Kumare

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-03-2013, 02:47 PM
Kumare
This has been an interesting film so far.

Basically this guy invents a spiritual figure (guru) becomes him, and shows how incredibly easy it is to suck people in.

Oh the power of suggestion.

The Out Crowd.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-05-2013, 10:03 PM
RE: Kumare
I'm halfway through it right now on netflix. It is an interesting film, a bit overly sympathetic toward woo-beleivers for my tastes (even while sort of damning of religion and gurus at the same time). But certainly, it shows the power of suggestion and how people are very susceptible to woo. Going to watch the rest later.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes amyb's post
23-10-2014, 09:18 AM
An atheist friend on Facebook recommended this film, I thoroughly enjoyed this, it gives you a lot of insight into how the religious mind works. Every person simply projected their own wishes and desires onto Kumare', they feared making these life decisions on their own and wanted reassurance that it would work out.

This is a perfect example of how any religion operates, it allows a person to externalize their decision making process and give someone else credit for when things work out, but it also gives convenient excuses for when they fail, but they can externalize it and say "God is trying to teach me through this", thereby giving them some insulation from blame for their failures.

People were willing to impute supernatural power to a guy because all he did was sit, smile and listen to what they wanted to do without rejecting their ideas.

The tree of delusion is nourished by the vague promises and skewed perception of prayer. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 2 users Like TheInquisition's post
23-10-2014, 04:56 PM
Re: Kumare
I watched this movie a while back. I agree that it's quite sympathetic to believers.

But for me it does how many people are so eager to look for external answers. Sometimes all we need is a sounding board.

It's actually a little sad.
24-10-2014, 01:31 PM
This sounds really good - I'd like to see the entire thing.

What he said - "I am the biggest faker I know ... I forget who I was." I have a feeling that is the exact thing people are looking for in themselves: honesty.

Thanks for posting - I'll have to check this film out. Thumbsup

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
24-10-2014, 01:47 PM
To think I passed this up on Netflix a while back because of the description and it was in the " faith and spirituality" part I normally avoid.

I'll have to see if it's still available.

The sun rises in the West and the bird shits on the coffeetable.