Krauss vs. Lame Craig ... discussions from Oz

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-12-2013, 04:52 PM
Krauss vs. Lame Craig ... discussions from Oz
Heard about these from a comment on the last TTA Podcast.

(wasn't sure if it belonged here or the Atheism vs. Theism section but decided to put it here as Krauss got the upper hand)

FYI:

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like DLJ's post
22-12-2013, 05:17 PM
RE: Krauss vs. Lame Craig ... discussions from Oz
Ooo! I love anything with Lawrence Krauss Big Grin
Do you think Craig will make me pull my hair out, DLJ?
22-12-2013, 05:44 PM
(22-12-2013 05:17 PM)thedudette Wrote:  Ooo! I love anything with Lawrence Krauss Big Grin
Do you think Craig will make me pull my hair out, DLJ?

Which hair? Maybe one or two of them.

The flaws in his syllogisms are so obvious it's painful but overall he comes across far less obnoxious than in the past.

22-12-2013, 05:48 PM
Thank you for this! Thumbsup

"Which is more likely: that the whole natural order is suspended, or that a jewish minx should tell a lie?"- David Hume
22-12-2013, 06:39 PM
Thanks I having been wanting to watch them since it was discussed on the podcast.

Onward, my faithful steed!
[Image: ezgif-save_zps4d93a674.gif?t=1395781443]
24-12-2013, 06:40 AM
The moderator in the first video is outrageous!!!

Fun "paradox": The higher the selection pressure, the slower evolution takes place.
[+] 1 user Likes Youkay's post
24-12-2013, 07:02 AM
Craig w the usual same ole same ole clap-trap. It's so NOT compelling.
In a way Krauss is kissing Craig's ass just letting him sit on the same stage with him, (as Craig SO wants/NEEDS to be seen as "one of the in-crowd" cosmology dudes), but I guess it's their business.

I'm no big fan of Krauss' style. He makes me nervous with his "flitting around" the stage. He's pretty "un-profound" (he DOES know his physics). He doesn't know much about Philosophy or religion .. maybe just doesn't approach it all very elegantly ?? Pretty "amateurish" in my view. Have always thought he needed an "advisory board" (or PR team to teach him some things), but he's a "clod" and that probably is not amenable to change. He could/would be a LOT more effective, if his presentation were more polished, or organized.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 3 users Like Bucky Ball's post
24-12-2013, 09:48 AM
I agree on Krauss. Love the guy, but I get the feeling he thinks it's on him to pick up where Hitchens left off, and he just can't pull that off. Krauss just comes off as pissed off all the time, whereas Hitch just made you feel like you were watching elegance and terror all at once.

Check out my atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like WillHopp's post
24-12-2013, 11:17 AM
(24-12-2013 09:48 AM)WillHopp Wrote:  ...Hitch just made you feel like you were watching elegance and terror all at once.

Such an awesome way to put it!

[+] 3 users Like Raptor Jesus's post
24-12-2013, 11:34 AM
I've only watched one of these to date. But the thing that seriously drives me nuts about Craig is that he acts like he is simply making very logical points, all that lead directly to the next, and then the next, and the next in such a clear manor as to be indisputable. However, he is really simply making assertions, huge leaps in some cases, to get from the first "logical" point to the next, and that that "logic" can stand on it's own, no different than fact.

However, in the real world, when we postulation a hypothesis of how we can logically get from one point to the next, we must then test it to determent if it holds true when observed in the real world. Further more, we must test whether that first point itself is true, something Craig does not bother to do. As Krauss pointed out many times, he and his colleagues have come up with some amazingly beautiful, logical explanations of the natural world, that when compared to reality were simply wrong.

You can't simply figure out in your head the "logic" of how the universe works, and then stop there, because it's "logic". You must then test it as applied to the real world, which is the biggest disparity between what these two men actually do. One stops and says, that's good enough. The other looks at the thing to see if it's actually true. Which would you trust more?