, spears and axes and so on don't seem like much. More than this, mothers give us life and punish us when we misbehave. So seeing "the creator" as a woman, female, "giving birth" to the world seems natural.
It's later, when we get into more deliberate, intricate works made by hand (ie, men) that thinking changes. Hang on. We have this anti-Kythera device and look at the detail work on these swords and interlocking armor and so on... isn't the world really a lot more like a well crafted thing? Plus... the world, as a whole, isn't alive, so it must have been crafted instead. God's a dude!
Then, a little later on, some bright people work out there's no reason to think there are gods at all... and people kill them. There you go. History of religion in a few paragraphs. Thank you. Yes
03-07-2015, 07:22 PM
A great number of deities were worshipped by the followers of the Canaanite religion; this is a partial listing:

Anat, virgin goddess of war and strife, sister and putative mate of Ba'al Hadad

Athirat, "walker of the sea", Mother Goddess, wife of El (also known as Elat and after the Bronze Age as Asherah)

Athtart, better known by her Greek name Astarte, assists Anat in The Myth of Ba'al

Attar, god of the morning star ("son of the morning") who tried to take the place of the dead Baal and failed. Male counterpart of Athtart.

Baalat or Baalit, the wife or female counterpart of Baal (also Belili)

Ba'al Hadad (lit. master of thunder), storm god.

Baal Hammon, god of fertility and renewer of all energies in the Phoenician colonies of the Western Mediterranean

Dagon, god of crop fertility and grain, father of Ba'al Hadad

El Elyon (lit. God Most High) and El; also transliterated as Ilu

Eshmun, god, or as Baalat Asclepius, goddess, of healing

Ishat, goddess of fire. She was slain by Anat.
Kotharat, goddesses of marriage and pregnancy

Kothar-wa-Khasis, the skilled, god of craftsmanship

Lotan, the twisting, seven-headed serpent ally of Yam

Marqod, God of Dance

Melqart, king of the city, the underworld and cycle of vegetation in Tyre

Molech or Moloch, putative god of fire

Mot or Mawat, god of death (not worshiped or given offerings)

Nikkal-wa-Ib, goddess of orchards and fruit
Qadeshtu, lit. "Holy One", putative goddess of love.

Resheph, god of plague and of healing
Shachar and Shalim, twin gods of dawn and dusk, respectively. Shalim was linked to the netherworld via the evening star and associated with peace

Shamayim, (lit. skies) the god of the heavens

Shapash, also transliterated Shapshu, goddess of the sun; sometimes equated with the Mesopotamian sun god

Shemesh whose gender is disputed

Yam (lit. sea-river) the god of the sea and the river,[8] also called Judge Nahar (judge of the river).

Sydyk, the god of righteousness or justice, sometimes twinned with Misor, and linked to the planet Jupiter

Yahweh may exist as an ending of some Amorite male names, though the only Canaanite mention of Yahweh, found on the Mesha Stele, refers to the god of Israel contrasted with Chemosh.

Yarikh, god of the moon and husband of Nikkal.

**Crickets** -- God