LA Methane Leak.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-01-2016, 07:05 AM
LA Methane Leak.
I was just wondering about people opinions on the Methane leak and to learn more about what potential impact that the amounts spewing out could potentially cause.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-35257861

So what impact will this have on the environment?? I understand that it is not good but I don't understand the science behind it. Also what effects would this have on a person health???

I feel so much, and yet I feel nothing.
I am a rock, I am the sky, the birds and the trees and everything beyond.
I am the wind, in the fields in which I roar. I am the water, in which I drown.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-01-2016, 10:08 AM
RE: LA Methane Leak.
I live about 20 miles from this. Natural gas (methane) in and of itself isn't a problem. it is a greenhouse gas, as is the carbon dioxide combustion product. The odorant added (ethyl mercaptan) stinks, and can give people headaches or nausea, depending on the dose. I read in the paper yesterday that it isn't just natural gas, but benzene as well. Benzene is a known carcinogen.

The thing about buying a home is to pay attention to the environment. I would never have bought a house near an oil/gas well...or in an airport glide path...or next to a slaughterhouse, etc., no matter how cheap it was. Most of the electrical utility where I live is mostly underground. I made sure that there was no transformer buried in my back yard before I bought my current home. One was replaced recently, and a neighbor behind me and over one house had their back yard torn up for a neighborhood transformer replacement.
10-01-2016, 11:19 AM
I can't help but think if the CEO of whoever is responsible for this storage was living next door it would be fixed sooner.

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
10-01-2016, 04:36 PM
(10-01-2016 11:19 AM)Heatheness Wrote:  I can't help but think if the CEO of whoever is responsible for this storage was living next door it would be fixed sooner.

Yup, but he knows better than to live there.