Knowlege is Power

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-05-2010, 07:02 AM

Knowlege is Power
One interesting thing I find in talking with Christians is that I as an Atheist tend to 90% of the time have a far greater knowlege of their sacred text than they do. You would think that a book as powerful as the Bible, and one central to a HUGE belief system would be studied to death by it's followers. The average Christian can't tell you who wrote the Bible (besides God of course), when it was written, or what language it was written in. They just accept it? Admittedly many have read it, and even studied it, so why not find out where it came from. Most christians think Jesus was a well known historical figure, and are surprised to learn that outside of the Bible he's non-existent. I don't ever really try to convert anybody, but I've made one or two people uncomfortable when they find out I'm not ignorant of their beliefs even though I'm an Atheist.
Quote this message in a reply
27-05-2010, 02:31 PM

RE: Knowlege is Power
It is interesting to point out that Bart Ehrman was quite religious before he started to dive into the origins of the bible. He's now an agnostic/atheist.

I think Bart's example is probably what most Christians fear the most...the more they learn about the bible, the less likely it is they will be believers.

If you recall some history around the spread of Christianity, early church elders did not allow people to read the bible. It had to be recited to them in church. Could it be that, even back then (starting from the early 1200's), church elders feared that the 'truth' they were so blatantly trying to spread would actually be called out as a big fat lie?

I have to admit that I never read the bible growing up. My religious upbringing was 'passive', in that any theological dogma I heard was taught to me verbally, with no adamancy about actually reading the text. It is since I came out as an Atheist that I finally dove into reading the bible, and further reading into its source, and realizing that it was nothing but a set of laws for an early Israeli tribe to keep them in line.

My question to this is how did we get to here from there? Weren't there scholars (unbiased ones at that) that put their hand up and said "um, this isn't really something society should be following" or "the people that conjured this up didn't know any better"?

And here we are today, trying to keep this bullshit out of our schools.
27-05-2010, 10:47 PM

It is interesting to point out that Bart Ehrman was quite religious before he started to dive into the origins of the bible.Knowledge is definitely power.Because to understand the World, is to accept it. Ignorance is bliss may be true to some degree, but I would declare that ignorance without understanding is not truly bliss.Knowledge gives you some power over your own life however too much knowledge can stifle your growth.
05-06-2010, 02:38 PM

just say amen and accept everything the priest is sayin...

to think about something or to study it, that is work... most ppl dislike it to edcuate themselve and to work... thats why most never read it... even if everyone have 1-3 of them at home..