LGBTQA Christians

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 2 Average
02-09-2013, 06:25 PM (This post was last modified: 02-09-2013 07:09 PM by Bucky Ball.)
RE: LGBTQA Christians
(02-09-2013 05:45 PM)Mark Dreher Wrote:  
(02-09-2013 02:08 PM)BrokenQuill92 Wrote:  I honestly don't understand them, How can They remain a part of a religion that wants to kill them? How can they remain a part of a religion that treats them like second-class citizen? How can they remain a part of a religion that thinks they spread disease and death? How can they remain a part of a religion that thinks they're all rapists? If there are any LGBTQA Christians on forum can you explain your stance please?
Homosexuals, can go to Heaven.
That is not considered
A "big sin".
Like lying, or something.
Kind of minor.

Whew.
Well THAT's good to hear.
Must be nice to know the mind of the being who made 600 sextillion stars.
Has she, by any chance, told you who will win the World Series ? Or anything else that's actually useful to know ?
You could make as fortune telling people's fortunes, (if you're legit). Something tells me you're a crock.
Why is it, you religious nut jobs NEVER EVER know anything useful, or different, or practical ?
If you actually know a god, how about asking a useful question. Like, how to make a malaria vaccine.
Okey dokey ?

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-09-2013, 06:53 PM
(02-09-2013 02:08 PM)BrokenQuill92 Wrote:  I honestly don't understand them, How can They remain a part of a religion that wants to kill them? How can they remain a part of a religion that treats them like second-class citizen? How can they remain a part of a religion that thinks they spread disease and death? How can they remain a part of a religion that thinks they're all rapists? If there are any LGBTQA Christians on forum can you explain your stance please?

The Methodists are slowly approaching a possible schism over this. Their "reconciling" ministries are welcoming of alt-sex members. My wife's church is one. They have many members from alternative lifestyles. The minister refuses to perform weddings until he can perform ANY wedding. Heck, they even have an "Earth Service," a pagan-driven Sunday service for people who are more into the Calling of the Winds, than Psalms or whatever.

I'm of two minds on this. On the one hand, I approve of social organizations welcoming anyone and everyone from the community. On the other hand, Christian groups like this might give false hope to alt-sex members of denominations that will continue to hate them for a long, long time. I'd almost prefer a blanket intolerance from religion, so more gay and supportive folks would be led to apostasy.

I AM he who is called... cat furniture.
02-09-2013, 07:13 PM
(02-09-2013 06:53 PM)I Am Wrote:  

The Methodists are slowly approaching a possible schism over this. Their "reconciling" ministries are welcoming of alt-sex members. My wife's church is one. They have many members from alternative lifestyles. The minister refuses to perform weddings until he can perform ANY wedding. Heck, they even have an "Earth Service," a pagan-driven Sunday service for people who are more into the Calling of the Winds, than Psalms or whatever.

I'm of two minds on this. On the one hand, I approve of social organizations welcoming anyone and everyone from the community. On the other hand, Christian groups like this might give false hope to alt-sex members of denominations that will continue to hate them for a long, long time. I'd almost prefer a blanket intolerance from religion, so more gay and supportive folks would be led to apostasy.

When I was in grad school, I was friends with a Methodist minister who ran a campus ministry and Bible study in the same building my UU campus group met in. Pretty cool guy, not pushy, knew I was a non-believer and was totally fine with it, focused on running kitchens and organizing fun activities, didn't really give a damn if you believed or not. I'd call him an Ally, if I felt I had a right to make that determination.

A few years ago he explained a tiny slice of the ongoing politics of this issue in (his denomination of) Methodism. The regional (or maybe it was state) organization wanted to allow same-sex marriages to be performed, but the national organization not banned it, and furthermore required every regional (or state) organization to institute some form of punishment. He told me about the conference to institute this. They adopted the first motion for a punishment, which was "suspension of priestly orders for a period of 24 hours."

Me: "Huh?"
Him: "Basically, if anyone complains and goes through the process of pressing the complaint, and if a review finds that the minister performed a same-sex marriage, then he gets punished with a day off. With pay."

He then went on to describe, with lots of laughter, the faces of the conservative minority of that conference just after the motion was adopted.

I can SO see members of the QUILTBAG community going to this guy's sermons.

Fred Phelps's church? Not so much.

Once again, Christianity isn't one institution, it's several thousand different ones.
03-09-2013, 01:36 AM

You must remember that religious texts have been used to justify numerous hatreds. Like inequality for women. Women still remained faithful to religion despite its use to hinder women's rights. Same with religious texts being used to justify slavery as well. Although numerous people were forced into slavery from different backgrounds and retained religious views despite it may have been used to enslave your answers as a good excuse. Gays are just the next on the list of being hated. I am waiting for the time they move onto babies or the disabled to continue their insane tirade on those who they don't like. It won't really end as they continue to use the disgusting parts while ignoring the ones which criticize themselves.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-...hrist.html

^People burn a baby alive due to thinking she was the Antichrist.

You can literally justify anything if you use the excuse of God which is saddening and horrid. If you literally wanted to do anything do it in the name of God.

"Mankind must put an end to war, or war will put an end to mankind." -John F Kennedy

The way to see by Faith is to shut the eye of Reason.” -Benjamin Franklin

It has been a long time. How have you been?
03-09-2013, 10:16 AM
(03-09-2013 01:36 AM)ShirubaDangan Wrote:  

You must remember that religious texts have been used to justify numerous hatreds. Like inequality for women. Women still remained faithful to religion despite its use to hinder women's rights. Same with religious texts being used to justify slavery as well. Although numerous people were forced into slavery from different backgrounds and retained religious views despite it may have been used to enslave your answers as a good excuse. Gays are just the next on the list of being hated. I am waiting for the time they move onto babies or the disabled to continue their insane tirade on those who they don't like. It won't really end as they continue to use the disgusting parts while ignoring the ones which criticize themselves.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-...hrist.html

^People burn a baby alive due to thinking she was the Antichrist.

You can literally justify anything if you use the excuse of God which is saddening and horrid. If you literally wanted to do anything do it in the name of God.

This brings to mind that some of the Middle East nations are encouraging gay people to get sex change operations so their relationship will be with the opposite sex. As some of you know my daughter is transgender and many of her high school Christian friends dropped her like a hot potato. There is one Christian friend who has remained but that person is a lukewarm Christian at best.

Shakespeare Insult 13 – Henry IV Part 1
“That trunk of humours, that bolting-hutch of beastliness, that swollen parcel of dropsies, that huge bombard of sack, that stuffed cloak-bag of guts, that reverend vice, that grey Iniquity, that father ruffian, that vanity in years?”
03-09-2013, 10:47 AM
Quote: How can They remain a part of a religion that wants to kill them?

Masochism?

Don't sell yourself short Judge, you're an incredible slouch.

Martin Luther was the "father" of two movements - The Reformation and Nazism.
04-09-2013, 02:48 AM
(02-09-2013 04:12 PM)BrokenQuill92 Wrote:  
(02-09-2013 04:07 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  What's with the alphabet soup ?
LGBTQABCTABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

Lesbian
Gay
Bisexual
Transgender
Questioning
Allies

It's getting ridiculous.
Power to everyone for seeking support.
But most of these are completely unrelated.
Bi? That's either a straight person that also kinda likes their own gender or gay that also likes the opposite gender. It's a lifestyle choice.
Transgender: Has absolutely nothing to do with homosexuality. That was clearly established in the other topic.
And the recent addition of Questioning and Allies is just ridiculous. As if the club is now open to muggels/straights that weren't allowed in before.

Aspiring optimist
Eternal Pragmatist.
With the uncanny ability to see all sides in every argument.
04-09-2013, 07:25 AM
(04-09-2013 02:48 AM)Caveman Wrote:  
(02-09-2013 04:12 PM)BrokenQuill92 Wrote:  Lesbian
Gay
Bisexual
Transgender
Questioning
Allies

It's getting ridiculous.
Power to everyone for seeking support.
But most of these are completely unrelated.
Bi? That's either a straight person that also kinda likes their own gender or gay that also likes the opposite gender. It's a lifestyle choice.
Transgender: Has absolutely nothing to do with homosexuality. That was clearly established in the other topic.
And the recent addition of Questioning and Allies is just ridiculous. As if the club is now open to muggels/straights that weren't allowed in before.

It's a coalition of outcast and oppressed groups. Why is that a problem for you?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
04-09-2013, 07:45 AM
(02-09-2013 04:12 PM)BrokenQuill92 Wrote:  
(02-09-2013 04:07 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  What's with the alphabet soup ?
LGBTQABCTABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

Lesbian
Gay
Bisexual
Transgender
Questioning
Allies

As far as I'm aware, A is for Asexual, not Allies.

“Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
04-09-2013, 11:30 AM
(04-09-2013 07:45 AM)PharaohKatt Wrote:  
(02-09-2013 04:12 PM)BrokenQuill92 Wrote:  Lesbian
Gay
Bisexual
Transgender
Questioning
Allies

As far as I'm aware, A is for Asexual, not Allies.

It can be either. You can even go LGBTQPIAAP Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Questioning, Pansexual, Intersex, Allied, Asexual, and Pansexual. Honestly, its too fucking much. Just come with some goddamn blanket term that means not strictly straight. You know what? Hence forth I proclaim everyone that isn't strictly straight to be crooked. Deal with it. If you are allied you don't get a letter, because fuck you, you just don't deserve one.