LOL classifications of atheists

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-11-2013, 07:36 PM
LOL classifications of atheists
I sometimes have to laugh at attempts to classify degrees of atheism.

Where do you sit in the range when your position is that you simply don't believe in fairytales?

I don't declare "There Is No Gawd". Such a declaration is irrelevant and useless because I know it's a fairy tale. I know it's a made-up story. So do you.

I guess the question is, why bother with labels or allowing some idiot to label you this or that, when it really is just a simple matter of being able to see that The Emperor Has No Clothes...?

Dial that puppy up to 11 on the Dawkins chart.... heh...

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Taqiyya Mockingbird's post
15-11-2013, 10:43 PM
RE: LOL classifications of atheists
Some atheists have no belief in God. Other atheists believe that God does not exist. There is a substantial difference between these two sects of atheism.
15-11-2013, 10:46 PM
I agree, the labels are silly, but there definitely are varying degrees. I don't share atheist material on my fb page for example, while others do, and don't care if others are offended. And then there are the anti-theists who are a little more in-your-face. Then those that fight the big battles in the court room.

I hope that the world turns, and things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. - V for Vendetta
15-11-2013, 11:08 PM
(15-11-2013 10:43 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  Some atheists have no belief in God. Other atheists believe that God does not exist. There is a substantial difference between these two sects of atheism.

.....sects....?

Consider

15-11-2013, 11:18 PM
(15-11-2013 07:36 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  I guess the question is, why bother with labels or allowing some idiot to label you this or that, when it really is just a simple matter of being able to see that The Emperor Has No Clothes...?

This is a good question, and I hear it from non-believers on occasion. The thing you really need to remember is this:

Your life is yours. You may define yourself as anything you wish - even refraining from defining yourself in any particular way altogether. People are right when they say that "we don't call ourselves non-stamp-collectors, so there shouldn't be any difference with not believing in gods". It makes sense. But the thing to remember is that, in today's world, non-stamp-collecting is not a big deal. People don't disown family members for not collecting stamps. Non-stamp-collectors are not kept out of public office because they don't collect stamps. They're not looked down upon because they don't collect stamps. That's because stamp-collecting is simply not a significant issue in our world.

But religion is. Belief is. Sure, it's totally reasonable and even understandable to reject the label of "atheist" because it simply means you don't believe in fairy-tales. But the rest of the world does not look at it that way. Depending on who is looking at you; they look at you as different. As untrustworthy. As progressive. As crazy. As reasonable. As smart. As deluded. In a world where imaginary gods rule, someone who denies them will stand out.

So, why the labels? Because this particular matter holds great significance for the time-being. Maybe in a thousand years it won't. But right now, it does. So, personally, I choose to identify as an atheist. And if this world had been drastically altered at some point in the past and stamp-collecting held the same sway as religious belief, I'd proudly identify as a non-stamp-collector.

With that said, there are certain technical guidelines which, even if you don't choose to follow, will still be in effect. I am an atheist, by definition, whether I acknowledge it or not. I am also a non-stamp-collector, by definition, whether I acknowledge it or not. So, whether you choose to label yourself as something or not, you'll still be that thing. That doesn't really matter, here, but my overly-technical mind felt it was worth mentioning. Wink

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Misanthropik's post
15-11-2013, 11:20 PM
^Perhaps it was a 'for lack of a better term' moment? @ Taqiyya Mockingbird

I think there is a difference between agnosticism and atheism (because there obviously is) but everything else is just personal flair; how militant one is about it, how open minded one is towards others' beliefs, etc. I think the unifying theme is: "All these organized religions are really screwing things up. We gotta fix this."

I'm an atheist myself, but I tell people I am agnostic because it's more socially acceptable and viewed as more tolerant than atheism. For the record I want to say that I'm pretty sure all atheists are on the same page. I know there are different schools of thought but it doesn't need to be any more complicated than that.

THIS USER IS NO LONGER ACTIVE. THANK YOU, AND HAVE A GREAT DAY! http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...a-few-days
15-11-2013, 11:21 PM
(15-11-2013 11:08 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  
(15-11-2013 10:43 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  Some atheists have no belief in God. Other atheists believe that God does not exist. There is a substantial difference between these two sects of atheism.

.....sects....?

Consider

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/sect

Quote:1. A group of people forming a distinct unit within a larger group by virtue of certain refinements or distinctions of belief or practice.
15-11-2013, 11:23 PM (This post was last modified: 15-11-2013 11:26 PM by Peterkin.)
(15-11-2013 11:08 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  

.....sects....?
Oh, aye. My sect has no belief in any gods. We're the ones who burn green, pine-scented candles at our midnight cavortings. The God-doesn't-exist faction burns blue, spearmint-scented candles and cavort at sundown. You couldn't possibly mistake them for us.

(Satanists got the black candles - they smell like licorice.)

If you pray to anything, you're prey to anything.
[+] 10 users Like Peterkin's post
15-11-2013, 11:38 PM
O.K. so if I say, "I have no proof against it, so sure it's possible, since damn near anything is possible, that there is a god, but it's also possible, right now, that snarks and grumpkins are about to storm the icewall and invade all of Westeros on behalf of R'hollor: The God of Light.", does that make me an agnostic? Or just an asshole?

Come the Censored on! All religions are stories just like the tooth fairy's, but I got no "proof" Dodgy
Now I'm gonna have to find that Dawkins scale thread, again!
[+] 1 user Likes TheGulegon's post
15-11-2013, 11:59 PM
(15-11-2013 11:21 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(15-11-2013 11:08 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  .....sects....?

Consider

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/sect

Quote:1. A group of people forming a distinct unit within a larger group by virtue of certain refinements or distinctions of belief or practice.

Um looks like an equivocation to me. And Webster's doesn't seem to have any definitions that aren't religion-specific. Beyond that, atheists hold no specific "distinctions of belief or practice".

I call Bullshit.

[+] 1 user Likes Taqiyya Mockingbird's post