Korea

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-08-2017, 10:21 PM
RE: Korea
(09-08-2017 09:53 AM)jerry mcmasters Wrote:  
(08-08-2017 09:55 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  When the stakes are nuclear, the calculus changes.

I don't know, spineless runs pretty deep and political courage is pretty rare. I hope you're right and there is some kind of bi-partisan joint congressional team meeting with Trump demanding to be in on the loop with full information on what Trump is planning to do, if anything, and why. I guess the old War Powers Act is still in effect and legally Trump could "shock and awe" first and explain to Congress later...but Congress needs to take the initiative and force their way in on the decision making.

There is bipartisan criticism of Trump's handling of this crisis even as I type this post.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
10-08-2017, 07:37 AM
(09-08-2017 10:21 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  
(09-08-2017 09:53 AM)jerry mcmasters Wrote:  I don't know, spineless runs pretty deep and political courage is pretty rare. I hope you're right and there is some kind of bi-partisan joint congressional team meeting with Trump demanding to be in on the loop with full information on what Trump is planning to do, if anything, and why. I guess the old War Powers Act is still in effect and legally Trump could "shock and awe" first and explain to Congress later...but Congress needs to take the initiative and force their way in on the decision making.

There is bipartisan criticism of Trump's handling of this crisis even as I type this post.

I'm not watching the news too closely so you may be more in tune with that. I see McCain's criticisms, and a senator is saying the pres can't make a preemptive attack without congress' consent (wrong) and of course I see Democratic complaints that we could expect no matter what the issue.

I would like to see Congress immediately go into session and make a provision to the War Powers Act excluding North Korea and explicitly pass a law that Trump may not preemptively strike North Korea without Congressional approval (he can of course respond to an attack). Instead we're just going to get a bunch of "I don't like the way Trump's handling this" shit. So do something about it, cowards.

Trump would probably welcome this just the way he doesn't really want to deal with healthcare or tax reform or anything else. If responsibility is taken away from him he can use his favorite words, "It's not my fault" and get back to the golf course.

Except Bizarro Trump in NK now wants to lob missiles off the coast of Guam. Everyone's going to suffer because of these two children.
[+] 2 users Like jerry mcmasters's post
10-08-2017, 07:55 AM
(09-08-2017 10:21 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  There is bipartisan criticism of Trump's handling of this crisis even as I type this post.

It's a made crisis in any case. NK is only reacting to the bawling coming from the White House.

[Image: Labrador%20and%20Title.jpg]
10-08-2017, 08:49 AM
$150 says nothing other than puff and blustering sabre rattling will happen. Big Grin
[+] 2 users Like adey67's post
10-08-2017, 10:39 AM
(10-08-2017 08:49 AM)adey67 Wrote:  $150 says nothing other than puff and blustering sabre rattling will happen. Big Grin

Give it two weeks and we will be back to normal...for better or worse.

Freedom is servitude to justice and intellectual honesty.
10-08-2017, 10:53 AM
(10-08-2017 08:49 AM)adey67 Wrote:  $150 says nothing other than puff and blustering sabre rattling will happen. Big Grin

I'll take that bet. Complacency seems to be some kind of disease with Trump opponents. You think he can't possibly do that, and he does it, then you say "but of course he can't possibly do THIS, THIS is much worse!!!" And then he does THIS as well Facepalm If nothing does happen, fucken A, but it'll be a narrow escape. And it won't guarantee that nothing will happen the next time or the next.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
10-08-2017, 11:06 AM
(10-08-2017 10:53 AM)morondog Wrote:  If nothing does happen, fucken A, but it'll be a narrow escape. And it won't guarantee that nothing will happen the next time or the next.

There's a lot of people in Washington who have a whole lot to lose by the global economy doing a nose dive. Sure, they don't care much about yellow people, but if Seoul goes up in flames, the global stock market will plummet. If Tokyo takes some damage, it will go deep underground for decades to come. My guess is, the sane and money grabbing people will see this baffoon removed on whatever grounds, once he gets serious.

[Image: Labrador%20and%20Title.jpg]
10-08-2017, 11:14 AM
(10-08-2017 11:06 AM)abaris Wrote:  
(10-08-2017 10:53 AM)morondog Wrote:  If nothing does happen, fucken A, but it'll be a narrow escape. And it won't guarantee that nothing will happen the next time or the next.

There's a lot of people in Washington who have a whole lot to lose by the global economy doing a nose dive. Sure, they don't care much about yellow people, but if Seoul goes up in flames, the global stock market will plummet. If Tokyo takes some damage, it will go deep underground for decades to come. My guess is, the sane and money grabbing people will see this baffoon removed on whatever grounds, once he gets serious.

A lot of those same so-far-sighted people have been playing chicken with the global economy for the past few years if not decades. Now they're suddenly going to stop? I sure hope you're right though. He's given ample grounds for removal right now. Immediately. No more fucking around. A president who plays with world security on a whim over a dinner table question is not fit by *any* measure.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
10-08-2017, 11:16 AM
(10-08-2017 10:53 AM)morondog Wrote:  

I'll take that bet. Complacency seems to be some kind of disease with Trump opponents. You think he can't possibly do that, and he does it, then you say "but of course he can't possibly do THIS, THIS is much worse!!!" And then he does THIS as well Facepalm If nothing does happen, fucken A, but it'll be a narrow escape. And it won't guarantee that nothing will happen the next time or the next.

I don't think he has been that bad. Then again, I am only evaluating Obama based on how he helped/hurt me. If he didn't do me so wrong, I might have tossed my vote at an independent. What happens when you decide to smack down a large segment of the population? Your party gets denied. If Hillary runs again next election, or worse Chelsea Clinton (throws up in mouth a little), I will again vote republican. Keep that in mind for the primaries next time around. I don't agree with Trump on everything and he is capable of being wrong, but ocare has got to get shredded.
10-08-2017, 11:29 AM
(10-08-2017 07:37 AM)jerry mcmasters Wrote:  Except Bizarro Trump in NK now wants to lob missiles off the coast of Guam. Everyone's going to suffer because of these two children.

Kim should take note of what Trump said repeatedly. If missiles going to be dropped anywhere then,
America first!

America first!
America first!

“I am not responsible for actions of the imaginary version of me you have inside your head.” - John Scalzi

[+] 1 user Likes Norm Deplume's post