LGBT (sub)section?
Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-05-2017, 08:47 AM
RE: LGBT (sub)section?
(30-05-2017 08:31 AM)Vera Wrote:  I might have misunderstood (am also in a migraine-induced daze right now), but wasn't the idea more along the lines of having a section to discuss LGBT-related questions and topics and *not* a place for LGBT folk to gather together?

Might be wrong though (plus, I'd be happy even with no sections at all, as I am literally incapable of sticking to one topic and not going on all sorts of barely (if at all) related tangents Rolleyes )

This was my understanding of it. But after Earmuffs post, I can better see both sides (i.e. of not wanting one).
Find all posts by this user
30-05-2017, 09:10 AM
(30-05-2017 08:40 AM)cactus Wrote:  
(30-05-2017 08:26 AM)Dom Wrote:  I think it leads down a slippery slope. We have a bubble for LBGTQXYZ, then we have one for anarchists, then we have one for racial groups, and so on.

The world needs to be integrated, it needs less bubbles, not more. Tolerance, acceptance and normalization comes from unifying, not from separating.

Let's just see ourselves as people who happen to be atheists.

Down with the "Teens" section!
*pitchforks* pitchforks*

jk Tongue

Might as well, it's hardly ever used. Looks like teens like to hang with the adults here, and probably that's a good thing.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
30-05-2017, 09:13 AM
(30-05-2017 09:10 AM)Dom Wrote:  Might as well, it's hardly ever used.

Maybe 'cause it's a sub-sub forum, and someone can go years without realizing it exists Wink

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
30-05-2017, 09:25 AM
(30-05-2017 08:40 AM)cactus Wrote:  
(30-05-2017 08:26 AM)Dom Wrote:  I think it leads down a slippery slope. We have a bubble for LBGTQXYZ, then we have one for anarchists, then we have one for racial groups, and so on.

The world needs to be integrated, it needs less bubbles, not more. Tolerance, acceptance and normalization comes from unifying, not from separating.

Let's just see ourselves as people who happen to be atheists.

Down with the "Teens" section!
*pitchforks* pitchforks*

jk Tongue

The teens section is a perfect example of why this is a bad idea. It was heavily pushed by 1 person and is possible the least used section of the forum (possible the media one is less used) adding another subsection that gets no traffic is not a good way to build a forum.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 2 users Like Revenant77x's post
30-05-2017, 09:48 AM
(30-05-2017 09:25 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(30-05-2017 08:40 AM)cactus Wrote:  Down with the "Teens" section!
*pitchforks* pitchforks*

jk Tongue

The teens section is a perfect example of why this is a bad idea. It was heavily pushed by 1 person and is possible the least used section of the forum (possible the media one is less used) adding another subsection that gets no traffic is not a good way to build a forum.

I was here for a year before I even knew we had a teen subforum Wink So I see your point. Thumbsup

That said, there seems to be a fairly large number of LGBTQ new members who are searching for support in leaving religion behind who come to TTA--as well as a lot of current events/policies/issues pertaining to LGBTQ rights and activism. In that sense, I think it would be helpful to have threads relating to various LGBTQ topics under one heading--just for easy access for both new and old members. Anyway, this is the reason why I said I liked the idea when LR originally brought it up. And I do like the idea--but not if it makes people feel segregated as Muffs said.
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
30-05-2017, 09:57 AM
(28-05-2017 04:25 PM)Leerob Wrote:  I wonder if this came up before.
But I was just thinking how great some kind of LGBT (sub)section would be. If needed it could be age restricted like the Intimacy section.
It could maybe go under the casual coffeehouse if it should be a subforum or as it's own section into either general discussion or the heavy stuff... something like that?

Anyway, just an idea because I see how many LGBT people we have on TTA.

Cheers,
Rob

Hey Rob,

Thanks for the idea I'll think about it. In the meantime maybe you or someone else would want to start a discussion thread in Personal Issues and Support that mentions and deals with LGBTQ issues in relation to leaving religion and supporting atheism. I'll sticky the thread, and when noobs join if that seems to be appropriate suggest they check it out.

Just a thought.

As always if having that thread does demonstrate a hidden need that we don't cover I'll definitely start a sub forum for it.

Moms

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 4 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
30-05-2017, 10:03 AM
(30-05-2017 09:48 AM)jennybee Wrote:  
(30-05-2017 09:25 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  The teens section is a perfect example of why this is a bad idea. It was heavily pushed by 1 person and is possible the least used section of the forum (possible the media one is less used) adding another subsection that gets no traffic is not a good way to build a forum.

I was here for a year before I even knew we had a teen subforum Wink So I see your point. Thumbsup

That said, there seems to be a fairly large number of LGBTQ new members who are searching for support in leaving religion behind who come to TTA--as well as a lot of current events/policies/issues pertaining to LGBTQ rights and activism. In that sense, I think it would be helpful to have threads relating to various LGBTQ topics under one heading--just for easy access for both new and old members. Anyway, this is the reason why I said I liked the idea when LR originally brought it up. And I do like the idea--but not if it makes people feel segregated as Muffs said.

Personally, I can't see how it would make people feel segregated.

I don't think it's a bad idea by any means. It might not be a great idea, but I don't see how it could prove to be a "bad" idea. It might prove to be a good idea, or at least useful to a few and it could show the forum to be a place open to those minorities.

Unlike the teen subforum, people don't grow out of being LGBTQ- or as cactus said, SGM (I've seen this term before and I like it a lot, I think it would be good if it gained more traction).

Anyway- make one or don't, whatever. It might take off, it might not. Maybe it doesn't fit in the structure of the forum, and if not, that's fine- don't make one. But it's not a "bad" idea, and it's not "self-segregation" (that's fucking absurd to say).
[+] 2 users Like Emma's post
30-05-2017, 01:12 PM
@Emma: exactly my point. I am just very bad at phrasing it clearly. But that is what I was trying to say.

@moms: the pinned post for the personal section is a great idea. Waiting to be pinned. http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...al-support (I made it so I can collect ressources in the OP so it is readily accisible. Let me know if I should change anything in the post)

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
- Wotsefack?! -
[+] 1 user Likes Leerob's post
30-05-2017, 01:17 PM
(30-05-2017 01:12 PM)Leerob Wrote:  ...
Waiting to be pinned.

Done.

"we are here to serve"

[+] 3 users Like DLJ's post
31-05-2017, 02:37 AM
[split] LGBT+ leaving religion & general support
(30-05-2017 03:13 PM)KUSA Wrote:  
(30-05-2017 02:42 PM)Emma Wrote:  TTA doesn't block specific people from specific threads except for moderator discussions, right? I don't think there's a problem with cis/straight people from participating in this thread either, so long as everyone participating keeps in mind the purpose of the Personal Issues and Support subforum.

I certainly don't mind anyone joining in! But that's just my opinion. I'm not directing this thread. Smile But I do like answering questions related to this stuff lol.

The vast majority of members here are sympathetic and understanding. Anyone that isn't should get banned for saying anything inappropriate here.

I think the more we know and understand the better it will be for everyone.

Fuck that and fuck 'safe spaces'.

[Image: oscar.png]
Thread Closed