Knowledgeable Atheists Look Here!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-10-2015, 08:09 PM
RE: Knowledgeable Atheists Look Here!
(19-10-2015 07:49 PM)Siz Wrote:  I found embracing the meaninglessness of god-free (not god-less) existence rather refreshing and liberating. Laugh into the face of the abyss. Go off and stick your middle finger up the bum of human morality... or wherever else it feels good! Be objective. Read Nietzche.

YES!

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
19-10-2015, 09:29 PM
(19-10-2015 05:16 PM)notsure Wrote:  It's less of filling a void and more of a reason not to stress in life, something deeper, something more, something to relax on, something that doesn't dissapear when shit hits the fan...get it?
I think people who grow up in an atheistic society are possibly more susceptible to religion than those of us who grow up religious and leave. You need to know that religion is bad news amigo. Firstly, in my experience at least, it most certainly is not something you can rely on. When the shit hits the fan, sure you can pray, but boyo, you better be ready to make a plan 'cos God ain't gonna do dick for you. Neither (in the most part) are your fellow believers. Easy to pray for you, not easy to walk a mile in your shoes.

Quote:I've found love to answer a lot of my questions, love for my fiancé, love for what I do, love for my friends and love for my fellow human beings.
Love is not the same as religion. I experience love as deep as any religious person that I've met. Why would I cloud a pure emotion with a bunch of rules?

Quote:About the debunking, I'm looking for answers...claims that gives reaffirmation of certain things makes it very easy to believe in it and hard to refute it.
No idea what you're saying here. If you read something and don't think about ways in which it might be wrong, you are destined to believe some silly things. The religious are frequently pushing an agenda. If you knew that an article has a high chance of being written by a con-man, you'd read it with a skeptical eye. Assume that every article you read is written by a con-man, atheism-related or religion related. See who backs up their argument and who tries to gloss over problem areas.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
19-10-2015, 09:40 PM
(19-10-2015 03:16 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  Hello,

I can't imagine approaching a group of strangers and asking them to do unpaid work for you. You've got cajones Tongue.

Welcome to the forum

correction:
cajones = boxes

COJONES = brass balls

(thanks for the laugh and I agree with your assessment)

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 2 users Like Full Circle's post
19-10-2015, 09:51 PM
(19-10-2015 09:29 PM)morondog Wrote:  Love is not the same as religion. I experience love as deep as any religious person that I've met. Why would I cloud a pure emotion with a bunch of rules?

[Image: 864aem.jpg]

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 4 users Like Full Circle's post
19-10-2015, 09:51 PM
(19-10-2015 01:44 PM)notsure Wrote:  ...
and the 'sad and angry' atheists arguing for the sake of arguing.

Anger can be healthy. I'm a happy and occasionally angry atheist.

I read (on here yesterday) about how someone here has recovered from the child-abuse (I'm not exaggerating) of a US church's indoctrination techniques. She's scarred but no longer scared.

I felt anger then happiness that she had escaped.

I live in an officially Islamic country and it angers me to see women treated as inferior because that is sanctioned by the Quran.

And, sorry, but what is wrong with "arguing for the sake of arguing"?

You've heard of Socrates, yes? Ancient Greek super-troll.

(19-10-2015 05:16 PM)notsure Wrote:  ...
About the debunking, I'm looking for answers...claims that gives reaffirmation of certain things makes it very easy to believe in it and hard to refute it.

Perhaps it would be more productive to post a series of specific claims as you find them; say why they trouble you; say why they appeal to you.

It's easier for us to address them individually and it's also more useful for other, future, casual readers to follow.

(19-10-2015 05:30 PM)notsure Wrote:  ...
I don't agree on your views of Islam though, I can understand why you would think that but I don't agree that it's a barbaric worldview. I've seen a ton of loving people with that worldview.

As I said, I live in an officially Islamic country. I very much agree that there are many tons of loving people but, y'know what?

When you dig deeper, you'll notice that they are loving irrespective of their 'worldview'. Why? because their worldview is formed by human stuff like empathy and reciprocity.

Fortunately, they do not take their scriptures literally. For them, it's a 'framework' (guidebook) and not a 'standard' (compliance).

Not all Jews are barbaric even though their scriptures contain a ton of immoral shit (by today's standards).

Not all christians are barbaric even though their scriptures contain a ton of immoral shit (by today's standards).

Not all muslims are barbaric even though their scriptures contain a ton of immoral shit (by today's standards).

I have read all those religious texts.

I'm still reading Hindu stuff and Buddhist stuff ... hardly anything barbaric by today's standards... credit where it's due.

For your peace of mind, you need to improve your ability to separate wheat from chaff.

This requires critical thinking skills and reading up on logical fallacies.

Ask yourself, for example, why, freewill is a hot topic amongst Islamic scholars. How come, if the Quran teaches that everything (including my disbelief) is the will of Allah? If this is true, then there is no freewill. If that's true, then the universe is deterministic (it's already written in Allah's book) and nothing we do, good or evil, matters.

This means that the scholars (who want to have freewill and therefore a basis for ethics) need to find texts that support freewill and feed these texts to their unthinking flock.

It's a lot of hard work to keep their premises (presuppositions) intact so why do it?

These are interesting questions to ponder ...

... and argue over for the sake of arguing.

It's a wonderful journey, my friend. Welcome aboard the knowledge train.

Wink

[+] 5 users Like DLJ's post
20-10-2015, 10:07 AM
(19-10-2015 01:44 PM)notsure Wrote:  Hi! Blush

I'm a guy from Sweden so as you might understand I was born an atheist (still am) and I don't necessarily believe in any religion.

Here is the thing, I have questions about life and death. As a lot of us have.

Lately I've been finding peace from these questions with thoughts about religion.

I don't want to become religious but for some reason I'm thinking it will be the only way for me to be 'happy' (read as at peace).

As I'm in no state and under way too much stress to debunk certain things myself (That I found when googling...of course).

It would truly help me if some of you guys could debunk a few articles that I will link.

As I said, I don't want to become religious but I'm starting to find peace in the idea of having a religion.

I do think that I can find peace in other things than religion but whenever I google this stuff there are always these 'true believers' that seem so convinced and fundamental and the 'sad and angry' atheists arguing for the sake of arguing.

So what do you have as a 'base' of your identity and life?
Can you find peace without a religion?
Can you find peace without always thinking of work?
(I'm quite the workoholic myself).

And here are the articles that I would love to have debunked into tiny pseudo science pieces!

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index...531AAdF8RT
(The Best Answer Part)

http://www.miraclesofthequran.com/scientific_36.html
(Yes, it's what you can expect haha)

http://www.speed-light.info/miracles_of_...index.html
(Especially the 'advanced' things)

Love you all and please help a brotha out! Smartass

TLDR: Don't flame because there is nothing to flame. Need some help to debunk a few things as I'm not in a position to look further in the subjects because I know how cults work and I can't be dragged into it.

Hello notsure,

What do I base my life and identity on? Well work is a big part of my life and also a huge part of my identity. Besides my family it is the most important part and without it I wouldn't have my family. Productive achievement is not only a practical necessity for men but also a profound spiritual need.

I base my life on reality. That means using reason as my only means of knowledge and guide to action. Reason tells me that I not only need to provide for my needs as a living person but also that I need to do so in a way that doesn't clash with my values and allows me to use my abilities and my mind to the fullest extent possible.

Fortunately, I love my work so it really isn't like work at all but fun and extremely satisfying. But sometimes I need to rest from it and so I do other things as well like mountain biking.

Can I find peace without religion? Well yes, absolutely. I am much more peaceful now that I am no longer religious. I found my peace through rational philosophy, namely Objectivism. It has profoundly changed my life for the better. I think that's because it is reality based. I don't have to imagine it and then pretend it is true. Every part of it and every tenet is validated by observing reality and it does not contain any internal contradictions.

Can I find peace without always thinking of work? Yes I can take a break from it but I enjoy it so much that I do go back to it soon and I think that it is not a bad thing. I don't know where the line should be drawn. I mean if your family leaves you or your wife or you never take a break then I think you have crossed the line.

You don't need religion. It is a false peace at best and I think it will only make you miserable if you take it seriously. What you need is a rational philosophy. It will guide you better than any religious program and help you to answer all these questions you have. Please, please don't turn to religion for answers. It's all a sham.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
[+] 2 users Like true scotsman's post
20-10-2015, 10:30 AM
What do I base my life on? In no particular order: Not being a complete piece of shit toward others. Letting other people be who they are as long as it doesn't hurt anyone else. Trying to enjoy life. Enjoying video games. Enjoying my work. Keeping my wife happy. Keeping myself happy. Etc. Not sure if that's what you were looking for...

As for reason for living- I don't find that life has an inherent meaning. We give life a meaning of our own, and live according to it.

Peace without religion: Not a difficult one. I thought it would be, but it's really not. The understanding that when I die, there will be "nothing" is comforting enough for me. No more pain, no more difficulties, no more "me". It's easy, and it's hard to come to terms with at the same time. It doesn't give me pause any longer, but at first it was like jumping into a pool. The water is nicer than you think!
[+] 3 users Like Emma's post
20-10-2015, 10:33 AM
(19-10-2015 09:51 PM)DLJ Wrote:  You've heard of Socrates, yes? Ancient Greek super-troll.

If anybody's gonna do revisionist history, by Gwynnies, let it be DLJ. Wink

living word
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like houseofcantor's post
20-10-2015, 10:39 AM
(20-10-2015 10:33 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  
(19-10-2015 09:51 PM)DLJ Wrote:  You've heard of Socrates, yes? Ancient Greek super-troll.

If anybody's gonna do revisionist history, by Gwynnies, let it be DLJ. Wink

You're welcome.

Big Grin

On a side note. I'm seriously considering re-writing Republic in net-speech (but I'll bet if I google, someone'll have done it already).

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
20-10-2015, 03:21 PM
(19-10-2015 05:26 PM)notsure Wrote:  Not sure how to quote, but here we go!

Yes I'd rather be happy!

I never said that the only way to be happy is to lie to yourself.

There is a great deal of happiness derived from not having one's mind cluttered with a bunch of false beliefs.

There is a great deal of happiness derived from knowing, that even though we might not have all true beliefs, that at least we are using he only path we know of getting to the truth. Evidence, logic and reasoned argument.

Faith, or believing something because it makes you happy is not a path to truth.

There is a great deal of happiness derived from the fact, that when provided with evidence for a new discovery, we don't have to reject it simply because it contradicts some religious text. Having an open mind brings a lot of happiness.

These things, along with friends, family, a rewarding relationship, hobbies, the contentment in doing a good job in one's career, art, music, literature...the list of real things that can bring happiness is endless. Chose some and live your life without the need for superstition.

Quote:Because it can give me peace in certain questions.

So can a life long search for truth, close friends, family, loved ones, etc, etc.
[+] 2 users Like Simon Moon's post