LOL classifications of atheists

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-11-2013, 04:45 AM
RE: LOL classifications of atheists
(16-11-2013 04:37 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(16-11-2013 04:00 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  Actually you are wrong.

How did I know you were going to say that?

The simplest explanation is that you already knew you were wrong.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-11-2013, 04:47 AM
(16-11-2013 04:45 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(16-11-2013 04:37 AM)DLJ Wrote:  How did I know you were going to say that?

The simplest explanation is that you already knew you were wrong.

Big Grin

I'll take that as an attempt at humour.

16-11-2013, 05:26 AM
(16-11-2013 12:37 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Can there be degrees of unfaithfulness?

Isn't that a question for your ex? Tongue

Imma atheist. I'm only a gnostic atheist when I got neck to run. Big Grin

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
16-11-2013, 07:11 AM
(15-11-2013 07:36 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  Where do you sit in the range when your position is that you simply don't believe in fairytales?

Well, there are those who're gnostic non-fairy-tale believers, who claim to *know* that the ugly duckling is 'just a story'. Those guys are all assholes really, they can't *know* for sure. They're just as illogical and stupid as the gnostic fairy-tale believers.

Then there are those who're agnostic non-fairy-tale believers, which is where I classify myself, we're a lot more logical. We admit of the infinitesimal possibility that Jack did in fact climb the beanstalk and whatever else he got up to (I've never really managed to read the sacred books of the Brothers Grimm. Great literature, obviously, amazing moral ideas, just... I could never really *believe*), but we in fact live our lives as if the fairy tales were not true, which is a logical position because if they *were* true, then the believers in fairy-tales should be able to produce evidence of the same - unexploded magic beans, measurements of the load bearing capacity of the average cloud for several tonnes of stonework (necessary for constructing giant's castles).

The fact is that *all* the evidence to date gathered by scientists the world over points to the fact that clouds do not make a good foundation for masonry. And once you admit that, you're on the road to real skepticism.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
16-11-2013, 07:14 AM
(15-11-2013 11:23 PM)Peterkin Wrote:  
(15-11-2013 11:08 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  .....sects....?
Oh, aye. My sect has no belief in any gods. We're the ones who burn green, pine-scented candles at our midnight cavortings. The God-doesn't-exist faction burns blue, spearmint-scented candles and cavort at sundown. You couldn't possibly mistake them for us.

(Satanists got the black candles - they smell like licorice.)

Thanks, I always seem to forget the correct candle color when prepping for the nightly cavorting. Tongue

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
16-11-2013, 07:30 AM
(16-11-2013 04:00 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(16-11-2013 03:27 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Well, I guess that puts them one step ahead of theists, then. Where...

... All sects have no rational basis for their belief. They make a claim without ever providing one scant bit of evidence to back it up and believe it as a matter of faith.

Hurrah!

Big Grin

Actually you are wrong. Theist could point to the apparent fine tuning of the universe as evidence that God exists. That evidence is not unambiguous because it is also evidence for a multiverse and thus not conclusive proof of God existence. Atheists of the sect who claim that God does not exist, have no evidence...ambiguous or otherwise...to support their claim.

Consider the two claims.
A)God exists
B)God does not exists

Those atheists who claim "God does not exists" are at least every bit as irrational as those theists they claim are wrong. In fact they are more irrational as most of them know they are embracing a claim they know is impossible to prove(you can't prove a negative....right?).

Atheist who simply claim not to have a belief in God, are taking the superior atheistic position me-thinks. Those atheist make no claim and thus have no burden of proof.

And now we can wait for Chas to tap dance a song on why only theist have the burden of proof when they make claims while atheists have no such responsibility.

The apparent fine-tuning of the universe is not evidence of anything at all.

The apparent fine-tuning of the universe is anthropocentrism at its acme.

The apparent fine-tuning of the universe is not a fact, it is an opinion.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
16-11-2013, 08:24 AM
(16-11-2013 07:11 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(15-11-2013 07:36 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  Where do you sit in the range when your position is that you simply don't believe in fairytales?

Well, there are those who're gnostic non-fairy-tale believers, who claim to *know* that the ugly duckling is 'just a story'. Those guys are all assholes really, they can't *know* for sure. They're just as illogical and stupid as the gnostic fairy-tale believers.

Thanks, buddy. Good looking out. Dodgy

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
16-11-2013, 09:47 AM
(16-11-2013 12:03 AM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  Theists HATE it when you point out that they are all wrapped up in superstitious bullshit, by the way....Thumbsup

Yup.

You think that's special, take a guess what the Catholic Church has to say about superstition.

It's a sin.

You couldn't make this shit up...
Weeping

... this is my signature!
[+] 4 users Like cjlr's post
16-11-2013, 09:54 AM
(16-11-2013 04:00 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  Those atheists who claim "God does not exists" are at least every bit as irrational as those theists they claim are wrong. In fact they are more irrational as most of them know they are embracing a claim they know is impossible to prove(you can't prove a negative....right?).

Trololol.

No.

(16-11-2013 04:00 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  Atheist who simply claim not to have a belief in God, are taking the superior atheistic position me-thinks. Those atheist make no claim and thus have no burden of proof.

And now we can wait for Chas to tap dance a song on why only theist have the burden of proof when they make claims while atheists have no such responsibility.

Pointing out how tragically misconceived your post is wouldn't take Chas's input. Just anyone with any understanding of the nature of evidence and reality.

Null hypothesis is the default. God is a claim. (Properly: God is a thousand and one contradictory claims). God is a logically incoherent and utterly unsubstantiated claim at that.

There is no burden of proof on withholding belief in the claims of others. God is implicitly and necessarily defined, and therefore constitutes a claim being made.

You can think otherwise, I suppose. It's wrong, but you're free to, if that's what gets you through the night.

... this is my signature!
[+] 3 users Like cjlr's post
16-11-2013, 10:36 AM
And some of us are just screwed up and don't know what to think because we accept that we have no answers to trust in. I do sooo appreciate, however, those that require evidence. For in the absence of evidence there seems to be somewhat conclusions.
Buwwwaahaaaaa

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
[+] 1 user Likes WitchSabrina's post