Korea

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-07-2017, 05:20 PM
RE: Korea
(07-07-2017 03:45 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  
(07-07-2017 02:36 PM)morondog Wrote:  Oh that's a fucking *great* idea. Let's make an already volatile situation unbelievably more dangerous. Fuck sakes. Where do you geniuses get your ideas?

C'mon, MD -- it's not like the NoKors will sign away the regime's insurance policy without encouragement. Would it make it more dangerous? I'm not so sure. I mean, as mad as MAD was, it kept armies on base and fleet busy scraping paint rather than reloading.

I don't see another solution outside of confronting threat with threat. I don't think it should be American weapons; I think if Japan and SoKor feel that threatened they should take their own steps.

But I don't think NoKor will sacrifice its only bargaining chip at the negotiating table.

The idea that I object to is this ridiculous idea that China will feel pressure to comply if we juuuust add a few more nukes to the equation - they will allegedly "shit themselves" Facepalm. Sure they'll feel pressure. Think they'll back down? Please. They'll build up their own nukes in response. It'll be cold war all over again. Except this time some idiot might really push the button.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-07-2017, 05:34 PM
We could move our entire nuclear arsenal to Seoul. What difference would it make? Is it going to kill you twice if it's closer? Same with the Cuban Missile Crisis. Russia and China can move their entire arsenal to Havana. I don't give a fuck. The problem is that they exist on the same planet. Not proximity. Shit, if that's what I was worried about I wouldn't have driven through North Dakata. The Chinese will build more nukes if they want to.

I mentioned this before but PAKISTAN has nukes. Those fuckers don't just yackityyack like lil kim. They actually blow shit up.
07-07-2017, 06:25 PM
(07-07-2017 05:17 PM)Fireball Wrote:  
(07-07-2017 04:44 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  Be fair. He wasn't having a "hard-on" about thing, just simply stating what should be an obvious fact. He certainly wasn't dancing around about a nuclear confrontation.

Read the words he wrote, and not with your preconceived notions in place. He's absolutely right -- there are nuclear-armed subs patrolling the Pacific and they no doubt have NoKor target co-ordinates preprogammed into their systems. Saying as much is not "getting a hard-on" ... it's just a fact.

Yes I'd like to think that their presence would make it so that Japan and South Korea don't need to spend the money on developing and deploying nukes. That IMO, would simply ratchet tensions higher.

Perhaps. The threat of two advanced states on China's proximity going nuclear-capable in, say, five years, might make Beijing rethink supporting such a regime.

It's my understanding that the Chinese are working behind the scenes, but unless they're willing to do dirty work, the Kims will be running NoKor for the foreseeable future. And I'd just as soon see the neighboring nations take up their own defense rather than involve American GIs, and American prestige and resources, basking under our umbrella.
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
07-07-2017, 06:36 PM (This post was last modified: 07-07-2017 06:52 PM by Thumpalumpacus.)
(07-07-2017 05:20 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(07-07-2017 03:45 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  C'mon, MD -- it's not like the NoKors will sign away the regime's insurance policy without encouragement. Would it make it more dangerous? I'm not so sure. I mean, as mad as MAD was, it kept armies on base and fleet busy scraping paint rather than reloading.

I don't see another solution outside of confronting threat with threat. I don't think it should be American weapons; I think if Japan and SoKor feel that threatened they should take their own steps.

But I don't think NoKor will sacrifice its only bargaining chip at the negotiating table.

The idea that I object to is this ridiculous idea that China will feel pressure to comply if we juuuust add a few more nukes to the equation - they will allegedly "shit themselves" Facepalm. Sure they'll feel pressure. Think they'll back down? Please. They'll build up their own nukes in response. It'll be cold war all over again. Except this time some idiot might really push the button.

I don't know that they will back down. But they're not really responding to Twitter messages very well, and their client state has this bad habit of shooting off missiles when it wants its way.

China won't feel pressured to comply with anything unless America tries to employ trade as a chip, and even then, I bet that the Chinese could probably cover losses in Europe and Africa, where they do big business and are poised to do much more. That's another way of saying that America has little leverage here in this issue.

I'd rather we deal realistically and station our THAAD system in Japan and Taiwan to counter potential threats. The Russians and Chinese are both clearly attempting to use this to leverage mutual defense away from the East Asian democracies.
07-07-2017, 07:29 PM
(06-07-2017 05:48 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  Yeah, that was some shitty acting.

I don't think chickenhawking is partisan so much as it is about income.

It was Oscar-caliber compared to Gods and Generals!

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
28-07-2017, 08:07 PM
North Korea raises the bar again...

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/28/world...ssile.html

Things are ''improving'' on this dossier again...

Freedom is servitude to justice and intellectual honesty.
[+] 1 user Likes epronovost's post
28-07-2017, 08:18 PM
Yep. Won't be long now til Un and Drumpf blow us all up.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
29-07-2017, 12:24 AM
Confused Yikes. Maybe time to switch policies - can the isolation policy and bring NK into the fold, even if the regime is rather repulsive. If trade goes well and NK people become more prosperous, King Jong-Un and his crowd will find it much harder to maintain the police state.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
29-07-2017, 07:53 AM (This post was last modified: 29-07-2017 08:08 AM by SYZ.)
The US needs to mention only one single word to the N Korean regime... Hiroshima.

End of story. Thumbsup

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
29-07-2017, 08:00 AM
(29-07-2017 12:24 AM)morondog Wrote:  Confused Yikes. Maybe time to switch policies - can the isolation policy and bring NK into the fold, even if the regime is rather repulsive. If trade goes well and NK people become more prosperous, King Jong-Un and his crowd will find it much harder to maintain the police state.

South Korea has been trying and keeps on inviting Un to talks. He isn't even answering.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man