Koran burned after Fla. church "trial"

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 3 Average
22-03-2011, 01:08 PM

Wink Koran burned after Fla. church "trial"
[Image: 5307772.jpg]

After a mock trial found the Muslim holy book guilty, a copy of the Koran is burned at a Gainesville, Fla., church, Sunday, March 20, 2011

March 22, 2011
Koran burned after Fla. church "trial"
Pastor Terry Jones presides as judge over mock execution of Islamic holy book after jury finds it guilty of crimes against humanity. (Full Article)

Oh hell, I love this. Now if others would commence to burning the Bible and the Torah, for the same offense it would be an excellent consistent demonstration of equality under law. Tongue *flicks lighter*
Quote this message in a reply
22-03-2011, 01:11 PM
RE: Koran burned after Fla. church "trial"
Lol, I really hope people do the same thing to a bible and upload it, or put it on the news. =P

Also, looking at the picture, I'm a little disappointed that his tie didn't catch as well..

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo

"Every man is guilty of all the good he did not do." - Voltaire
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-03-2011, 01:15 PM
Oi vay...

Of all the ideas put forth by science, it is the principle of Superposition that can undo any power of the gods. For the accumulation of smaller actions has the ability to create, destroy, and move the world.

"I am the master of my fate, I am the captain of my soul." -W. E. Henley
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
22-03-2011, 01:24 PM

(22-03-2011 01:11 PM)daemonowner Wrote:  Also, looking at the picture, I'm a little disappointed that his tie didn't catch as well..
Well, he's a minister. Otherwise, it's nothing that a good sprinkle of alcohol wouldn't have cured. Wink Or, maybe he just wanted it to catch and burn sloowwlly.
22-03-2011, 04:09 PM
I think someone once said the worst form of censorship is burning books.
Yes they are offensive but book burning has a horrible history to be attributed with the worst kind of ideologies that cannot stand criticism.
I can answer the points in the Koran and I'm not afraid of its ideas.Burning it is on par with the Nazi or the Inquisition.Only those fearful or incapable of answering ideas censor them.

Atheism is a religion like OFF is a TV channel !!!

Proud of my genetic relatives Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes gaglamesh731's post
22-03-2011, 05:31 PM

(22-03-2011 04:09 PM)gaglamesh731 Wrote:  I think someone once said the worst form of censorship is burning books.
Yes they are offensive but book burning has a horrible history to be attributed with the worst kind of ideologies that cannot stand criticism.
I can answer the points in the Koran and I'm not afraid of its ideas.Burning it is on par with the Nazi or the Inquisition.Only those fearful or incapable of answering ideas censor them.
We burn flag's in the name of freedom of speech. So one might see this not as censorship, because by definition burning this Koran isn't going to stifle over a billion Muslims around the world. We burn Bibles, in the name of free speech as well.

And besides the Muslim faith recognizes burning the Koran as the one true way of disposing of a damaged copy. Or of removing the pages of abrogated verses. The same goes for a damaged Bible or Torah. And a nations flag, that's damaged and can no longer be flown in full colors without tatter or tear.

To compare burning a book with the Nazi history or the Inquisition sends the message one is woefully unaware of the history of those campaigns. They are in no wise similar.
23-03-2011, 07:10 AM
Quote:To compare burning a book with the Nazi history or the Inquisition sends the message one is woefully unaware of the history of those campaigns. They are in no wise similar.
Did they burn the book because it was old or tattered ?
NO
They burnt it because they disagree and can't handle it.
Yes it's freedom of speech but it's no better then what WBC does.They can do it if they want to - but it's just pitiful.

"What progress we are making. In the Middle Ages they would have burned me. Now they are content with burning my books." ~Sigmund Freud, 1933

23-03-2011, 08:37 AM

(23-03-2011 07:10 AM)gaglamesh731 Wrote:  
Quote:To compare burning a book with the Nazi history or the Inquisition sends the message one is woefully unaware of the history of those campaigns. They are in no wise similar.
Did they burn the book because it was old or tattered ?
NO
They burnt it because they disagree and can't handle it.
Yes it's freedom of speech but it's no better then what WBC does.They can do it if they want to - but it's just pitiful.

"What progress we are making. In the Middle Ages they would have burned me. Now they are content with burning my books." ~Sigmund Freud, 1933
It's the message sent. That Minister wasn't burning the Koran to protest Islam. He was burning the Koran to protest that what compels the same far right ultra right wing Fundamentalist that burn people, behead American contractors, burn Bibles, Burn Crosses,behead atheists, make homosexuality a death penalty offense, kill raped child daughters, behead women simply accused of adultery because those women don't stand a chance defending themselves in "court", because a woman's testimony is worth half of that of a mans. That fly planes into buildings to protest the Great Satan America. That install IED's at roadsides, strap children with explosives, wrap women carrying newborns with explosives, so all of those tactics can slaughter the Infidels and the murderers can achieve paradise according to the Sura that tells them so.

It's a book. That's taken so seriously chapter and verse, that it is used as the excuse to do so, and has been since it's first printing. When temples of other religions were desecrated during the Muslim wars and upon their foundation were erected Mosques, so as to stand as a message in itself a superior faith has taken root here.
Burning the Koran is symbolic. Just like burning in effigy figures of our Presidents, that Gainesville Minister, and even going so far as to find effigy isn't enough so the bodies of near dead contractors blown up by IED's are set afire after they're beaten and then hung over the side of a bridge in Iraq so as to send it's own message to everyone who watched. Whether it be the west thanks to You Tube and edited broadcasts on the nightly news, or Al Jazeera .

That's what's pitiful. Because the book that inspires that kind of psychosis by those claiming to follow it's commandments chapter and verse, doesn't bleed.
23-03-2011, 05:26 PM
And how do you think people will take the book burning ?
Simply as a protest or a direct assault on their most desperately guarded values ?
My only worry is that this is counter productive. That instead of making people less radical they will see the west as monsters and jump into radical arms.
The Koran is just a book.
We can handle it - we have the reason and logic to debunk it at any said time. We don't have to burn it just to show off. We have to take the superior political position in this matter. We have to stand on a pillar and shout louder than any extremist imam out there : "look at the west.we are not out to destroy you.those are lies.look at our actions".
The violent , provocative , "in your face" attitude is not the best course of action.Reason , empathy and respect for our fellow man may prove invaluable in convincing them to abandon a violent dogma hammered into them fro birth.
I'd rather "convert" radicals than fight them.

23-03-2011, 06:03 PM
I agree that book burning, at one time, would be as offensive as you say it is, Gaglamesh. But today? In this age of the internet and having a veritable library on my cell phone? It's really not as detrimental as it's being made out to be.

The only tragedy here is that the Christians burning the Qur'an will never see the irony of their action. I would call their actions un-Christian-like, but sadly it is very Christian-like.

Be polite.
Be efficient.
Have a plan to kill everyone you meet.