Knowledgeable Atheists Look Here!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-10-2015, 03:41 PM
RE: Knowledgeable Atheists Look Here!
(19-10-2015 01:44 PM)notsure Wrote:  Hi! Blush

I'm a guy from Sweden so as you might understand I was born an atheist (still am) and I don't necessarily believe in any religion.

Here is the thing, I have questions about life and death. As a lot of us have.

Lately I've been finding peace from these questions with thoughts about religion.

I don't want to become religious but for some reason I'm thinking it will be the only way for me to be 'happy' (read as at peace).

So, you would rather lie to yourself just to be happy?

I want top have as many true beliefs, and as few false beliefs as possible. Believing in something just because it makes me happy is anathema to me.

Quote:As I'm in no state and under way too much stress to debunk certain things myself (That I found when googling...of course).

Then don't fall for it without doing your own research.

Quote:As I said, I don't want to become religious but I'm starting to find peace in the idea of having a religion.

How would you even go about forcing yourself to believe something you know is loaded with unsupported crap, and fallacious arguments?

Quote:I do think that I can find peace in other things than religion but whenever I google this stuff there are always these 'true believers' that seem so convinced and fundamental and the 'sad and angry' atheists arguing for the sake of arguing.

There are 'true believers' convinced in all sorts of unsupported, illogical crap. The conviction with which someone believes something, offers zero evidence that the crap they believe is true.

Maybe we're 'sad and angry' because we see the acts carried out by 'true believers' being convinced of their unsupported BS?

People's beliefs do no live in a vacuum. Their beliefs inform their actions. These actions often lead to real world, negative consequences.

Would you prefer that people's actions are informed by evidence, logic and reason, or ancient texts written by superstitious Bronze and Iron Age goat herders?

Quote:So what do you have as a 'base' of your identity and life?
Can you find peace without a religion?
Can you find peace without always thinking of work?
(I'm quite the workoholic myself).

Reality.
Yes.
Yes.

Quote:And here are the articles that I would love to have debunked into tiny pseudo science pieces!

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index...531AAdF8RT
(The Best Answer Part)

http://www.miraclesofthequran.com/scientific_36.html
(Yes, it's what you can expect haha)

http://www.speed-light.info/miracles_of_...index.html
(Especially the 'advanced' things)

There is nothing to debunk.

If it is so amazing that these things are supposedly found in Koran, why weren't the best and brightest Muslim scholars of centuries ago, able to make scientific predictions using the passages?

Find me one Muslim from, say, 600 years ago, mention anything about dinosaurs, the speed of light, or describe sub-atomic particles?

Forcing religious texts to comport with modern science is ridiculous. With enough tortured interpretation, anything can be found in religious texts because the wording is so vague and poetic.

Science is not written in vague and poetic language. It is written in well defined terms, exact language and math.

While I do believe you are an atheist, a critical thinker you are not.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like Simon Moon's post
19-10-2015, 03:46 PM
You're interested in Islam? That religion that keeps destroying international treasures such as the Temple of Palmyra?

Temple of Palmyra/

Check out its status to the right of the page.

The Nobel peace prize has been awarded to only 12 muslims. 7 of them for their work against Islam and for peace in the middle east.

1 for science and 2 for other scientific studies. This is out of a total of 573 Nobel Prizes!

Kind of pathetic, would you not agree?

Islam like christianity, and the gods of New Guinea, is a sham.

I am not flaming you but advise you "man up" and face the fact you get one life. I for example, have a deadly disease. It could strike me down anytime. I don't sit at home and worry about my life. I just have to fight. And I am not alone. One look out my window shows me wild birds at war, constantly fighting for their lives and the lives of their chicks.

Islam is a barbaric religion. If you join then decide to leave, the penalty is death! Not too free or enlightened eh?

About 1000 years ago Islam was enlightened, then some religious nutcase outlawed knowledge and it has been a backwater ever since.

They have not even built a railway in the middle east. They buy all weapons of war from the West, whom they condemn. Except for their beloved AK47 and MIg fighter planes. Which routinely get shot down by F15's. I think the F15 has 40+ kills with no losses.

As Unbeliever showed you, your essayist is a known BS artist. We call them Peddlers of woo.

If you have two hours, watch this debate where a representative of Islam is destroyed by a physicist.

It is possible to live a happy life without gods, because gods don't now or ever did exist. And yet people are happy.

Especially monotheistic gods. Only one of such creatures in the entire universe? He or she would go insane. No wonder only insanity comes out of their mouths in the holy books! Either that, or insane humans wrote the books. I ask you, which is more likely?

My advice is you be happy you got to live at all.

Good luck.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 5 users Like Banjo's post
19-10-2015, 03:57 PM
Hello NotSure. Big Grin
19-10-2015, 04:06 PM
Welcome to the forum, notsure.

Just looked at your second reference and it states "Up until 20 years ago, it was believed that the smallest particles were the protons and neutrons which comprise the atom. Very recently, however, even smaller particles of which these themselves consist were discovered." 20 years ago?? You've got to be kidding me. JJ Thompson discovered the electron in 1897!! And it's much smaller than a proton or a neutron.

Discard that reference. The idiot who wrote it is...well...an ignorant idiot. I chose that one at random, but it doesn't inspire confidence in the other two. For more information on subatomic particles, here's a wiki page...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_o...iscoveries

This stuff is readily available. It took me about a minute to find it. As houseofcantor says, you need to do your own research. if you try and can't find anything, then post. but at least try.

May I ask how old you are? I'm not being snarky, I just think it's relevant. If you're between (say) 13 and 23, it's natural to have doubts. That's part of the job description. At the age of 16/17, I was pretty impressed with von Daniken's ideas. How embarrassing! Trying to take in ideas and having trouble getting my head around them is dead set normal. And, of course, those age limits are not strict: everyone has their own limits, some very much wider than most other people.

May I also ask why you think adopting a religion would make you feel more at ease? it seems like you would be signing away some of your autonomy to a being who almost certainly doesn't exist.

jennybee made a couple of suggestions: yoga and meditation. I've never engaged in either myself, but I can see how inner contemplation could be of great value to many individuals. Plus yoga is good exercise.

But based on my complete ignorance of you personally, and in the spirit of jennybee, here are a few suggestions.

Physical exercise: take up 10 km running, 3 or 4 times a week. Start off slowly.
Physical exercise: take up a martial art, 3 or 4 times a week.
Reading: read some Bertrand Russell, Wittgenstein, Richard Dawkins (ignore what the hysterics say about him). Include a bit of Harry Potter.
Humour: get onto youtube and watch/listen to Jon Stewart, Steven Colbert, George Carlin, Ylvis...the list goes on and on.
Photography: I'm not talking about taking photos of your mum and dad and your little sister (although that's inevitably par for the course). Look at composition, exposure, depth of field etc.

Of course, it's quite possible neither jennybee's suggestions nor mine are of any interest to you. I suggest that's not the point. You're looking for something and, in my opinion, you're looking at something that's not going to satisfy you (you don't actually believe). It'll be just a comfort blanket.

Best of luck.
[+] 1 user Likes jockmcdock's post
19-10-2015, 04:53 PM
(19-10-2015 01:53 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Umm welcome. So you're mostly interested in Islam then??

It has influenced me lately, yes. :-)
19-10-2015, 04:53 PM
(19-10-2015 01:53 PM)KidCharlemagne1962 Wrote:  Welcome aboard.

Thank you! :-)
19-10-2015, 05:01 PM
(19-10-2015 02:02 PM)Unbeliever Wrote:  
(19-10-2015 01:44 PM)notsure Wrote:  So what do you have as a 'base' of your identity and life?

Various things. This question is too vague to answer simply.

(19-10-2015 01:44 PM)notsure Wrote:  Can you find peace without a religion?

Yes.

(19-10-2015 01:44 PM)notsure Wrote:  Can you find peace without always thinking of work?

Yes.

(19-10-2015 01:44 PM)notsure Wrote:  https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index...531AAdF8RT
(The Best Answer Part)

There's nothing to debunk. It's just a bunch of vague nonsense.

(19-10-2015 01:44 PM)notsure Wrote:  http://www.miraclesofthequran.com/scientific_36.html
(Yes, it's what you can expect haha)

Harun Yayha is a known peddler of bullshit.

Thank you for your answers, kind of a crap website you linked to (much like the one I linked to!).
19-10-2015, 05:02 PM
(19-10-2015 02:23 PM)jennybee Wrote:  Peace without religion and without constantly thinking of work? Yes, try yoga and meditation.

I have incorporated a lot of "yogic" philosophies/principles into my own life without the woo.

I actually do yoga for exercise about three times a week, I used to meditate but I don't do that anymore. I try to run instead! Smile

Thanks!
[+] 1 user Likes notsure's post
19-10-2015, 05:03 PM
(19-10-2015 02:45 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  
(19-10-2015 01:44 PM)notsure Wrote:  So what do you have as a 'base' of your identity and life?

I love my Gwynnies! Heart

That stuff you linked is a bunch of bullshit. I don't understand why you cannot do your own research. Huh

What's a Gwynnie? Rolleyes

Because I don't want to get sucked into it, I basically just want an easy answer since I thought some people might've been through this already!
19-10-2015, 05:05 PM
(19-10-2015 02:57 PM)epronovost Wrote:  Since you gave relatively little background about yourself, but do seem to have several angsts on your shoulder, I would suggest professionnal help just to be on the safe side. Sorry if it sound innapropriate. I don't mean to insult.

Don't we all?, it's just a lot of work and studying going on currently! Basically pushing 14h / days 6 days / week....

I can see how you would think that! I've had some angst problems before and I've had help, nothing 'big' though. Thanks for caring! Don't worry about it.