Korean conflict

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-11-2010, 01:20 AM
RE: Korean conflict
China doesn't have North Korea's back on this one, and I heard (unconfirmed) the US has sent some ships to reinforce South Korea. Hopefully this doesn't escalate, last thing we need is a third quagmire for the allies :\

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-11-2010, 08:34 AM
That the US sent ship to reinforce SK was confirmed by the news. And, I still would not bet on China siding with South Korea on this one.

Now, that said, they may use their influence to back NK off the ledge but that's not quite the same as taking on South Korea's side. I still think there is no chance of that happening.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
26-11-2010, 01:06 PM
http://www.voanews.com/english/news/Chin...99269.html

Looks like China is trying to play peacekeeper. They won't drop N Korea to support the south all of a sudden, but they know they can't afford to enter conflict with the west and they seem genuinely interested in restoring some semblance of stability to the region.

I find it interesting that China isn't just throwing weight around in the UN, at least not yet or to my knowledge, to swing this their way. That's gotta be worth at least a bit of respect.

26-11-2010, 04:43 PM
This is the worst possible situation for China. The last thing they need is this nutjob screwing up their plans and creating regional tensions and a potential shooting war. China knows that there is little chance NK regime can survive a war with the West and a losing war by NK forces China to get involved or accept a US military presence on their boarder.

China is not playing nice, they are playing diplomatic chess (which is the smart thing for them to do so I'll grant them that much).

It's going to be interesting to see how this plays out. I've got to think the South Koreans have had just about enough of this stuff and have to be ready or close to ready to risk getting bombed and take nutcase out once and for all. I can't imagine China is going to sit quietly by while that happens.

29-11-2010, 06:39 PM

Wikileaks is fun-

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/nov...fied-korea

China may be pulling away from North Korea.
Quote this message in a reply
29-11-2010, 07:00 PM
Finally it's officially true that China is going to bail on their spoiled brat. I know I was right that China will benefit from a Soul lead Korea. They will make more bucks with trade.

[Image: buddhasig.png]
“Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.” ~ Gautama Buddha
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
29-11-2010, 07:14 PM
I still say it won't happen if it means a potential US military base on their boarder.

29-11-2010, 07:18 PM
(29-11-2010 07:14 PM)BnW Wrote:  I still say it won't happen if it means a potential US military base on their boarder.

US bases will still be there anyway. It doesn't really matter for China. China knows were are never going to war with China because we are so economy linked.

[Image: buddhasig.png]
“Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.” ~ Gautama Buddha
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user