LOL classifications of atheists

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-11-2013, 12:03 AM
RE: LOL classifications of atheists
(15-11-2013 11:18 PM)Misanthropik Wrote:  
(15-11-2013 07:36 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  I guess the question is, why bother with labels or allowing some idiot to label you this or that, when it really is just a simple matter of being able to see that The Emperor Has No Clothes...?

This is a good question, and I hear it from non-believers on occasion. The thing you really need to remember is this:

Your life is yours. You may define yourself as anything you wish - even refraining from defining yourself in any particular way altogether. People are right when they say that "we don't call ourselves non-stamp-collectors, so there shouldn't be any difference with not believing in gods". It makes sense. But the thing to remember is that, in today's world, non-stamp-collecting is not a big deal. People don't disown family members for not collecting stamps. Non-stamp-collectors are not kept out of public office because they don't collect stamps. They're not looked down upon because they don't collect stamps. That's because stamp-collecting is simply not a significant issue in our world.

But religion is. Belief is. Sure, it's totally reasonable and even understandable to reject the label of "atheist" because it simply means you don't believe in fairy-tales. But the rest of the world does not look at it that way. Depending on who is looking at you; they look at you as different. As untrustworthy. As progressive. As crazy. As reasonable. As smart. As deluded. In a world where imaginary gods rule, someone who denies them will stand out.

So, why the labels? Because this particular matter holds great significance for the time-being. Maybe in a thousand years it won't. But right now, it does. So, personally, I choose to identify as an atheist. And if this world had been drastically altered at some point in the past and stamp-collecting held the same sway as religious belief, I'd proudly identify as a non-stamp-collector.

With that said, there are certain technical guidelines which, even if you don't choose to follow, will still be in effect. I am an atheist, by definition, whether I acknowledge it or not. I am also a non-stamp-collector, by definition, whether I acknowledge it or not. So, whether you choose to label yourself as something or not, you'll still be that thing. That doesn't really matter, here, but my overly-technical mind felt it was worth mentioning. Wink

LOL I actually had someone ask me recently if I was an atheist, and of course it was clear that there was some strategic attack going to follow up on the answer. I told him I simply don't believe in superstitious bullshit.

Theists HATE it when you point out that they are all wrapped up in superstitious bullshit, by the way....Thumbsup

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-11-2013, 12:09 AM
(15-11-2013 11:20 PM)Cephalotus Wrote:  ^Perhaps it was a 'for lack of a better term' moment? @ Taqiyya Mockingbird

I think there is a difference between agnosticism and atheism (because there obviously is) but everything else is just personal flair; how militant one is about it, how open minded one is towards others' beliefs, etc. I think the unifying theme is: "All these organized religions are really screwing things up. We gotta fix this."

I'm an atheist myself, but I tell people I am agnostic because it's more socially acceptable and viewed as more tolerant than atheism. For the record I want to say that I'm pretty sure all atheists are on the same page. I know there are different schools of thought but it doesn't need to be any more complicated than that.

@ "...how open minded one is towards others' beliefs..."

Not to be critical, but Get Thee Quickly Here:

...my point being that, as I see it, being "...open minded one...towards others' beliefs..." doesn't necessarily mean the same thing as being "open-minded".

For example, I don't believe in leprechauns, and my calling bullshit on anyone who claims leprechauns actually exist is not me being "closed-minded".

[+] 2 users Like Taqiyya Mockingbird's post
16-11-2013, 12:23 AM
(15-11-2013 11:23 PM)Peterkin Wrote:  
(15-11-2013 11:08 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  .....sects....?
Oh, aye. My sect has no belief in any gods. We're the ones who burn green, pine-scented candles at our midnight cavortings.

Consider Um, I would hope that this "cavortings" business you speak of would be some sort of shorthand or cryptic/mystic/secret code for "orgies"...

Shocking

...just sayin'....

Tongue

Quote:The God-doesn't-exist faction burns blue, spearmint-scented candles and cavort at sundown. You couldn't possibly mistake them for us.

(Satanists got the black candles - they smell like licorice.)

....can't........stop........laughing.............can't........breathe........no​t.......gettin..........air...........

16-11-2013, 12:28 AM
(15-11-2013 11:38 PM)TheGulegon Wrote:  O.K. so if I say, "I have no proof against it, so sure it's possible, since damn near anything is possible, that there is a god, but it's also possible, right now, that snarks and grumpkins are about to storm the icewall and invade all of Westeros on behalf of R'hollor: The God of Light.", does that make me an agnostic? Or just an asshole?

Come the Censored on! All religions are stories just like the tooth fairy's, but I got no "proof" Dodgy
Now I'm gonna have to find that Dawkins scale thread, again!

[Image: 20120622052737!Rofl.gif]

16-11-2013, 12:37 AM
When asked about religious beliefs, I'm often tempted to categorise myself as "unfaithful".

Can there be degrees of unfaithfulness?

Drinking Beverage

16-11-2013, 03:18 AM
(15-11-2013 11:23 PM)Peterkin Wrote:  
(15-11-2013 11:08 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  .....sects....?
Oh, aye. My sect has no belief in any gods. We're the ones who burn green, pine-scented candles at our midnight cavortings. The God-doesn't-exist faction burns blue, spearmint-scented candles and cavort at sundown. You couldn't possibly mistake them for us.

(Satanists got the black candles - they smell like licorice.)

The difference between the two sects is much greater than what candles they burn or when they do their cavorting. One sect has no rational basis for their belief. They make a claim without ever providing one scant bit of evidence to back it up and believe it as a matter of faith. The other sect simply makes no claim and goes about their lives.
16-11-2013, 03:27 AM
(16-11-2013 03:18 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  ...
The difference between the two sects is much greater than what candles they burn or when they do their cavorting. One sect has no rational basis for their belief. They make a claim without ever providing one scant bit of evidence to back it up and believe it as a matter of faith. The other sect simply makes no claim and goes about their lives.

Well, I guess that puts them one step ahead of theists, then. Where...

... All sects have no rational basis for their belief. They make a claim without ever providing one scant bit of evidence to back it up and believe it as a matter of faith.

Hurrah!

Big Grin

[+] 4 users Like DLJ's post
16-11-2013, 03:41 AM
The human condition is contrary to truth, so much so that what is true is the exact set of things that not one of us believes in, myself included. I therefore believe in that.

Okay, seriously. When we get down to the "how much of a disbeliever are you" business, I go ignostic. WHICH God are we talking about me not believing in? There's no way I'm buying the literal God of the Bible, too many clear contradictions and I'm about as certain of that god not existing as I am of any mathematical proof. The pantheistic god, though, I'm kinda near believing that. After all, pantheism is the definition of God as the universe, and I DO believe in the universe... I just have no idea what the universe being intelligent would mean, and that's my stumbling block there, not so much outright disbelief, but confusion about what's being claimed. (Of course, pantheism is still atheism by a broad definition of atheism, because a pantheist god is not a theistic god.) All the other concepts of God, run them by me and I'll tell you how much I do or don't believe in them. But I'm not going to bundle them up into a single measurement.

..... random question. Are all these different concepts of god actually different gods, or the same god interpreted different ways? I mean, is the fire-and-brimstone, everyone-deserves-to-burn, flood-the-world-because-I'm-pissed-off God the same as the all-loving God? At what point do you have two Christians worshiping two very different figures and not realizing it because they have the same name? Because the idea that the Christians out there are worshiping a thousand different gods, and don't realize it, is HILARIOUS. Is worshiping the FSM the same as worshiping God, just god in a different form than conventionally envisioned? If not, then where's the dividing line between "disagreement about the nature of one god" and "two different gods"?
[+] 3 users Like Reltzik's post
16-11-2013, 04:00 AM (This post was last modified: 16-11-2013 04:03 AM by Heywood Jahblome.)
(16-11-2013 03:27 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(16-11-2013 03:18 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  ...

Well, I guess that puts them one step ahead of theists, then. Where...

... All sects have no rational basis for their belief. They make a claim without ever providing one scant bit of evidence to back it up and believe it as a matter of faith.

Hurrah!

Big Grin

Actually you are wrong. Theist could point to the apparent fine tuning of the universe as evidence that God exists. That evidence is not unambiguous because it is also evidence for a multiverse and thus not conclusive proof of God existence. Atheists of the sect who claim that God does not exist, have no evidence...ambiguous or otherwise...to support their claim.

Consider the two claims.
A)God exists
B)God does not exists

Those atheists who claim "God does not exists" are at least every bit as irrational as those theists they claim are wrong. In fact they are more irrational as most of them know they are embracing a claim they know is impossible to prove(you can't prove a negative....right?).

Atheist who simply claim not to have a belief in God, are taking the superior atheistic position me-thinks. Those atheist make no claim and thus have no burden of proof.

And now we can wait for Chas to tap dance a song on why only theist have the burden of proof when they make claims while atheists have no such responsibility.
16-11-2013, 04:37 AM (This post was last modified: 16-11-2013 04:41 AM by DLJ.)
(16-11-2013 04:00 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  Actually you are wrong.

How did I know you were going to say that?

(16-11-2013 04:00 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  ...
Theist could point to the apparent...

Apparent Laughat says it all.