Koran burned after Fla. church "trial"

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 3 Average
26-03-2011, 04:09 PM
RE: Koran burned after Fla. church "trial"
Well, there are so many of them and they keep changing so it certainly has been a challenge. I'd be happy if you picked one and stuck with it. It would certainly make it a lot easier to follow you.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-03-2011, 04:21 PM

(26-03-2011 04:09 PM)BnW Wrote:  Well, there are so many of them and they keep changing so it certainly has been a challenge. I'd be happy if you picked one and stuck with it. It would certainly make it a lot easier to follow you.

Perhaps it's just a matter of your reading comprehension being a bit off. Because there's never been an issue of "so many of them" with my statements. But if that is what helps you to cope, you go for it. I'm done. I've seen you attach the accusation of 'strawmen' to others who have attempted to enter into a debate or a simple dialog with you. I didn't pay it much mind, because it wasn't my business. Now that it is, I see your tactic for what it is and quite frankly, for shame.
Quote this message in a reply
27-03-2011, 03:52 PM
So everyone who "misinterprets" your writing is at fault? The writing itself cannot possibly be to blame?

Even if we take your new clarification on the sentence I noted, it's still wrong. Radical Islamic fundamentalism has morphed in the past 1400 years. There've been schisms even within Islam over the shifting paradigm.
27-03-2011, 07:42 PM
I seem to have hit a nerve. And, for a change, I wasn't drilling for nerve so I'm going to try again.

First, I'm honestly not trying to pick a fight with you, so hopefully you'll read my comments in that vein. Now, with that said, I'm pretty sure the issue here is not my reading comprehension. I've a pretty firm grasp on the English language and understand it when I read it. What I do think is going on is - and forgive me if this comes off as a pejorative because it's not meant that way - that you have more of an opinion as opposed to a position. You have an opinion on radical Muslims or on the Westboro morons and from there you form your view on these issues. But, your positions have been, whether you realize it or not, inconsistent.

Your issue, for example with the USSC decision on the Westboro issue was not based on distance from the funerals. At least, that's not what you articulated. You were bringing up "fighting words" exceptions to speech which really is a very different issue than time, place or manner restrictions on speech. And, here you've seemed to equate average people who do not in any way, shape or form represent the government or anyone but themselves disagreeing with what this wingnut did with some kind of violation of his First Amendment rights. His First Amendment rights are not at all violated by my expressing mine and saying that I think he's proven himself to be a jackass.

Anyway, that's my kind of answer to this whole thing.

Oh, as for the "strawman" comment, you've confused me with someone else. I won't say you've never seen me use that term before but if you have it has been on very rare occasions. I tend to think it is one of the most overused terms in debate and I generally avoid using it at all costs. I used it here because, well, quite honestly, countering an argument with a defense that no one made is a classic strawman and I couldn't think of another word. If that was not your intent, then I retract the comment.

Oh, and final thought: you continue to have the best signatures. Didn't love the "coffee" one but this one is outstanding!

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost