LGBT+ leaving religion & general support

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-06-2017, 02:44 PM
RE: LGBT+ leaving religion & general support
(30-05-2017 03:34 PM)Emma Wrote:  I worry more that I talk about it too much and annoy people, but whatever, I like to talk about it and I like to try to help people understand if they want to understand...

I think the people who are "annoyed" by LGBT discussions shouldn't really be responding to positive, supportive comments anyway Emma. If they're that bigoted and single-minded, then best they stay away, and keep their opinions to themselves. They actually annoy me more for the predictable crap they usually parrot—in order to apparently get their rocks off.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like SYZ's post
02-06-2017, 03:00 PM
(02-06-2017 02:44 PM)SYZ Wrote:  
(30-05-2017 03:34 PM)Emma Wrote:  I worry more that I talk about it too much and annoy people, but whatever, I like to talk about it and I like to try to help people understand if they want to understand...

I think the people who are "annoyed" by LGBT discussions shouldn't really be responding to positive, supportive comments anyway Emma. If they're that bigoted and single-minded, then best they stay away, and keep their opinions to themselves. They actually annoy me more for the predictable crap they usually parrot—in order to apparently get their rocks off.

Thanks Syz- and I agree! Thumbsup
03-06-2017, 11:04 AM
Hurray for this new place!
[+] 1 user Likes SomethingWitty2's post
03-06-2017, 02:35 PM
(02-06-2017 01:38 PM)Emma Wrote:  Rob, A couple things for the doc:

This is a support group page that lists a bunch of hotlines if this is helpful:
http://www.glbthotline.org/

And also- suicide support lines by country (not LGBT specific):
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_su...isis_lines

Thanks Emma,
These two are very helpful.
I started looking through the wikipedia list and added a suicide line tab in the Helplines sheet. Might take a bit I am slowly but surely adding to the helplines sheet.
I am also checking the glbthotline soon.
Just gonna take a while because of the different languages. But Belgium added.

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
- Wotsefack?! -
[+] 1 user Likes Leerob's post
03-06-2017, 03:41 PM
Bigoted comments are nasty. However, like what is happening with the peer review in the Humanities, just because we are LGBTQ+ doesn't mean we are exempt from creating bullshit, or unfounded things. I think the best way to respect is to include criticism and discussion of the concepts talked about here.
07-06-2017, 02:52 PM (This post was last modified: 07-06-2017 04:29 PM by Leerob.)
Alright I am currently adding more helplines to the doc (from the links that Emma privided).
If anybody can offer me some language support? Do we have Belgian people on here? If yes, I was unable to find the tarif for the phone line on here http://www.zelfmoord1813.be So if you can find the tarif (landline/mobile), please let me know. Thanks

- Wotsefack?! -
08-06-2017, 07:04 AM
I'm cisgender, too but just wanted to show my support to the SGM community here on TTA and elsewhere too. I'm looking forward to getting to understand the difficulties and challenges facing you so that I can be a supportive ally in the future.
[+] 2 users Like adey67's post
08-06-2017, 01:57 PM
A little thing that I didn't even tell but that made me very happy.
So last week at work, I saw a coworker from my team with a shirt that said:
"Trans rights is human rights"
And, knowing how active she has been in the past years as a member of the lgbt community, fighting for equal rights and so on, it just made me very happy and I wanted to thank her for the support she shows and so on. But I felt that if I approach her, I am basically putting a sign on my head saying "I am trans" and if there is one thing I don't want, then that is attention and coming out. So I said nothing but this just made my day.
Then today, pride commitee at work invited everybody to a small event explaining what all the other letters after "LGBT" mean and focussing on what "transgender" actually means. With a Q&A session etc. And that made me very happy. I would go but I am attending a course that day. So I was just positively surprised that my workplace doesn't just say they are supporters and allies, but they live up to it.
But then the same coworker made a "reply all" and said that she will be there to help and answer any questions on this topic. She explained a bit about the work she did before with some organisations pushing some lgbt rights things into legislation.
And at this point I just had to say something. I was still worried that I might accidentally come out so I just waited until someone else said "Thank you first" and then I thanked her after that.
But yea these two things just made my days and I really love my work place.
I am even on the pride committee there as well, organizing out presence at the pride parade this year so that will be great.

Also decided to volunteer for one of those lgbt support lines. Just waiting for the next training to start.

- Wotsefack?! -
08-06-2017, 02:38 PM
(08-06-2017 01:57 PM)Leerob Wrote:  A little thing that I didn't even tell but that made me very happy.
So last week at work, I saw a coworker from my team with a shirt that said:
"Trans rights is human rights"
And, knowing how active she has been in the past years as a member of the lgbt community, fighting for equal rights and so on, it just made me very happy and I wanted to thank her for the support she shows and so on. But I felt that if I approach her, I am basically putting a sign on my head saying "I am trans" and if there is one thing I don't want, then that is attention and coming out. So I said nothing but this just made my day.
Then today, pride commitee at work invited everybody to a small event explaining what all the other letters after "LGBT" mean and focussing on what "transgender" actually means. With a Q&A session etc. And that made me very happy. I would go but I am attending a course that day. So I was just positively surprised that my workplace doesn't just say they are supporters and allies, but they live up to it.
But then the same coworker made a "reply all" and said that she will be there to help and answer any questions on this topic. She explained a bit about the work she did before with some organisations pushing some lgbt rights things into legislation.
And at this point I just had to say something. I was still worried that I might accidentally come out so I just waited until someone else said "Thank you first" and then I thanked her after that.
But yea these two things just made my days and I really love my work place.
I am even on the pride committee there as well, organizing out presence at the pride parade this year so that will be great.

Also decided to volunteer for one of those lgbt support lines. Just waiting for the next training to start.

That's awesome! It must be great to work at a place that has such a forwarding-thinking approach to equality and support for its LGBTQ employees. I'm glad you were able to say thank you to them! Smile
12-06-2017, 09:55 AM
I don't know if this would be helpful or not, but I just found out about this service:

https://www.betterhelp.com/

It's an app that allows you to get therapy through messaging, video, and voice from licensed therapists for a flat fee- so you don't have to have insurance I guess.

I thought I'd put it up there, but quite honestly I don't know too much about it but a quick google search shows positive results so I thought I'd put it up as a resource.