LGBT (sub)section?
Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-06-2017, 03:38 PM
RE: LGBT (sub)section?
Can I just say something here?

This is an atheist forum...atheists come in all ages, colors, and sexual orientations (forgive me if that's not the right term), genders, etc. I don't see it being possible to accommodate everyone with a special area.

The teen section worked for a while but is underused. I ventured in there to welcome someone new who hadn't gotten any input from anyone and got scolded for it, I was only trying to make sure this new teen wasn't ignored. I never opened that area again. Adults had been posting there all along though it was primarily for teens. It's seldom used and perhaps the reason for it is no longer an issue.

PI&S is a challenge for the team I am sure but it has been a place for people to talk and not be attacked for what's on their mind....but that's everyone and every issue.

I&R had it's place when inappropriate stuff was rampant on the forum at a time and we (I was a Veteran then) were trying to move some of that away from younger or more sensitive members. Perhaps it's usefulness has also passed. Last time I went in there I read something I didn't really want to know about a member or members...I haven't been back.

Bottom line...this is an atheist forum...there are forums for LBGT issues, gender issues, race issues, etc. I am not sure that we really need a special place for every possible group.

This is a forum for atheists and those questioning and those who believe but like us anyway.

My 2 or 4 or 8 cents.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
Find all posts by this user
[+] 6 users Like Anjele's post
03-06-2017, 03:43 PM
(03-06-2017 03:31 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(03-06-2017 03:26 PM)adey67 Wrote:  The Amazon crew always seem quite nice to me but then I lose track of whose Amazon and I can't be in every thread, but I'm quite surprised TBH

Surprised at what? That, after coming from a shitty message board format like Amazon, some of them had some issues getting around this one? We do have a lot of forums and sub forums here...

Ahh I miss understood I took what folk were saying as that there had been some issues with some of the refugees, I thought it was odd. They all seem pretty nice.
03-06-2017, 03:50 PM
(03-06-2017 03:43 PM)adey67 Wrote:  
(03-06-2017 03:31 PM)Dom Wrote:  Surprised at what? That, after coming from a shitty message board format like Amazon, some of them had some issues getting around this one? We do have a lot of forums and sub forums here...

Ahh I miss understood I took what folk were saying as that there had been some issues with some of the refugees, I thought it was odd. They all seem pretty nice.

They are a cool bunch! Smile

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
03-06-2017, 03:55 PM
(03-06-2017 11:19 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(03-06-2017 10:28 AM)kim Wrote:  ...

2. teens stopped hijacking threads with their irrelevant banter - if they started to, they could be advised to piss off to Teen world, which they did.

OK. You've persuaded me. I've changed my mind.

We should have a place to quarantine these people lest their strange ways spread and contaminate us normal people.
--

Ha! Big Grin

Actually, it was their (the teens) idea with agreed upon specifications. It wasn't exactly like "the kids table" out in the kitchen at holiday gatherings, it was more like their own room or kibbutz. They interacted with the rest of the forum as well - they weren't restricted in any way. It was just a place for them to go to speak in their own disgusting, youthful way about what idiots all the old fucks around here are - without adults pissing out their campfires. It was an interesting experiment.

Some people just need that special place to develop and gather encouragement for the strength of their ideas.

It's really not that big of a deal. Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
03-06-2017, 06:15 PM
Why aren't there any sub-forums for economically disadvantaged, underprivileged, middle-class, mountain-dwelling, cisgender, straight, working class, ethnically isolated, middle-aged males. I expected more from the atheist community than the sort of bigotry, misandrist, classist, racists, agists which is self-evidently pervasive and omnipresent. The saturation of Nazis and KKK members in our ranks are truly vile.

[Image: tumblr_mjd8dtRt9m1qzkukuo1_1280.jpg]

[+] 2 users Like Dark Light's post
03-06-2017, 07:36 PM
(03-06-2017 09:17 AM)epronovost Wrote:  @earmuffs

The thing I don't understand with your argument is how you equate LGBTQ issues (a subject of conversation) and LGBTQ people (a group of person with a specific characteristic in common). That's two different thing in my opinion. Interest in their issues is a hobby like any others. You can be part of the LGBTQ community and be relatively uninterested in discussing its issues on an internet forum for some reasons like complete lack of interest in world politics for example. In the same vein the opposite is true. Subforums aren't on people they are on issues. That's the difference with the teen sub-forum and a potential LGBTQ subforum. The teen subforum explicitly sate it's made for the quasi exclusive use of teens. A LBGTQ issue subforum is meant for everybody who has interest in LGBTQ issues not specificaly for a group with a non-normative sexuallity.

@momsurroundedbyboys's

In the end, we have to judge if such a change would be warranted. I suppose the current arrangement are for the best. Changing the forum organisation for little gain is indeed a lot of work for very and should not be undertaken lightly. I simply find the arguments of earmuffs against it specious and that's why I am currently attempting to prod a bit his arguments.

I accept that LGBT have issues particularly related to them. They shouldn't have too but that is the world we live in. However I still think any issues they have should just fall under general 'people' issues and not specific 'LGBT issues' (as in under their own subforum) because of alienation and segregation etc.. all the reasons I stated before.

And prod what out of me? What are you trying to make me look like a homophobe or something because son I have some news for you...

Quote:Being atheist in a theistic world is, as we know, fairly an "outcast" situation ... as is being homosexual in a hetro-centric society, being female in a patriarchy, being a person of color in a white privileged world, etc.,.

Maybe there could be just a section or sub-forum where such esoteric things are focused on. It might be called Out Loud. It could be very general discussion topics which might also deeply focus on those issues concerning any particular marginalized group or individual.

Except Nazis. Fuck them. Shy

While I do like this idea more than a specific LGBT subforum, again it's pointless because any issues someone has can just go into the general subforums AND it's still alienating and segregating from those that don't fall under that banner.

There's a lot of straight white males here. Why should we belittle them by making specific subforums for everyone else but them?

Quote:For fuck's sake, is it SO hard to grasp?! NO ONE is talking about a subforum for LGBT PEOPLE, only a subforum for LGBT related topics.

Yabut straight people aren't gonna be making threads about how their parents disowned them when they told them they were gay now are they?

You're missing the point Vera. You're also completely glossing over the point DLJ, myself and now Dom have made, that being what about other groups that have issues? Why don't they get a subforum?

Quote:So this is what it has devolved to - whose issues are more deserving? (As if it IS a question of choice between the two)

This is... really sad actually.

I'm out.

Probably for quite a while.

You're the one doing that by asking for a LGBT specific subforum.
I am simply saying that nobodies issues are any more important than anyone elses.

What's the difference between making a quick jab at someone because they're gay versus someone because they're old? except that the age one is tolerated within society and the gay ones not. When you think about it, both are equally as bad. Someone can't help being gay as much as someone can't help being an old fart.

Quote:However, as far as I understand it, it's not a section for people who are being discriminated against (sadly, this is way too many groups) and it's not about comparing who has it worse. It was just a suggestion (which was denied) about a section that deals with ALL SORTS of LGBT questions - who knows, maybe even happy ending stories. Not a place for licking wounds and segregating oneselves in order to feel marginalised and mistreated.

Except it is segregation/alienating and it is saying that LGBT issues are more important than Jewish-Austro-Welsh issues or old people issues etc...
[+] 3 users Like earmuffs's post
03-06-2017, 07:54 PM
(03-06-2017 06:15 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  [Image: tumblr_mjd8dtRt9m1qzkukuo1_1280.jpg]

That's probably dead, don't you think? I don't think it would do that on it's own. It's pretty. Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
03-06-2017, 08:01 PM
(03-06-2017 07:54 PM)kim Wrote:  
(03-06-2017 06:15 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  [Image: tumblr_mjd8dtRt9m1qzkukuo1_1280.jpg]

That's probably dead, don't you think? I don't think it would do that on it's own. It's pretty. Shy

I have read somewhere that some snakes occasionally do it.
I don't know if it's true or not but wouldn't surprise me if it's some sort of disease or something.
03-06-2017, 08:42 PM
Oh dear... O.o This thread was a read.

I don't really think it is necessary to have a subsection for LGBT, only because I think that the other subsections could completely accommodate for any issues that may be addressed.

It does seem a bit regressive. I think labeling issues LGBT is unnecessary. Whenever attention is drawn to differences it always seems unnecessary to me, especially those of birth and disposition. If there are questions, for example, that only people who have transitioned can answer couldn't that just be added in the thread title or something under personal issues and support?
03-06-2017, 08:43 PM (This post was last modified: 03-06-2017 08:49 PM by Dark Light.)
(03-06-2017 07:54 PM)kim Wrote:  

I originally considered posting a video instead, but thought it a bit disturbing so used a picture instead. Perhaps this level of disturbing is called for anyhow. Anyway, You asked for it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-cannibalism

Thread Closed