Koran burning

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-04-2011, 08:06 AM
Koran burning
Why do religions feel like they have some special statues that allow them to bully everyone? This is the kind news that makes me feel that atheist need to speak out more against such hate.

http://video.foxnews.com/v/4626676/koran...ion-part-1

Thunderfoot on youtube made an interesting video I'm still trying to figure out how I fell about, but I want to know what other people think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2z-YHF_G...ture=feedf

As a side, note why can't we get some decent news channels?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-04-2011, 10:47 AM
RE: Koran burning
I think it's sickening that some Muslims still feel like it's ok to kill people over stuff like that.

Since they behave that way I would feel justified burning Koran just to send a message. The only thing stopping me is that I wouldn't waste the money buying a Koran.

I think book burning is stupid and pointless, but if they start killing over this they need to learn a lesson.
10-04-2011, 06:36 PM
Here's my position on things, quoted from myself on a comment I made on a video against Thunderf00t's recent "Burning Half a Million Qurans" video someone posted for discussion on Facebook:

Quote:I can't decide my position on it. On one hand it seems like a petty bit of whining, but on the other hand I can see how asserting that religious law enforcement has no place in the civilized world. I'm treading on thin ice to avoid a slippery slope logical fallacy, but it really does seem to me like the likes of blasphemy laws are just begging to be a stepping stone towards something even more restrictive.

I don't quite support burning in the US yet--I don't think we have any threat of religious law closing in any time soon--least of all Islamic, given prejudices. Tongue I do, however, support the burning in the UK, where it has already been illegalized. I think book burning is terrible, too, but I think restricted freedom of expression is far worse.

I've got a few Muslim friends, I wouldn't want to offend them any more than I'd want to offend my Christian friends or family. But if my Christian friends and family passed a bill illegalizing Bible burning, freedom of expression is prioritized over freedom from offense in my priority list.

Just as a protest to Islam? No Quran burning. As a protest against limited expression? Grab your lighters. Just my opinion, of course, and I'm not going to be taking part since I'm not threatened in the least bit. Tongue

...I guess I did decide my position on it.

"It does feel like something to be wrong; it feels like being right." -Kathryn Schulz
I am 100% certain that I am wrong about something I am certain about right now. Because even if everything I stand for turns out to be completely true, I was still wrong about being wrong.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-04-2011, 08:45 PM
I don't think book burning is a good idea. Mainly because, historically, the book burning community is not the kind of people you want to be associated with.

I want to rip off your superstitions and make passionate sense to you
[+] 2 users Like Norseman's post
11-04-2011, 08:02 PM
Just saw an interesting video on this topic..

[+] 2 users Like DeepThought's post
11-04-2011, 09:34 PM
I don't really like the idea of burning literature, but I have to agree with kittae. To protect your freedom of expression it's fine. As the Baptists in our country did it though, very wrong, that is just outright wasteful. Wasting resources, and destroying literature. And also just plain rude.
11-04-2011, 10:39 PM
That was a good video. Someone should invite her to join us.

I want to rip off your superstitions and make passionate sense to you
22-04-2011, 08:21 PM

(11-04-2011 09:34 PM)TheKetola Wrote:  Wasting resources, and destroying literature. And also just plain rude.

Seriously? "Wasting resources..." What kind of 'resource' is a Qur'an, or Bible, or Torah...other than possible...

...kindling?
Quote this message in a reply
23-04-2011, 10:11 PM
Excellent video. She is absolutely right about what the reactions say about the cultures. Even those of the Muslim culture that are against the reaction of their more fanatic countrymen have got to realise that they (as a culture) are doing nothing to inhibit that kind of behavior.

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.