Krauss (and Hitchens) vs Islam

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-02-2014, 12:37 AM
RE: Krauss (and Hitchens) vs Islam
I have looked for Sam Harris, but haven't found any video. I like Sam Harris a lot. Could you please forward me a video?

Fun "paradox": The higher the selection pressure, the slower evolution takes place.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-02-2014, 05:55 PM
(13-02-2014 12:05 PM)diddo97 Wrote:  
(13-02-2014 10:04 AM)Youkay Wrote:  but of course, because he is representing the view of atheism, there is no way in hell that he would lose the debate.

Oh, is atheism the absolute truth now? You'd better have some evidence to support this broad claim.

Except that it's not a claim.
15-02-2014, 06:04 PM
I haven't watched this in full, mostly because the video is poor and the audio won't match up, but I know the guy he's debating represents Islam.

And I think his YouTube channel may have more.

If this isn't what you had in mind, sorry, it just was the first example that stuck in my head.

Check out my atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes WillHopp's post
15-02-2014, 06:40 PM
(15-02-2014 06:04 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  I haven't watched this in full, mostly because the video is poor and the audio won't match up, but I know the guy he's debating represents Islam.

And I think his YouTube channel may have more.

If this isn't what you had in mind, sorry, it just was the first example that stuck in my head.

Ooh, something new to watch while Hubby watches the Olympics or whatever else he decides to watch. Smile

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

15-02-2014, 07:59 PM
(13-02-2014 10:04 AM)Youkay Wrote:  It is good to hear from both Lawrence and Hitchens, as they might give us good examples and tools how to better arm ourselves for debates to come

Unfortunately neither Krauss and Hitchens, or even Dawkins (I've always maintained) really know very much (or as much as they should) about the religions they attempt(ed) to debate. They could be so much more effective if they really knew the historical, and theological details of both Christianity and Islam. They all need(ed) an advisory committee to look critically at their tapes, (like watching post football game tapes) if they wanted to improve. They don't seem to be very interested. They do OK, but could be a lot more effective. Krauss has improved a lot from the days when he jumped all over the stage. But, I'm not a big fan of debates. I'm not sure they accomplish anything.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
15-02-2014, 08:27 PM
(15-02-2014 07:59 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(13-02-2014 10:04 AM)Youkay Wrote:  It is good to hear from both Lawrence and Hitchens, as they might give us good examples and tools how to better arm ourselves for debates to come

Unfortunately neither Krauss and Hitchens, or even Dawkins (I've always maintained) really know very much (or as much as they should) about the religions they attempt(ed) to debate. They could be so much more effective if they really knew the historical, and theological details of both Christianity and Islam. They all need(ed) an advisory committee to look critically at their tapes, (like watching post football game tapes) if they wanted to improve. They don't seem to be very interested. They do OK, but could be a lot more effective. Krauss has improved a lot from the days when he jumped all over the stage. But, I'm not a big fan of debates. I'm not sure they accomplish anything.

They potentially get people thinking. Of course as we all know the best way to lose faith is to examine it closely and I have heard much anecdotal evidence that listening to these kinds of debates can get the ball rolling. At this point it is playing to the masses and while yes for those of us who do additional research some deeper discussion would be nice for most people who listen to these debates if it dipped down into academical abstractions they would lose interest. Even Shakespeare had to play to the mob.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post
16-02-2014, 12:46 AM
Unfortunately, Sam does exactly the same mistakes as Krauss and Hitchens throughout the debate and can not stand up to Reza's accusations of him having a fundamental misunderstanding being ignorant about social and political grievances and blaming Islam in a simplifying, generalizing and stereotypical way.

I think that when criticizing Islam, we shouldn't assume to be experts in social and political aspects of middle east. Also, we should not narrow down Islam to only the middle east. That is a dead give away that we don't have any idea what we are talking about.

When criticizing Islam, I would have tried the same strategy as when criticizing Christianity or any religion for that matter. Showing that the concept of God is completely unreasonable and showing that the holy books who claim to be inspired by God himself can not in any way hold up to that claim.

And I love how they tried to close the chapter on Israel as soon as possible. A taboo in such a debate is more than just sad.

Fun "paradox": The higher the selection pressure, the slower evolution takes place.
16-02-2014, 06:00 AM
I like Krauss but I think he was a little bit over the top in the islam debate.
16-02-2014, 06:38 AM
What do you think about Sam vs Reza?