LMAO @ Mormons

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-05-2012, 02:19 PM
LMAO @ Mormons
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Smith

I'm surprised I never read this until now. Seriously people? This dude is a joke.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-05-2012, 02:29 PM
RE: LMAO @ Mormons

My best friend is unfortunately a Mormon and even though he is a generally intelligent man he is so blind to his own religion. I can only hang my head and sigh whenever he brings the topic of his religion up and I destroy and debunk anything he says. I just can't believe you can believe such a blatantly clear lie that was created so men could have multiple young wives to have sex with.

"Mankind must put an end to war, or war will put an end to mankind." -John F Kennedy

The way to see by Faith is to shut the eye of Reason.” -Benjamin Franklin

It has been a long time. How have you been?
17-05-2012, 07:11 PM
(17-05-2012 02:19 PM)germanyt Wrote:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Smith

I'm surprised I never read this until now. Seriously people? This dude is a joke.
The same could be said for Jesus, Mohammad, or anyone else who was the founder or central figure of a religion.
17-05-2012, 07:15 PM
(17-05-2012 07:11 PM)BryanS Wrote:  
(17-05-2012 02:19 PM)germanyt Wrote:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Smith

The same could be said for Jesus, Mohammad, or anyone else who was the founder or central figure of a religion.
But this happened in relatively modern times. That's like those cultist in Australia following around a dude in the woods who claims to be Jusus.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
17-05-2012, 07:24 PM
(17-05-2012 07:15 PM)germanyt Wrote:  
(17-05-2012 07:11 PM)BryanS Wrote:  The same could be said for Jesus, Mohammad, or anyone else who was the founder or central figure of a religion.
But this happened in relatively modern times. That's like those cultist in Australia following around a dude in the woods who claims to be Jusus.
Jehova's Witnesses are even more recent. Their founder predicted the end of the world, and when that didn't happen....they still believe.

Scientology is also some wild and crazy shiite. Back in its founding day, Islam, Christianity, Judaism, etc were not much more than cults.
17-05-2012, 07:31 PM
Ya mean ya never saw this ?

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
17-05-2012, 07:55 PM
(17-05-2012 07:15 PM)germanyt Wrote:  
(17-05-2012 07:11 PM)BryanS Wrote:  The same could be said for Jesus, Mohammad, or anyone else who was the founder or central figure of a religion.
That's why it's so relevant. If some lunatic can call himself a "prophet" and start a world religion founded on absolute bullshit in modern times, then there's absolutely no reason why the same thing could not have happened in ancient times. All you need are credulous people and a charismatic preacher man saying, "Follow me! The end of the world is nigh! All other religions are false!" Jesus = Angel Moroni. Apostle Paul = Joseph Smith. And so on.
[+] 2 users Like Blood's post
17-05-2012, 08:16 PM
Mormonism is sort of like Scientology in that it presents us with the conundrum of what to do when a completely shameless cult becomes a major religion.

Because sadly Mormonism is a major religion now; one of the fastest growing in the world, if the stats are to be believed.

"Heaven and hell suppose two distinct species of men, the good and the bad.

But the greatest part of mankind float betwixt vice and virtue."
- David Hume
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
17-05-2012, 08:30 PM
...and the Born-again Christians call the Mormans crazy because they made their some crazy shit beliefs years before. Angel
My delusion is older than your delusion so my delusion is more valid. No

The old gods are dead, let's invent some new ones before something really bad happens.
17-05-2012, 08:38 PM
(17-05-2012 08:30 PM)Thomas Wrote:  ...and the Born-again Christians call the Mormans crazy because they made their some crazy shit beliefs years before. Angel
My delusion is older than your delusion so my delusion is more valid. No

That's one of the problems, yeah; with Joseph Smith you can point to the court records that show he was convicted of fraudulence and claiming to be a necromancer (true story) a couple of years before he started claiming divine visitation. Sadly time tends to erode our grasp of history, so it's a lot harder to demonstrate that some dude in an ancient book was talking nonsense.

On the plus side, though, it's just as hard for someone to prove that the aforementioned dude in an ancient book ever existed in the first place. After all, he's only really mentioned in one really old book.

"Heaven and hell suppose two distinct species of men, the good and the bad.

But the greatest part of mankind float betwixt vice and virtue."
- David Hume
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes ockhams_razorboy's post