Knowledgeable Atheists Look Here!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-10-2015, 01:44 PM
Rainbow Knowledgeable Atheists Look Here!
Hi! Blush

I'm a guy from Sweden so as you might understand I was born an atheist (still am) and I don't necessarily believe in any religion.

Here is the thing, I have questions about life and death. As a lot of us have.

Lately I've been finding peace from these questions with thoughts about religion.

I don't want to become religious but for some reason I'm thinking it will be the only way for me to be 'happy' (read as at peace).

As I'm in no state and under way too much stress to debunk certain things myself (That I found when googling...of course).

It would truly help me if some of you guys could debunk a few articles that I will link.

As I said, I don't want to become religious but I'm starting to find peace in the idea of having a religion.

I do think that I can find peace in other things than religion but whenever I google this stuff there are always these 'true believers' that seem so convinced and fundamental and the 'sad and angry' atheists arguing for the sake of arguing.

So what do you have as a 'base' of your identity and life?
Can you find peace without a religion?
Can you find peace without always thinking of work?
(I'm quite the workoholic myself).

And here are the articles that I would love to have debunked into tiny pseudo science pieces!

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index...531AAdF8RT
(The Best Answer Part)

http://www.miraclesofthequran.com/scientific_36.html
(Yes, it's what you can expect haha)

http://www.speed-light.info/miracles_of_...index.html
(Especially the 'advanced' things)

Love you all and please help a brotha out! Smartass

TLDR: Don't flame because there is nothing to flame. Need some help to debunk a few things as I'm not in a position to look further in the subjects because I know how cults work and I can't be dragged into it.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-10-2015, 01:53 PM
RE: Knowledgeable Atheists Look Here!
Umm welcome. So you're mostly interested in Islam then??

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

19-10-2015, 01:53 PM
Welcome aboard.

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
19-10-2015, 02:02 PM
(19-10-2015 01:44 PM)notsure Wrote:  So what do you have as a 'base' of your identity and life?

Various things. This question is too vague to answer simply.

(19-10-2015 01:44 PM)notsure Wrote:  Can you find peace without a religion?

Yes.

(19-10-2015 01:44 PM)notsure Wrote:  Can you find peace without always thinking of work?

Yes.

(19-10-2015 01:44 PM)notsure Wrote:  https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index...531AAdF8RT
(The Best Answer Part)

There's nothing to debunk. It's just a bunch of vague nonsense.

(19-10-2015 01:44 PM)notsure Wrote:  http://www.miraclesofthequran.com/scientific_36.html
(Yes, it's what you can expect haha)

Harun Yayha is a known peddler of bullshit.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
[+] 2 users Like Unbeliever's post
19-10-2015, 02:23 PM
Peace without religion and without constantly thinking of work? Yes, try yoga and meditation.

I have incorporated a lot of "yogic" philosophies/principles into my own life without the woo.
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
19-10-2015, 02:45 PM
(19-10-2015 01:44 PM)notsure Wrote:  So what do you have as a 'base' of your identity and life?

I love my Gwynnies! Heart

That stuff you linked is a bunch of bullshit. I don't understand why you cannot do your own research. Huh

living word
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
19-10-2015, 02:57 PM
Since you gave relatively little background about yourself, but do seem to have several angsts on your shoulder, I would suggest professionnal help just to be on the safe side. Sorry if it sound innapropriate. I don't mean to insult.

Freedom is servitude to justice and intellectual honesty.
19-10-2015, 03:15 PM
(19-10-2015 02:02 PM)Unbeliever Wrote:  Harun Yayha is a known peddler of bullshit.

You often see fake stuff like this to try and convert people.
19-10-2015, 03:16 PM
Hello,

I can't imagine approaching a group of strangers and asking them to do unpaid work for you. You've got cajones Tongue.

Welcome to the forum

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
[+] 1 user Likes Adrianime's post
19-10-2015, 03:37 PM
Hi OP Smile

Welcome to the forum.

Quote:So what do you have as a 'base' of your identity and life?
Can you find peace without a religion?
Can you find peace without always thinking of work?

Base for identity and life? I dunno. I just wake up every morning and do stuff. Lucky for me, I have enough money and a strong economic position that my life is pretty comfortable. I work hard (I think) but it's not soul-destroying. So life is enjoyable.

I am pretty well at peace with myself. I used to be worried about all kinds of stupid things, like dying and feeling that my life was pointless. Like worrying about girlfriends and that kind of thing. I find exercise is good to keep me happy, and I am interested in lots of things, so I don't need some kind of religion to fill a void in my life. Also I decided worrying about dying is silly because life is happening right now and I can worry about dying later - briefly.

For the peace without work thing, most certainly. Why do we attach value to work? If you stopped working, would *anyone* give a shit, really? So what's the point of killing yourself with work? Do your daily work, then knock off and forget about it. You have free time - *use* it. Don't be a damn fool and give yourself ulcers working overtime for some company who will be very happy that you made them lots of money. That's not living. That's being a twit.

Regarding debunking - maybe later if I can be bothered. It's really not that hard. Mostly it's a case of "why if this shit is so hot, is it not mainstream science?" and then there's all the "it's a conspiracy, that's why" nonsense. If *any* of those charlatans ever came up with anything good scientists would be all over it - they *love* new discoveries. Those idiots rely on the general public not knowing how the scientific method and peer review works.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post