LGBT (sub)section?
Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-05-2017, 08:51 PM
RE: LGBT (sub)section?
"Sexual and gender minorities," abbrev. "SGM", or sometimes "GSM"
That's not a suggestion for a subforum title, lol, just a term that I've heard used sometimes when people get tired of saying LGBTQIA+

I used to lurk around some asexual forums, back when I was still trying to learn all about the marvelous world of LGBT+ for the first time in college. I spent a couple of years listening to asexual podcasts and watching Youtube vids, learning about all sorts of new and interesting stuff along the way.

I was right on the verge of coming out to friends and family as aromantic/asexual..... buuuuuut........ then the whole gamergate thing sort of erupted and spewed raw sewage all over the internets, which completely ruined the mood for me. Worried that the timing of my "coming out" might come across as an attempt to ride the wave of a passing "special fucking snowflake" fad, I decided to just keep the "ace card" in my pocket and let IRL friends and family figure out for themselves how they wanted to describe my already incredibly obvious lack of interest in sex, dating, and marriage. Thumbsup

The online vocabulary wars are still raging to this day, with no sign of slowing down, so I stopped caring about the labels entirely. I've relegated the "identity" nouns to the status of "for personal use only. All others need not give a fuck." I still like the cake, though. God damn, aces love them some cake [Image: birthday-cake-slice.png] Drooling

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like cactus's post
30-05-2017, 04:33 AM
@earmuffs I understand what you are saying but I still don't see segregation. So I am not interested in Sports. But nobody will stop me if I want to post in the Sports section. I am not a conspiracy nut but nobody will stop me if I post in that section. So if we had such a section, I wouldn't see how that is a segragated place for only LGBT people. Everybody can post everywhere.

@Dom What to post there? I made a nice list in one of my posts in here, a list of some things that could go in there.

While I do understand that everything can be spread out into the different sections, personally I'd prefer a place where I can post it and find related things right away. I forgot who said the thing with stickies. Generally good idea, but in that case, who's going to do the work to find the ones that are actually worth to sticky, and also where do you wanna sticky it.
I do realize, that this is first and foremost an atheist and freethinker forum. I am not fighting for that section or anything. It was just an idea so I can only repeat, if that section is not wanted or not needed, I understand and we can move on.

Cheers

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
[+] 2 users Like Leerob's post
30-05-2017, 04:51 AM
Quote:@earmuffs I understand what you are saying but I still don't see segregation. So I am not interested in Sports. But nobody will stop me if I want to post in the Sports section. I am not a conspiracy nut but nobody will stop me if I post in that section. So if we had such a section, I wouldn't see how that is a segragated place for only LGBT people. Everybody can post everywhere.

It's not about who can and cannot post there. Not liking sports and not being gay are two different things. One is a choice the other is the way you were born.
It is self-segregation, it's the very definition of self-segregation.
DLJ touched on this, in his subtle way, but why not a black sub-forum or a white sub-forum or a straight sub-forum etc..?

[Image: oscar.png]
[+] 4 users Like earmuffs's post
30-05-2017, 05:48 AM
(28-05-2017 04:25 PM)Leerob Wrote:  But I was just thinking how great some kind of LGBT (sub)section would be...

Anyway, just an idea because I see how many LGBT people we have on TTA.

With all due respect Leerob, I can't see that there's any necessity for a dedicated forum for LGBT debates. There's in reality not that many LGBT members on TTA, considering that we currently have more than 18,000 members overall. The other thing is that if anybody would like to talk about LGBT social issues, then the Casual Coffeehouse is the place, or if it's an LGBT personal problem, then Personal Issues and Support is the place.

I'm more than happy to talk with people about LGBT issues etc in the coffeehouse threads. And considering that we (society) are at long last moving towards—and achieving in many scenarios—sexual/gender equality and impartiality, I'm a little concerned that a specific LGBT forum could be seen by some as non-inclusive or partisan.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 1 user Likes SYZ's post
30-05-2017, 07:56 AM
I'm all for an LGBTQ subforum, personally. I get the arguments against but, but I don't really care. I like the idea. /shrug

I don't see it as self-segregation when anyone else can easily read/post in it like every other subforum. It's just another section on the boards. Doesn't seem like that big of a deal to me, but whatever.
[+] 1 user Likes Emma's post
30-05-2017, 08:14 AM
(30-05-2017 04:51 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  ...
It's not about who can and cannot post there. Not liking sports and not being gay are two different things. One is a choice the other is the way you were born.
It is self-segregation, it's the very definition of self-segregation.
DLJ touched on this, in his subtle way, but why not a black sub-forum or a white sub-forum or a straight sub-forum etc..?

Kinda. I wasn't really referring to "self-segregation" in my subtlety ... it's more about the structure of the forum.

Currently it's not structured around phenotypes but around memotypes ©.

I'm not saying this can't be changed but it should be carefully considered because it will change the fundamental structure of TTA.

Unsure

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
30-05-2017, 08:26 AM
I think it leads down a slippery slope. We have a bubble for LBGTQXYZ, then we have one for anarchists, then we have one for racial groups, and so on.

The world needs to be integrated, it needs less bubbles, not more. Tolerance, acceptance and normalization comes from unifying, not from separating.

Let's just see ourselves as people who happen to be atheists.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 4 users Like Dom's post
30-05-2017, 08:31 AM
I might have misunderstood (am also in a migraine-induced daze right now), but wasn't the idea more along the lines of having a section to discuss LGBT-related questions and topics and *not* a place for LGBT folk to gather together?

Might be wrong though (plus, I'd be happy even with no sections at all, as I am literally incapable of sticking to one topic and not going on all sorts of barely (if at all) related tangents Rolleyes )

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Vera's post
30-05-2017, 08:40 AM
(30-05-2017 08:26 AM)Dom Wrote:  I think it leads down a slippery slope. We have a bubble for LBGTQXYZ, then we have one for anarchists, then we have one for racial groups, and so on.

The world needs to be integrated, it needs less bubbles, not more. Tolerance, acceptance and normalization comes from unifying, not from separating.

Let's just see ourselves as people who happen to be atheists.

Down with the "Teens" section!
*pitchforks* pitchforks*

jk Tongue

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
[+] 2 users Like cactus's post
30-05-2017, 08:42 AM
(30-05-2017 08:31 AM)Vera Wrote:  I might have misunderstood (am also in a migraine-induced daze right now), but wasn't the idea more along the lines of having a section to discuss LGBT-related questions and topics and *not* a place for LGBT folk to gather together?

Might be wrong though (plus, I'd be happy even with no sections at all, as I am literally incapable of sticking to one topic and not going on all sorts of barely (if at all) related tangents Rolleyes )

That's how I understood it. I didn't see any suggestion that only LGBTQ people could post there or whatever. It's just a place to group posts about LGBTQ stuff (coming out stories, questions directed toward LGBTQ people, issues related to the subject, support, advocacy, etc.). But whatever, there seems to be a strong sentiment against that idea as being some sort of self-segregation or special-interest catering.
[+] 1 user Likes Emma's post
Thread Closed