03-11-2013, 05:39 PM
Kristen Powers-From Skeptic To Christian
How does this even happen????

http://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/2013...ce=twitter
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-11-2013, 06:14 PM
RE: Kristen Powers-From Skeptic To Christian
(03-11-2013 05:39 PM)onedream Wrote:  How does this even happen????

http://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/2013...ce=twitter

Looks like she did it for a dude. It happens.
[+] 5 users Like Chopdoc's post
03-11-2013, 06:36 PM
She talks about how he expertly and intellectually proves Christianity and disproves atheism and agnosticism. I would really like to see the proof for Christianity. I'm not really sure how you could disprove atheism but I'd like to see that too.
[+] 5 users Like Losty's post
03-11-2013, 06:37 PM
(03-11-2013 05:39 PM)onedream Wrote:  How does this even happen????

Love is a very powerful thing...so is brainwashing....
[+] 5 users Like Losty's post
03-11-2013, 06:39 PM
It happened to my sister, she's been brainwashed by a manipulating abusive man into believing again...
[+] 2 users Like Smercury44's post
03-11-2013, 06:43 PM
Love. It can make you quit a career you worked a decade for, move across the county or hemisphere, and in worst case scenarios, put up with a tremendous amount of physical and emotional abuse. Purely conjecture, but she probably made that shit up to make her boyfriend believe her that she believed.

Her boyfriend sounds like a passive manipulator. Can you keep an open mind? Sure can, can you?

In all that time he was hoping she would change for him, did he ever stop and consider what it would mean to change for her?

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day - Bill Watterson
[+] 2 users Like Cathym112's post
03-11-2013, 06:46 PM
I think the equivalent question is "Why do people stay in abusive relationships?".

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Chas's post
03-11-2013, 06:53 PM
Chas - I made a thread about this before.

I think that the internalization of "god punishes me because he loves me" and making a virtue out of martyrdom and suffering for god. That you are punishes because of *your* sinful nature. You are unworthy, worthless and should bow before god. It is nothing to also apply that to relationships.

I think that being religious is directly correlated (not causation) to staying in abusive relationships.

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day - Bill Watterson
03-11-2013, 07:08 PM
(03-11-2013 06:53 PM)Cathym112 Wrote:  Chas - I made a thread about this before.

I think that the internalization of "god punishes me because he loves me" and making a virtue out of martyrdom and suffering for god. That you are punishes because of *your* sinful nature. You are unworthy, worthless and should bow before god. It is nothing to also apply that to relationships.

I think that being religious is directly correlated (not causation) to staying in abusive relationships.

In my case it was causation (mostly. I think. Still trying to work through it). My religious upbringing taught me that women are subservient to their husbands. A Godly woman must honor and obey her husband just as a slave must honor and obey his master. A husbands choices and actions in a marriage are the will of God. A wife never has a right to question that, and to do so is to dishonor and disobey God himself. Most modern Christians don't really feel this way, but that is what I was raised to believe.
03-11-2013, 07:15 PM (This post was last modified: 03-11-2013 07:26 PM by Can_of_Beans.)
Two things struck me about the article.

1) There was no actual content. She just told a touchy-feely story completely lacking in both religious doctrine and reason. Even some comments from people I assume to be Christians mentioned this. For example:

"Although interesting, her account of becoming a Christian does not mention any awareness/conviction of personal sin against God, the cross, Jesus dying for her sins, or trusting Christ as her Savior. Without any mention of those fundamental principles, what really happened here?" -Wally Morris

It sounds to me like she had an emotional experience and is backward rationalizing that there must have been good reasons for the decision even if she can't explain them herself.

2) Jesus both appeared and spoke to her. No

"I feel as though the camera is almost a kind of voyeur in Mr. Beans life, and you just watch this bizarre man going about his life in the way that he wants to."

-Rowan Atkinson
[+] 4 users Like Can_of_Beans's post