LOL I won

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-04-2017, 05:37 PM
LOL I won
So I like to look around on Quora and most of the answers I give on there are about atheism. Once in a while, a theist will make a comment on my answer in an attempt to debate me now. I find it super funny because they are always trying to be so smart but all these posts say pretty much the same thing.

So I was on Quora and answering this question:
Quote:Why do atheists believe the universe just popped out of existence without a creator?

My answer is in the spoiler if anybody wants to know it:
Quote:Original question:
Why do atheists believe the universe just popped out of existence without a creator?

If the universe popped out of existence, we wouldn’t be here right now because that means that it vanished. I think you meant that it popped into existence (appeared) so let’s go with that for now.

Then you are probably referring to the big bang theory with a version of the watchmaker argument in the back of your mind.
The big bang is a commonly accepted theory about how the universe started. It is not something that atheists made up so they have something to believe in. It is rather the attempt by scientists to explain how the universe started. All the evidence, using current knowledge and technology, points to what we refer to as the “big bang”. The big bang theory does not include why or what started it all.

Now back to atheists. The term “atheist” is not interchangeable with “scientist” so you cannot make a generalisation about atheists when you refer to a scientific theory and then expect atheists to defend that idea.
Most atheists don’t believe anything without proof / strong evidence. At least not me and none of the atheists I know (and most of my social circle is atheist).

Here is what I can say for myself. I am not going to believe in an unsupported claim, ever. And the idea that a god or another higher power (the creator you are mentioning) is the reason the universe started, that is an unsupported claim. Unless there is proof for it, I will not simply believe that. I am absolutely fine with the fact that I don’t know why the big bang happened and I am fine with the fact that I don’t know all the hows and whats. I am also ok with me not understanding every detail about the big bang.

I hope that answered your question.
Little tip for the future: Don’t make generalisations about things you don’t understand. First do your homework, read up on the thing you wonder about, maybe that will already answer your questions.

About 5 minutes later, some theist commented on my answer.
The first part was in ALLCAPS and the second part told me that I believe in miracles and his miracle is god and also some shit about "something from nothing".
I sat there smiling, explaining that in his case it's an argument from ignorance (with a link to what that means) and why that is the case right there. Then I linked him to a debunk of the "something from nothing" and last I told him to do his homework first and then make his arguments.

Another 5 minutes later, I saw that somebody had upvoted my original answer (the one in the spoiler) so I went back to check if the guy from the comment also said something else. But by that time he had deleted his comment Big Grin

That just made my evening!

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
- Wotsefack?! -
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 14 users Like Leerob's post
16-04-2017, 06:29 PM
RE: LOL I won
Oh haha. the comment is back. There was a little novel with a few more old arguments. I answered. I will wait on how it goes and update you guys later. This is fun

- Wotsefack?! -
[+] 1 user Likes Leerob's post
17-04-2017, 12:27 AM
It's always fun to mess with theists. Sometimes I did it on youtube just because I was bored. I'm a nice person, but there are times when the stupidity just is cringe worthy that and you're thinking "YOU MAKE IT TOO EASY!"

"Governments don't want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking That is against their interests.
They want obedient workers people who are just smart enough to run the machines and do the paperwork And just dumb enough to passively accept it."

- George Carlin
[+] 1 user Likes Ruby Crystal's post
17-04-2017, 12:34 AM
[Image: captain-picard-full-of-win.jpg]

DLJ Wrote:And, yes, the principle of freedom of expression works both ways... if someone starts shit, better shit is the best counter-argument.
Big Grin
17-04-2017, 02:56 AM
Father Georges Lemaître might have a word or two to say on the matter. Mind you he was Catholic and they aren't "true" chrisjens.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
17-04-2017, 07:03 AM
(16-04-2017 05:37 PM)Leerob Wrote:  So I like to look around on Quora and most of the answers I give on there are about atheism. Once in a while, a theist will make a comment on my answer in an attempt to debate me now. I find it super funny because they are always trying to be so smart but all these posts say pretty much the same thing.

So I was on Quora and answering this question:
Quote:Why do atheists believe the universe just popped out of existence without a creator?

My answer is in the spoiler if anybody wants to know it:
Quote:Original question:
Why do atheists believe the universe just popped out of existence without a creator?

If the universe popped out of existence, we wouldn’t be here right now because that means that it vanished. I think you meant that it popped into existence (appeared) so let’s go with that for now.

Then you are probably referring to the big bang theory with a version of the watchmaker argument in the back of your mind.
The big bang is a commonly accepted theory about how the universe started. It is not something that atheists made up so they have something to believe in. It is rather the attempt by scientists to explain how the universe started. All the evidence, using current knowledge and technology, points to what we refer to as the “big bang”. The big bang theory does not include why or what started it all.

Now back to atheists. The term “atheist” is not interchangeable with “scientist” so you cannot make a generalisation about atheists when you refer to a scientific theory and then expect atheists to defend that idea.
Most atheists don’t believe anything without proof / strong evidence. At least not me and none of the atheists I know (and most of my social circle is atheist).

Here is what I can say for myself. I am not going to believe in an unsupported claim, ever. And the idea that a god or another higher power (the creator you are mentioning) is the reason the universe started, that is an unsupported claim. Unless there is proof for it, I will not simply believe that. I am absolutely fine with the fact that I don’t know why the big bang happened and I am fine with the fact that I don’t know all the hows and whats. I am also ok with me not understanding every detail about the big bang.

I hope that answered your question.
Little tip for the future: Don’t make generalisations about things you don’t understand. First do your homework, read up on the thing you wonder about, maybe that will already answer your questions.

About 5 minutes later, some theist commented on my answer.
The first part was in ALLCAPS and the second part told me that I believe in miracles and his miracle is god and also some shit about "something from nothing".
I sat there smiling, explaining that in his case it's an argument from ignorance (with a link to what that means) and why that is the case right there. Then I linked him to a debunk of the "something from nothing" and last I told him to do his homework first and then make his arguments.

Another 5 minutes later, I saw that somebody had upvoted my original answer (the one in the spoiler) so I went back to check if the guy from the comment also said something else. But by that time he had deleted his comment Big Grin

That just made my evening!

> The only theists I've ever really debated on that point are the Jehovah's Witnesses who visit me from time to time. In each case, I've given them a reply similar to yours and they simply drop the subject and move on to another point. When cornered, they immediately bail out. They NEVER pursue a discussion/argument to a rational conclusion. Consider
[+] 2 users Like Gwaithmir's post
23-04-2017, 05:21 PM
Oh I completely forgot to update you guys on how things went. So here is how it went after that.

The allcaps guy from the comment (whos comment vanished and then re-appeared, no idea what had happened) did not answer again. Maybe he actually took my advice to go and do his homework first.

But another guy attempted some arguments. I am unsure why they picked me to try to debate but whatever. So the other guy came with a big wall of text about how I was arguing from ignorance too Ohmy He made some more claims and clearly not understand the concept of burden of proof. Then he briefly talked about math, who knows why. And concluded that we cannot make predictions (with a big smell of "where you there"). After that he contradicted himself about predictions claiming that he can make predictions. And then he was done.

You can find the answer in the spoiler
You can claim that “God did it” but that is an unsupported claim and I don’t care about unsupported claims.
Also we are not talking math here, we are talking religious philosophy. (philosophy and math is not the same and not even in the same ballpark) There are a lot of religious ideas on how the universe started. Your “God did it” is just one of them.
“Where you there” is again an argument from ignorance and that is exactly what you do in your bold text. Science doesn’t go by “where you there”, science goes by everything we observe and how we can track it back.
I live in a house. The house has been built by someone (it has a creator). I can find out the name, I can see the blue print, I can find the financial records, I can probably even meet the guy who built my house. I wasn’t there when the house was built and I don’t have to. But the universe is not the same as a house. And just because you don’t have a better answer, doesn’t mean that “God did it”. A long time ago we thought that the god Thor makes thunder. Now we know that this is not true.
God of the Gaps. Look it up, my friend.
Anyway, I gotta go now, stuff my face with chocolate eggs. After all, today chocolate eggs have no calories because it’s a holiday Wink

And actually, this guy had been respectful. He complimented me on how clearly I can speak as well as "I can't help looking at the design of nature and think there is a designer"

I rest my case Big Grin I left it at that and nobody else has tried to debate me on that thread since then.

- Wotsefack?! -
[+] 2 users Like Leerob's post
23-04-2017, 06:38 PM
That's awesome! Big Grin

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces