LGBT (sub)section?
Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-06-2017, 08:57 PM
RE: LGBT (sub)section?
(02-06-2017 08:29 PM)Dom Wrote:  This is starting to sound like a "black lives matter" versus "all lives matter" argument.

So?

[Image: oscar.png]
Find all posts by this user
02-06-2017, 09:12 PM
LGBT (sub)section?
(02-06-2017 07:38 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  @Emma and KUSA, you can call me a racist, transphobic misogynist all you like but the truth is that I'm the only one calling for true equality.

You are an equal opportunity asshole.
02-06-2017, 09:23 PM
My needles are shedding from all this shade

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
[+] 1 user Likes cactus's post
02-06-2017, 09:30 PM
@earmuffs

I don't know what you are trying to debate here. I am suggesting that LGBTQ subforum where we would regroup all threads concerning LGBTQ issues might be a good idea. Why could it be a good idea? For the same reason a sport subforum is a good idea. Not everybody is interested in reading, discussing or debating things concerning the LGBTQ community, others have a special interest for it. LGBTQ issues are a subject like any other. Since it's a popular subject with a lot of ramification, it stands to reason to make a subforum based on this specific interest.

When I am on this forum, I usually read sections that have special interest for me, mostly the politics, world news, history and atheism subforum. I rarely visit the personnal issue, various hobbies or science subforums because I have less interest in their thread. From a purely personnal perspective, since I have a lot of interest in LGBTQ issues, I am interested in reading and sometime participating in the thread related to them. Classifying all those threads in a single place instead of 4 would make my browsing of the forum more convenient. Of course there is a lot of details to cover and discuss before comming to any form of formal proposal, but I think its a legitimate request.

Furthermore, since you are asking why should there be a LGBTQ subforum, it seems evident to me that the world's major religion have special loathing for sexually non normative people which stimulate numerous negative social and political actions against them. As such, there is an overabundance of news, policies and religious debates surrounding LGBTQ issues. They are also at the center of the current Civil Right Movements fight. As such, they occupy a large portion of the debate surrounding the place of religion within our society. Considering the centrality of their issues in current events and the nature of this forum whose main purpose is to debate, criticise and reflect on religions and its influence from an atheist perspective, it make sense to me that the highly debated subject of the LGBTQ community could very well deserve a sub-forum. The TTA forums and subforums organisation is meant to make browsing easy and convenient. They are not political or philosophical statements. It's not because the forum titled Personnal Issue and Support isn't under the title of The Heavy Stuff that its less important or a light hearted subject of conversation. Making a LGBTQ subforum is in no way making LGBTQ people more or less important, it's simply putting all the stuff that relates to their issues in the same place since there is a lot of stuff of that nature.

Freedom is servitude to justice and intellectual honesty.
[+] 3 users Like epronovost's post
02-06-2017, 10:30 PM
(02-06-2017 09:30 PM)epronovost Wrote:  @earmuffs

I don't know what you are trying to debate here. I am suggesting that LGBTQ subforum where we would regroup all threads concerning LGBTQ issues might be a good idea. Why could it be a good idea? For the same reason a sport subforum is a good idea. Not everybody is interested in reading, discussing or debating things concerning the LGBTQ community, others have a special interest for it. LGBTQ issues are a subject like any other. Since it's a popular subject with a lot of ramification, it stands to reason to make a subforum based on this specific interest.

When I am on this forum, I usually read sections that have special interest for me, mostly the politics, world news, history and atheism subforum. I rarely visit the personnal issue, various hobbies or science subforums because I have less interest in their thread. From a purely personnal perspective, since I have a lot of interest in LGBTQ issues, I am interested in reading and sometime participating in the thread related to them. Classifying all those threads in a single place instead of 4 would make my browsing of the forum more convenient. Of course there is a lot of details to cover and discuss before comming to any form of formal proposal, but I think its a legitimate request.

Furthermore, since you are asking why should there be a LGBTQ subforum, it seems evident to me that the world's major religion have special loathing for sexually non normative people which stimulate numerous negative social and political actions against them. As such, there is an overabundance of news, policies and religious debates surrounding LGBTQ issues. They are also at the center of the current Civil Right Movements fight. As such, they occupy a large portion of the debate surrounding the place of religion within our society. Considering the centrality of their issues in current events and the nature of this forum whose main purpose is to debate, criticise and reflect on religions and its influence from an atheist perspective, it make sense to me that the highly debated subject of the LGBTQ community could very well deserve a sub-forum. The TTA forums and subforums organisation is meant to make browsing easy and convenient. They are not political or philosophical statements. It's not because the forum titled Personnal Issue and Support isn't under the title of The Heavy Stuff that its less important or a light hearted subject of conversation. Making a LGBTQ subforum is in no way making LGBTQ people more or less important, it's simply putting all the stuff that relates to their issues in the same place since there is a lot of stuff of that nature.

I get the point but much of what you wrote are similar to reasons used that we needed a teen forum.

It was used, in the beginning and then fell off, much like many of the newer forums we've added. Why? I dunno, it seemed like a good idea since teens have issues that adults don't, they can offer advice to each other, etc. it's not like we don't have teens either...they just post in other areas.

We have a stickied thread for people who are LGBT to post in. I feel for now that's enough.

I think most people don't look for sections to post in, they look at new threads -- that's why when the Boxing Ring goes unused for a while and suddenly is, we have to remove a bunch of posts...because people aren't looking at the section, they're looking at new discussions and want to chime in.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 6 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
03-06-2017, 12:40 AM
(02-06-2017 09:12 PM)KUSA Wrote:  
(02-06-2017 07:38 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  @Emma and KUSA, you can call me a racist, transphobic misogynist all you like but the truth is that I'm the only one calling for true equality.

You are an equal opportunity asshole.

You have the mental capacity of a mentally retarded 2 year old.

Quote:I don't know what you are trying to debate here.

Obviously.

Quote:I am suggesting that LGBTQ subforum where we would regroup all threads concerning LGBTQ issues might be a good idea.

Yea, I get that, and I am telling you why it's not.

Quote: Why could it be a good idea? For the same reason a sport subforum is a good idea. Not everybody is interested in reading, discussing or debating things concerning the LGBTQ community, others have a special interest for it. LGBTQ issues are a subject like any other. Since it's a popular subject with a lot of ramification, it stands to reason to make a subforum based on this specific interest.

As I said previously, it's different from sports. Sports is a choice. It's a hobby.
You can be gay and like sports, you can be straight and like sports. You can be white, brown, purple, yellow, green and like sports.

You can't be LGBT and not LGBT the two are mutually exclusive. Which is my point. It's not equal to have a special subforum for a set group in the community based off how they were born. It goes against the forums ethos.

Quote:Classifying all those threads in a single place instead of 4 would make my browsing of the forum more convenient.

That's it, let's oppress the straight people because it's convenient for you and saves you a few seconds browsing the forum...

Quote:Furthermore, since you are asking why should there be an LGBTQ subforum, it seems evident to me that the world's major religion have a special loathing for sexually nonnormative people which stimulate numerous negative social and political actions against them. As such, there is an overabundance of news, policies and religious debates surrounding LGBTQ issues. They are also at the center of the current Civil Right Movements fight. As such, they occupy a large portion of the debate surrounding the place of religion within our society. Considering the centrality of their issues in current events and the nature of this forum whose main purpose is to debate, criticize and reflect on religions and its influence from an atheist perspective, it makes sense to me that the highly debated subject of the LGBTQ community could very well deserve a sub-forum. The TTA forums and subforums organization are meant to make browsing easy and convenient. They are not political or philosophical statements. It's not because the forum titled Personal Issue and Support isn't under the title of The Heavy Stuff that it's less important or a light-hearted subject of conversation. Making an LGBTQ subforum is in no way making LGBTQ people more or less important, it's simply putting all the stuff that relates to their issues in the same place since there is a lot of stuff of that nature.

Except it is making it more important. PLUS it's alienating the non-LGBT community.

I do not understand why this is so hard for you people to get your heads around.
People are people. When you create a section specifically for a group of people based on how they were born you're saying "these people are gay people". But they're not 'gay' people, they're just 'people'. Equality means that, equal. It doesn't mean putting LGBT above everyone else just as it doesn't mean putting LGBT below everyone else. It just means everyone is equal.

And so if you wanna add a LGBT subforum, I want a Kiwi one. And throw in a Welsh-Jewish one for DLJ and maybe an Aussie one or a Straight one or a Black one or a White one (wont that go down well) etc.. Because that would be equality for all.

Quote:I feel for now that's enough.

Forever. Forever that's enough not "for now".

03-06-2017, 12:44 AM
I think we should change the forum to The Thinking LGBTQIA Atheists and also Straight People so that way everyone knows how progressive and open-minded I am for making such a suggestion.

[+] 3 users Like Dark Light's post
03-06-2017, 12:49 AM
Fucking hillbilly from left field out of nowhere.
Always nice to see you're not dead DL.

[+] 2 users Like earmuffs's post
03-06-2017, 01:13 AM
(03-06-2017 12:49 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  Fucking hillbilly from left field out of nowhere.
Always nice to see you're not dead DL.

You had me at "Hillbilly".

[+] 2 users Like Dark Light's post
03-06-2017, 09:17 AM
@earmuffs

The thing I don't understand with your argument is how you equate LGBTQ issues (a subject of conversation) and LGBTQ people (a group of person with a specific characteristic in common). That's two different thing in my opinion. Interest in their issues is a hobby like any others. You can be part of the LGBTQ community and be relatively uninterested in discussing its issues on an internet forum for some reasons like complete lack of interest in world politics for example. In the same vein the opposite is true. Subforums aren't on people they are on issues. That's the difference with the teen sub-forum and a potential LGBTQ subforum. The teen subforum explicitly sate it's made for the quasi exclusive use of teens. A LBGTQ issue subforum is meant for everybody who has interest in LGBTQ issues not specificaly for a group with a non-normative sexuallity.

@momsurroundedbyboys's

In the end, we have to judge if such a change would be warranted. I suppose the current arrangement are for the best. Changing the forum organisation for little gain is indeed a lot of work for very and should not be undertaken lightly. I simply find the arguments of earmuffs against it specious and that's why I am currently attempting to prod a bit his arguments.

Freedom is servitude to justice and intellectual honesty.
[+] 1 user Likes epronovost's post
Thread Closed