Kristen Powers-From Skeptic To Christian

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-11-2013, 07:19 PM (This post was last modified: 03-11-2013 07:27 PM by Can_of_Beans.)
RE: Kristen Powers-From Skeptic To Christian
On a personal note...

When my ex and I were separated, her boyfriend "converted" after she broke up with him. Then they got back together. I'm not sure I buy that conversion story either. It was just a little too convenient. Dodgy

"I feel as though the camera is almost a kind of voyeur in Mr. Beans life, and you just watch this bizarre man going about his life in the way that he wants to."

-Rowan Atkinson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Can_of_Beans's post
03-11-2013, 07:57 PM
Oh crap, she had to throw in the 'hound of heaven' at the end. The most telling part: ' I don't remember what was said that day. All I know is that when I left, everything had changed. I'll never forget standing outside that apartment on the Upper East Side and saying to myself, "It's true. It's completely true." '

Not exactly convincing 'testimony'. Typical case of a delusional emotional experience where someone becomes convinced the creator of the universe is pursuing them personally, then attributing subsequent ordinary random events to the pursuing God.
[+] 3 users Like freetoreason's post
03-11-2013, 08:58 PM
(03-11-2013 07:15 PM)Can_of_Beans Wrote:  Two things struck me about the article.

1) There was no actual content. She just told a touchy-feely story completely lacking in both religious doctrine and reason. Even some comments from people I assume to be Christians mentioned this. For example:

"Although interesting, her account of becoming a Christian does not mention any awareness/conviction of personal sin against God, the cross, Jesus dying for her sins, or trusting Christ as her Savior. Without any mention of those fundamental principles, what really happened here?" -Wally Morris

It sounds to me like she had an emotional experience and is backward rationalizing that there must have been good reasons for the decision even if she can't explain them herself.

2) Jesus both appeared and spoke to her. No

Yeah. Dreams are funny that way. They often nothing more than processing random images and feelings and commiting it to long term memory from short term.

On a side note, Google EMDR treatment for PTSD sufferers. It's fascinating!!

But Jesus appearing to her in a dream is completely understandable. She was preoccupied with thoughts of Jesus for awhile. Then she went to sleep.

How many of us have dreamed about the movie we just watched before we went to bed? I watched x-men last night and I had magnetos powers in my dream.

When I was desperately desiring a child, and my husband and I were obsessing of about doing the no pants dance to conceive, I would dream that I was finding out I was pregnant, or dreaming I was already pregnant and going into labor.

It's just my Brain processing the information from the day, even though I was neither pregnant, nor going into labor.
[+] 1 user Likes Cathym112's post
03-11-2013, 09:37 PM
"Do you have an open mind..." is christianese code for "will you suspend critical judgement and believe literally anything I tell you?"
[+] 6 users Like Chopdoc's post
03-11-2013, 09:43 PM
Well, Fox... Dodgy

Then http://www.examiner.com/article/eric-met...ty?cid=rss where she claims both parents are atheist, the conversion took two years, and the boyfriend "a friend." Story is old and marketed. Dodgy

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
03-11-2013, 10:25 PM
Kristen Powers-From Skeptic To Christian
(03-11-2013 09:43 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Well, Fox... Dodgy

Then http://www.examiner.com/article/eric-met...ty?cid=rss where she claims both parents are atheist, the conversion took two years, and the boyfriend "a friend." Story is old and marketed. Dodgy

Wow. Her story changes from article to article.
03-11-2013, 10:39 PM
(03-11-2013 06:37 PM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  
(03-11-2013 05:39 PM)onedream Wrote:  How does this even happen????

Love is a very powerful thing...so is brainwashing....

So is bleach...

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
03-11-2013, 10:41 PM
(03-11-2013 10:39 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(03-11-2013 06:37 PM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  Love is a very powerful thing...so is brainwashing....

So is bleach...

And arsenic! Evil_monster
03-11-2013, 11:13 PM
(03-11-2013 08:58 PM)Cathym112 Wrote:  How many of us have dreamed about the movie we just watched before we went to bed? I watched x-men last night and I had magnetos powers in my dream.

When I was desperately desiring a child, and my husband and I were obsessing of about doing the no pants dance to conceive, I would dream that I was finding out I was pregnant, or dreaming I was already pregnant and going into labor.

It's just my Brain processing the information from the day, even though I was neither pregnant, nor going into labor.

I had some pretty realistic Duke Nukem dreams in college. Rather than worshiping him though, I took it as a sign I was playing to much and should probably back off a little.

And speaking of the no pants dance...I've had a few realistic dreams about that too. Fortunately no one has come after me for child support yet, so I'm guessing those weren't real either. Angel

"I feel as though the camera is almost a kind of voyeur in Mr. Beans life, and you just watch this bizarre man going about his life in the way that he wants to."

-Rowan Atkinson
[+] 2 users Like Can_of_Beans's post
04-11-2013, 12:14 AM
Rolleyes

Well now, guess a pretty woman converted, means it must be true.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post