Kowtowing to 'people of faith'

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-11-2016, 02:36 PM
Kowtowing to 'people of faith'
So now that the post-mortem is in full swing, I continue to see references, mostly from conservative pundits, to a need for the Democratic Party to "reach out" to "people of faith" or take the faith of Trump Nation more seriously or somesuch.

"(A) deeper vision than mere liberalism is still required — something like “for God and home and country,” as reactionary as that phrase may sound," is how Ross Douthat of The New York Times phrased it.

I understand the point as a purely pragmatic political calculus. But do we really?

God does not work in mysterious ways — he works in ways that are indistinguishable from his non-existence.
Jesus had a pretty rough weekend for your sins.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-11-2016, 02:39 PM
RE: Kowtowing to 'people of faith'
(21-11-2016 02:36 PM)claywise Wrote:  So now that the post-mortem is in full swing, I continue to see references, mostly from conservative pundits, to a need for the Democratic Party to "reach out" to "people of faith" or take the faith of Trump Nation more seriously or somesuch.

"(A) deeper vision than mere liberalism is still required — something like “for God and home and country,” as reactionary as that phrase may sound," is how Ross Douthat of The New York Times phrased it.

I understand the point as a purely pragmatic political calculus. But do we really?

No, no, a thousand times no! One of the most disturbing things about the Republican party is the way they kowtow to people of faith -- specifically Christian fundamentalists. The Democrats should be constitutional and observe separation of church and state.
[+] 4 users Like Grasshopper's post
22-11-2016, 03:47 AM
Hi,

That's another fine mess 'people of faith' got us into. BowingBowing

D.
22-11-2016, 10:22 AM
Hell no. But I'm thinking we need find a way to reach out to people lacking education in some critical areas and give them some. It could cure some people of both religion and Republicanism in one shot.

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.
[+] 1 user Likes Impulse's post