LA Times article on secular families

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-06-2016, 08:12 AM
LA Times article on secular families
I am quite encouraged by such coverage in the main stream media.

http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-oe-0115...tml#page=1

Quote:The number of American children raised without religion has grown significantly since the 1950s, when fewer than 4% of Americans reported growing up in a nonreligious household, according to several recent national studies. That figure entered the double digits when a 2012 study showed that 11% of people born after 1970 said they had been raised in secular homes. This may help explain why 23% of adults in the U.S. claim to have no religion, and more than 30% of Americans between the ages of 18 and 29 say the same.....

Far from being dysfunctional, nihilistic and rudderless without the security and rectitude of religion, secular households provide a sound and solid foundation for children, according to Vern Bengston, a USC professor of gerontology and sociology............

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 8 users Like Dom's post
21-06-2016, 08:29 AM
RE: LA Times article on secular families
I'm curious what these numbers will look like 30 years from now.
21-06-2016, 08:39 AM
It still annoys me a little that they need to ask how a person can be morally good without god.
[+] 2 users Like pablo's post
21-06-2016, 08:44 AM
(21-06-2016 08:39 AM)pablo Wrote:  It still annoys me a little that they need to ask how a person can be morally good without god.

It takes time to purge old standards.... I think it is very encouraging. The more of this we see, the more people will come out of the closet. It's not like people need to be converted to atheism, they just need to be free to come out.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 3 users Like Dom's post
21-06-2016, 09:11 AM
(21-06-2016 08:44 AM)Dom Wrote:  
(21-06-2016 08:39 AM)pablo Wrote:  It still annoys me a little that they need to ask how a person can be morally good without god.

It takes time to purge old standards.... I think it is very encouraging. The more of this we see, the more people will come out of the closet. It's not like people need to be converted to atheism, they just need to be free to come out.

I think that has a lot to do with the severe social pressure we witness, whenever religious nuts have a majority in a given region/society. I'd say they are aware, on some level, that if people are free to come out of the closet they've been stuffed into, then people in other closets will come out, too. As more of that happens, it sets up a cascade that destroys the power-base they've built for themselves.

Ellen came out on TV in 1996. Look at the changes already in the USA regarding the general public's view on same-sex relationships in the past two decades, following that simple event.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 4 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
21-06-2016, 09:39 AM
Does that make the big bang theory the atheist comparison to will & grace? Seems so.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 2 users Like ClydeLee's post
21-06-2016, 10:16 AM
(21-06-2016 09:11 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  
(21-06-2016 08:44 AM)Dom Wrote:  It takes time to purge old standards.... I think it is very encouraging. The more of this we see, the more people will come out of the closet. It's not like people need to be converted to atheism, they just need to be free to come out.

I think that has a lot to do with the severe social pressure we witness, whenever religious nuts have a majority in a given region/society. I'd say they are aware, on some level, that if people are free to come out of the closet they've been stuffed into, then people in other closets will come out, too. As more of that happens, it sets up a cascade that destroys the power-base they've built for themselves.

Ellen came out on TV in 1996. Look at the changes already in the USA regarding the general public's view on same-sex relationships in the past two decades, following that simple event.

Well, the gay efforts started in the 70s, when young people started coming out of the closet and making noise. It took this long to get where we are today.

[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
21-06-2016, 11:16 AM
My wife and I basically raised our kids without church, except when ever she'd have an illicit affair her first reaction was to start taking the kids to church. Twice that was my clue that something was going on again!