LGBT+ leaving religion & general support

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-05-2017, 01:10 PM (This post was last modified: 01-06-2017 07:26 PM by DLJ.)
Are you a SGM (sexual&gender minority) and left religion?
Do you need some support dealing with the backlash you might be facing?
Or do you need a place to vent?

In this thread you can seek advice on how to deal with this tricky situation and hopefully find some useful ressources as well.

Note for newbies to TTA: This forum section is heavily moderated and does not tolerate trolling. This section is a support section. You will be taken seriously and nobody will judge or troll you here. You are in good hands.

Any useful websites, support phone lines, etc that can be helpful with this will be added to this shared folder on google drive. (CLICK ME!)

- You don't need a google account to access this.
- If you have a google account and you would like to stay anonymous, log out of your account before accessing the shared folder.

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 9 users Like Leerob's post
30-05-2017, 01:47 PM
RE: LGBT+ leaving religion & general support
I really like this idea and I think it would be a great place to share questioning/realization/coming out stories, too! Maybe share a bit about how/when you realized you were not straight, or you were not cisgender, or you were ace, or something?

A bit about myself- I'm a trans woman and bisexual- or maybe rather pansexual if you prefer. Gender/sex doesn't really matter to me as much as the person does but I guess that's not really relevant to anyone outside my marriage. But it's a detail about me, so I've included it here. I've been transitioning for about 2 and a half years as of this post.

With that said, I'm open to helping anyone with questions or who is dealing with stuff or sharing more of "my story" or whatever if it helps others.

Heart
[+] 3 users Like Emma's post
30-05-2017, 01:58 PM
Here are some resources that have helped me in my transition.

Zinnia Jones (ZJemptv on Twitter) has always been incredibly helpful, and was actually one of the first people that said something that started me down the path of questioning. She was talking in an interview with Seth on a TTA podcast several years ago and the discussion resonated with me before I really knew why. Currently she and her girl friends run the Gender Analysis website (http://genderanalysis.net/). She is intensely detail oriented and will read medical studies and additional research for sources in her posts. I think it's really interesting and helpful for both trans and cis people (but it's aimed toward trans people).

I also got a lot of info on reddit/r/asktransgender a while back, but I haven't been there in a while so I don't know how helpful they still are.

I spent a lot of time on Twitter for a while where I met a lot of amazing trans folks, but I spent too much time there and eventually made some unhealthy choices so I don't use twitter anymore. In any case, there's a great community of trans people on twitter that will help struggling trans people.

That's all I've got for now. Big Grin
[+] 3 users Like Emma's post
30-05-2017, 02:27 PM
Is it ok for cisgender folks to join in and ask questions?
[+] 1 user Likes KUSA's post
30-05-2017, 02:27 PM (This post was last modified: 30-05-2017 02:38 PM by Leerob.)
Updated with Emma's resources.
Added my favourite FTM vlogger Finn on there. He has been and is still documenting his whole transition. The good times and the bad times. Also added a huge google spreadsheet with tons of resources. I found it somewhere on reddit. Would love to credit the person that put it together but I have no clue anymore who it was.

About me:
Trans FTM and bisexual. Not transitioning because reasons.
Got some big identity crisis once in a while, big surprise. Also got some small identity crisis once a month, take a guess why.
Generally always trying to be helpful.

@KUSA of course!

[+] 3 users Like Leerob's post
30-05-2017, 02:42 PM
(30-05-2017 02:27 PM)KUSA Wrote:  Is it ok for cisgender folks to join in and ask questions?

TTA doesn't block specific people from specific threads except for moderator discussions, right? I don't think there's a problem with cis/straight people from participating in this thread either, so long as everyone participating keeps in mind the purpose of the Personal Issues and Support subforum.

I certainly don't mind anyone joining in! But that's just my opinion. I'm not directing this thread. Smile But I do like answering questions related to this stuff lol.
[+] 2 users Like Emma's post
30-05-2017, 03:13 PM
(30-05-2017 02:42 PM)Emma Wrote:  
(30-05-2017 02:27 PM)KUSA Wrote:  Is it ok for cisgender folks to join in and ask questions?

TTA doesn't block specific people from specific threads except for moderator discussions, right? I don't think there's a problem with cis/straight people from participating in this thread either, so long as everyone participating keeps in mind the purpose of the Personal Issues and Support subforum.

I certainly don't mind anyone joining in! But that's just my opinion. I'm not directing this thread. Smile But I do like answering questions related to this stuff lol.

The vast majority of members here are sympathetic and understanding. Anyone that isn't should get banned for saying anything inappropriate here.

I think the more we know and understand the better it will be for everyone.
[+] 2 users Like KUSA's post
30-05-2017, 03:34 PM
Totall agree KUSA! Smile

I've talked about trans stuff in several threads in the past, so I'm definitely not shy about it. I worry more that I talk about it too much and annoy people, but whatever, I like to talk about it and I like to try to help people understand if they want to understand.

And I like to help others who are dealing with some of the same things I've dealt with. I used to do that a lot on twitter, and it was one of my favorite things there.
[+] 2 users Like Emma's post
01-06-2017, 04:54 PM (This post was last modified: 01-06-2017 05:48 PM by Leerob.)
Alright. Since I cannot edit the OP and I don't want to cause extra work for mods to add stuff in there, I am currently working to create a google drive folder to share. Once I have it ready for the public eye, I will have it added in the OP and I will then keep updating the folder in the google drive.

EDIT:
google doc has been created: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B6Dpuw...ThhVmU4YlE
It is currently a bit empty but it will fill up.

[+] 2 users Like Leerob's post
02-06-2017, 01:38 PM
Rob, A couple things for the doc:

This is a support group page that lists a bunch of hotlines if this is helpful:
http://www.glbthotline.org/

And also- suicide support lines by country (not LGBT specific):
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_su...isis_lines