Kthulu

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 3 Average
03-02-2011, 02:38 PM

Kthulu
Let's keep this concise.

I'm an ex-Lutheran minister. I was a Christian for 20 years. I realised, in an ironic twist of dates, on December 25th, 2009 that Christianity is false, and that I didn't believe in Christ, God, or the Christian religion anymore.

I went through approximately 8 months of emotional turmoil about my loss of faith. Eventually the angst subsided and I relaxed. Now I enjoy a much freer emotional and psychological state, unbound, as it were, of my promethean vices.

I am an avid reader. I have 22 years of experience playing acoustic and electric guitar (though I'm not as proficient as I would like to be despite the passage of time).

I am not embarrassed to self-identify as an atheist, but I think it generally serves to stifle conversations than enable them. Instead, I state that I'm unconvinced.

I am married, and have children. I am also an anarchist (but I am not an activist).

Regards,
Kthulu
Quote this message in a reply
03-02-2011, 02:54 PM
RE: Kthulu
Welcome to the forums, I'm sure you'll fit right in. It'll be nice to have a former minister around I'm sure your years of experience with the bible will give you an interesting perspective Smile

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-02-2011, 04:21 PM

kthulu. theres a familiar name. are you the same kthulu as the one i know on BvS?
03-02-2011, 04:56 PM
(03-02-2011 02:38 PM)Kthulu Wrote:  Regards,
Kthulu

Lovecraft!

Fudge yes. My avatar is actually a picture of the man himself.

Glad to have you with us!

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
03-02-2011, 04:57 PM
Welcome to the forum.
We get our own Matt Dillahunty - nice Big Grin

Atheism is a religion like OFF is a TV channel !!!

Proud of my genetic relatives Big Grin
03-02-2011, 10:10 PM

Thank you for the warm welcome, folks. I appreciate it.

Green: Is the bible really that helpful? Wink I'm sure I have something to bring to the table. I look forward to being part of the conversation here.

DoE: I'm not sure what BvS is, so I'm probably not the same Kthulu.

Unbeliever: He wasn't a very good-looking chap, was he? Still, few have told tales so deftly, so impactingly, so masterfully.

gaglamesh731: You flatter me, sir. I hope to be as useful as Mr. Dillahunty.

Okay, I'm off to read in the heavier sections of the board. I probably won't involve myself in any atheist "apologetics" (for lack of a better word) at first, but I do like a hearty, healthy debate. I'm eager. Off for a stroll...

Cheers!
Kthulu
03-02-2011, 10:16 PM
(03-02-2011 10:10 PM)Kthulu Wrote:  He wasn't a very good-looking chap, was he?

Nope. Still, I do enjoy my Lovecraft coffee mug, just for the weird looks I get when people first see the picture on it.

Quote:Still, few have told tales so deftly, so impactingly, so masterfully.

Agreed. "The Music of Erich Zann" is one of the greatest works of literature I've ever read. His other stories aren't far behind. It's a shame that so few people have read his works. My high school advanced placement literature teacher hadn't even heard of Cthulhu, let alone Lovecraft himself.

You'd think that someone whose job it was to teach influential authors to the youths of America would have bothered to find out the name of one of the two most influential horror writers of all time.

EDIT: Also, as of yet, no one has recognized the reference on my Innsmouth High School Swim Team T-shirt. This makes me very sad.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
03-02-2011, 10:16 PM

youre not? oh well. BvS is a browser game i play and Kthulu is one of my villagers.

Still i figure anyone with a taste for the tentacle is a friend of mine.
03-02-2011, 10:25 PM
(03-02-2011 10:16 PM)DoE Wrote:  Still i figure anyone with a taste for the tentacle is a friend of mine.

Given your avatar and some of the more... ahem... esoteric predilections of the Japanese culture, this might be taken in some very strange ways.

03-02-2011, 10:31 PM
(03-02-2011 10:25 PM)Unbeliever Wrote:  
(03-02-2011 10:16 PM)DoE Wrote:  Still i figure anyone with a taste for the tentacle is a friend of mine.

Given your avatar and some of the more... ahem... esoteric predilections of the Japanese culture, this might be taken in some very strange ways.

psognipgnip
I LOL'd so hard. So hard.

Welcome, Kthulu! Big Grin

"It does feel like something to be wrong; it feels like being right." -Kathryn Schulz
I am 100% certain that I am wrong about something I am certain about right now. Because even if everything I stand for turns out to be completely true, I was still wrong about being wrong.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user