LGBT (sub)section?
Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-06-2017, 11:29 AM
RE: LGBT (sub)section?
(03-06-2017 10:58 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(03-06-2017 10:28 AM)kim Wrote:  To be fair, the teen forum served a dual purpose -
1. teens had their own place to yammer on in their own way with no bitchy input from the old farts - we oldies were often told to fuck off.
2. teens stopped hijacking threads with their irrelevant banter - if they started to, they could be advised to piss off to Teen world, which they did.

I think it helped to keep most discussions orderly and helped the teens establish their own autonomy. It worked ... and then, our teens grew up. I don't think it was a "failure" ... it was just outgrown. Shy

Except it was not ever used. There are exactly 56 threads in that section none of which could not have fitted very easily elsewhere. That is by definition failure on a discussion forum. We have basically done what we are going to do. There is a thread which tbh is not much more than 3 posts if you remove all the "Hey this is a great idea" posts. Even money says it stays more or less unused and even better odds say it never gets to a 10th of what is needed for a sub-forum.

Well, I'm not uberpassionate about any particular forum, per se - but to me, if something isn't damaging to the forum on the whole, it's not a failure.
I know; an optimist ... Rolleyes don't ya hate that?

Now, if you are trying to say that adding a new sub forum is going to take up a shitload of space and be a burden to keep track of ... that's a different issue. Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
03-06-2017, 11:32 AM
(03-06-2017 11:29 AM)kim Wrote:  Now, if you are trying to say that adding a new sub forum is going to take up a shitload of space and be a burden to keep track of ... that's a different issue. Shy

That's not it. I was watching the Amazonians trying to figure out the forum - the more sections, the harder to find your way around. It can be overwhelming. One needs to be able to have some oversight. Unwieldy forums don't do well.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
03-06-2017, 11:34 AM
So, is this the (barely) thinking amazonians forum now? Drinking Beverage

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-06-2017, 01:09 PM
(03-06-2017 11:34 AM)Vera Wrote:  So, is this the (barely) thinking amazonians forum now? Drinking Beverage

Pfffft. It was a convenient way to watch newbie behavior since many arrived at once and scattered through the forum.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
03-06-2017, 01:12 PM
(03-06-2017 11:24 AM)Vera Wrote:  Fucking hell! There's a fucking TRAVEL section, which is like the most MEANINGLESS thing, you can talk about travel ANYWHERE but THIS is somehow the most unreasonable thing one could possibly ask for)

That's a valid point and had I not been partially away from the forum at the time, and thought about it more, I probably would have said no for the very reasons you laid out.

I blame myself for that one, and if it continues to go underused, I'll probably have to move the threads and delete the section. It's just like clutter. But that's not too difficult...for that section. Most things could easily fit in This That or coffee house.

The problem is that other sections that are not well used, like the teen, or even intimacies and relationships (the grown up version of the teen forum) are nearly impossible to move. I get why I&R was total fail, all the forum rules apply there, so while you can say whatever you want with words, you can't say it with with "graphic" images.

Irs like the stack of magazines you don't notice until you need the space for something else or have to clean...

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 4 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
03-06-2017, 01:16 PM (This post was last modified: 03-06-2017 01:19 PM by Vera.)
Yeah, dragging all sorts of stuff all over the carpet Dodgy

Okay, wasn't only and/or all of them (obviously!), but there's been a nasty whiff lately.

[Image: Mq7ZkMLqDvwzSQHrkixc.gif]

ETA, for Moms: I really don't care one way or the other. Like I said, even one whole heap of posts works for me. It's the amount of bile aimed at this particular suggestion and the stubborn refusal to see that people are not talking about a section for "them gayz" to roam free and feel special in (and the rest of us to feel morally superior; what utter, vile shit!), but a section for LGBT-related TOPICS. Which is a fair enough suggestion, whether it's accepted or not.

[+] 2 users Like Vera's post
03-06-2017, 01:45 PM
(03-06-2017 01:16 PM)Vera Wrote:  Yeah, dragging all sorts of stuff all over the carpet Dodgy

Okay, wasn't only and/or all of them (obviously!), but there's been a nasty whiff lately.

[Image: Mq7ZkMLqDvwzSQHrkixc.gif]

ETA, for Moms: I really don't care one way or the other. Like I said, even one whole heap of posts works for me. It's the amount of bile aimed at this particular suggestion and the stubborn refusal to see that people are not talking about a section for "them gayz" to roam free and feel special in (and the rest of us to feel morally superior; what utter, vile shit!), but a section for LGBT-related TOPICS. Which is a fair enough suggestion, whether it's accepted or not.

No, there is nothing wrong with it. But - there are legitimate other groups who would like their own section - like I would like one for older folk. I am not sure if you ever notice all the age discrimination that goes on here at TTA, old people this and old people that. I decided to ignore it, although it does sit in my maw. It's crap. It pops up in all kinds of threads on different topics. Nobody cares.

Plenty of misogynists here also. So, if we are going to make fori for groups that are discriminated against, we'll be having several new fori.

[+] 3 users Like Dom's post
03-06-2017, 01:58 PM
(03-06-2017 01:16 PM)Vera Wrote:  Yeah, dragging all sorts of stuff all over the carpet Dodgy

There has and that's unfortunate. Nothing can muddy a discussion faster than poorly chosen words. That's where the focus becomes, on the words, rather than the overall message.

The point might be good or awful but the focus isn't on that. It becomes about the word or phrase (often negative) that screams out at you that becomes the focus.
[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
03-06-2017, 02:06 PM
Once again, Dom. It is not about the PEOPLE. It's about TOPICS and ISSUES. It is NOT about a discriminated minority, it's just a section about LGBT issues, just like we have one about sports or food. Forgive me if I'm wrong but one of those things is slightly more important than the others. And technically *all* can be put in other forums, like Casual Coffeehouse, etc. Where exactly do we draw the line?

Like I said, I've no beef in this decision (which has been made already). But no way in hell did a perfectly reasonable suggestion like Leerob's merit such a heated (and more often than not vile) reaction, or comments about segregation and other such bull. It's like apparently you cannot even be interested in this topic unless you're "of the gayz" or a "progressitard snowflake who wants to prove how morally superior they are".

I've known you long enough to be sure you cannot but see that this wasn't a normal reaction by any stretch of the imagination.

Moms, I'm not sure if it's just a matter of badly chosen words. I think it might be... really different forum styles or something. But things are... not quite how they should be...

03-06-2017, 02:17 PM
(03-06-2017 02:06 PM)Vera Wrote:  Once again, Dom. It is not about the PEOPLE. It's about TOPICS and ISSUES. It is NOT about a discriminated minority, it's just a section about LGBT issues, just like we have one about sports or food.

Oh, ok, age is not fraught with issues, it's just about people.

And here I find myself arguing just against a message board that becomes unwieldy and hard to navigate - and looking like I have issues with LGBT. I don't and it's not at all the point.

Thread Closed