LSU Photoshopped out crosses on painted fans.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-10-2012, 11:09 AM
LSU Photoshopped out crosses on painted fans.
Story here.

Thoughts?

I think LSU is in the wrong here. Why is okay to remove the cross to potentially not offend non-Christians and potentially offend Christians?

I just don't get the the justification.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-10-2012, 11:15 AM
RE: LSU Photoshopped out crosses on painted fans.
If they had painted any other symbol of torture on their chests, would it have been photoshopped out? Ergo, a little guillotine or noose? My guess is no. This seems like an attempt to try and prevent someone being offended, but at the expense of free speech. I don't like the cross, but I don't agree with censorship.

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
[+] 2 users Like TheBeardedDude's post
22-10-2012, 11:38 AM
Silly.

Silly that fans feel the need to brandish the cross at a sporting event, silly that people hosting that event feel the need to airbrush it out of a photo to avoid offending non-cross-brandishers, silly that doing so offended the cross-brandishing fans, silly that now these cross-brandishers are "on a mission" (their own words) to have a "campus full of crosses" for the Nov 3. game against Georgia.

It's all silly.

And sad.

There are things I really believe in and value in my life, but somehow I can go to a football game and not paint those things on my chest. I might even be swayed to paint my chest with the home team's colors and logo, without adding my other, non-football beliefs along with it.

Because that crap has nothing to do with football, no matter how much I revere it.

It's sad that some people can't separate two unrelated things, just because both are important to them. It's sad that organization have to be so careful of any misstep that they're afraid of legal action if they accidentally display a painted symbol on a fan at their game in a photo in their magazine. It's also sad that these Christian fans will never get their photo in the magazine again because of that same fear - they seem like good fans and probably photo-worthy, but with that cross, the university can't take the chance of legal action by using their photo anymore.

When silly turns to sad, we've gone too far.

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
[+] 1 user Likes Aseptic Skeptic's post
22-10-2012, 11:42 AM
Why am I not surprised that Foxnews reports something so irrelevant? Drinking Beverage

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
22-10-2012, 12:01 PM
(22-10-2012 11:42 AM)Vosur Wrote:  Why am I not surprised that Foxnews reports something so irrelevant? Drinking Beverage

More irrelevant than atheists putting up road signs (reported by multiple news groups)?

Check your bias.

This is news; thus, it should be reported.

[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post
22-10-2012, 12:07 PM
(22-10-2012 12:01 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  More irrelevant than atheists putting up road signs (reported by multiple news groups)?

Check your bias.
Equally irrelevant. Where's the bias again?

(22-10-2012 12:01 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  This is news; thus, it should be reported.
Would you say the same thing about the personal lifes of celebrities?

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
22-10-2012, 12:21 PM
(22-10-2012 12:07 PM)Vosur Wrote:  
(22-10-2012 12:01 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  More irrelevant than atheists putting up road signs (reported by multiple news groups)?

Check your bias.
Equally irrelevant. Where's the bias again?

(22-10-2012 12:01 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  This is news; thus, it should be reported.
Would you say the same thing about the personal lifes of celebrities?

1) Then you're off the hook.
2) No. That crap annoys me.

22-10-2012, 12:25 PM
(22-10-2012 11:42 AM)Vosur Wrote:  Why am I not surprised that Foxnews reports something so irrelevant? Drinking Beverage

Pointless Ad hominen. Drinking Beverage

The thing that is even sillier is I would have never once given an iota of thought that there was a cross on their chests. I was just thinking how stupid they looked because they painted themselves. Now instead of no one noticing there was a cross, everyone is noticing the removal. Why are people so dumb?

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
22-10-2012, 12:34 PM
I'm guessing they didn't want to be seen to be promoting Christianity but I think that's going a bit far. I don't think they couldda been accused of promoting a religion by taking a pic of some fans at a game.

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
22-10-2012, 12:38 PM
(22-10-2012 12:34 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  I'm guessing they didn't want to be seen to be promoting Christianity but I think that's going a bit far. I don't think they couldda been accused of promoting a religion by taking a pic of some fans at a game.

Indeed. And Separation of Church and State does not speak to individuals who are not official representatives of a public institution and how they should speak or act. While I think the whole ordeal is silly, I do think the First Amendment rights of these students were violated by muting their idea of free speech.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel