LSU Photoshopped out crosses on painted fans.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-10-2012, 12:38 PM (This post was last modified: 22-10-2012 12:41 PM by Vosur.)
RE: LSU Photoshopped out crosses on painted fans.
(22-10-2012 12:25 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  Pointless Ad hominem. Drinking Beverage
Fixed.
[Image: tCu86uK_500px-Grammar_Nazi_Icon_Text.svg.png?bc]

(22-10-2012 12:21 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  2) No. That crap annoys me.
But aren't their personal lifes news as well and should therefore be reported? Wink

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Vosur's post
22-10-2012, 12:41 PM
Just for my entertainment, what would happen, if there where a group of fans wearing a muslim-symbol, or such?
I am not well informed, about the States, but we in germany have several turkish islamic football teams and some of them have the halfmoon right on top of the shirt.
I think, here is the time to show understanding and tolerance.
Let them have their little crosses next time.
Maybe, the other team has fans with satan on their butt.
In my opinion, the reaction of the LSU-officials is a bit to PC.

If atheism is a religion, then not playing football is an Olympic discipline.
22-10-2012, 12:42 PM
No. Their lives aren't. Their lives don't deal with censorship, muting free speech, and over reacting towards political correctness.

LSU = a collective
A celebrity = individual

A collective is more newsworthy.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
22-10-2012, 12:42 PM
(22-10-2012 11:09 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  Story here.

Thoughts?

I think LSU is in the wrong here. Why is okay to remove the cross to potentially not offend non-Christians and potentially offend Christians?

I just don't get the the justification.

Yup, that's just stupid. What were they thinking?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
22-10-2012, 12:44 PM
(22-10-2012 12:42 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  No. Their lives aren't. Their lives don't deal with censorship, muting free speech, and over reacting towards political correctness.

LSU = a collective
A celebrity = individual

A collective is more newsworthy.
You make a good argument. Consider

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
22-10-2012, 01:13 PM
(22-10-2012 12:38 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(22-10-2012 12:34 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  I'm guessing they didn't want to be seen to be promoting Christianity but I think that's going a bit far. I don't think they couldda been accused of promoting a religion by taking a pic of some fans at a game.

Indeed. And Separation of Church and State does not speak to individuals who are not official representatives of a public institution and how they should speak or act. While I think the whole ordeal is silly, I do think the First Amendment rights of these students were violated by muting their idea of free speech.

LSU is a state university, receiving taxpayer funding for its operation. Deliberately including religious photos in a magazine they publish themselves could be seen as a state organization promoting that religion, clearly a breach of separation of church and state. It's a bit further complicated by the fact that the fans had painted university colors and logos and the cross, clearly associating both things into one paint job.

Now, this case seems really extreme, which is why I called it both silly and sad. I doubt anyone would have cared if their sports coverage included a photo of fans with painted crosses. Even if anyone complained, they could just say it was only a photo of dedicated fans like every other university includes in their sports sections and that would almost certainly have been defensible in court.

Almost certainly.

But it's best to stay out of court in the first place, so they avoided the whole thing with judicial use of an airbrush. A wise decision.

A silly situation and a sad state of affairs.

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
[+] 1 user Likes Aseptic Skeptic's post
22-10-2012, 01:17 PM (This post was last modified: 22-10-2012 01:20 PM by Ghost.)
Straight up bullshit.

As far as the newsworthiness of the story, something was done to these four men by a university. That's newsworthy on any day of the week.

Their image belongs to them. Reprinting someone's image is a big deal. Altering that image without their permission is an even bigger deal.

Imagine that Chris Hitchens showed up in a photo with a crucifix necklace photoshopped INTO the image. That'd be bullshit too.

It's also exploitative. They were perfectly content to exploit their commitment to the LSU football team, but wouldn't want to offend anyone by admitting that they are three dimensional human beings. The man says, "So next time, we'll just choose a different photo." Big whoop. Nothing to see here. My hands are clean. That's some manure right there.

Respect. It's a simple word. I wish more people would respect one another.

ON EDIT:

Hey, Aseptic.

Quote:LSU is a state university, receiving taxpayer funding for its operation. Deliberately including religious photos in a magazine they publish themselves could be seen as a state organization promoting that religion, clearly a breach of separation of church and state.

That is a huuuuuuuuuuuge stretch. A bridge too far, my friend. A bridge too far.

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
[+] 2 users Like Ghost's post
22-10-2012, 01:38 PM
(22-10-2012 01:17 PM)Ghost Wrote:  Hey, Aseptic.

Quote:LSU is a state university, receiving taxpayer funding for its operation. Deliberately including religious photos in a magazine they publish themselves could be seen as a state organization promoting that religion, clearly a breach of separation of church and state.

That is a huuuuuuuuuuuge stretch. A bridge too far, my friend. A bridge too far.

Matt

I agree. It's Operation Market Garden in the world of political correctness...

I know people who work for the University of Utah. The best example, I currently have a coworker who, a few months ago, worked for their HR department (for years). The stories he tells about the lengths they go through to satisfy everything from media to ACLU, to dot every i and cross every t, to demonstrate how every penny is accountable to every taxpayer and also to every government official from the governor to the guy who parks cars at the state capitol.

It's a nightmare of red tape, and one tiny miscalculation can land them in legally actionable territory, and everyone in charge of every university department, even the manager of the laundry facilities, gets constant training and reinforcement of a phone-book sized list of policy and procedures on all this stuff.

Yeah, they worry about this kind of thing.

And clearly the LSU magazine editor worried about it too, enough to have the crosses removed from the photo.

It's sad that they feel they have to worry about such trivia. It's sad that if they didn't, the Louisiana governor might have gotten a call from an angry "Separate Church and State" activist and then he has to cover his political ass by pointing blame at the university leadership who blames the magazine editor who has his job on the line. It's sad that this scenario, as stupid as it seems to you and me, is exactly why the editor changed the photo and why he said in the same article that they just won't use photos of that religious group in future sports reports - to protect himself from losing his job because some self-righteous activist gets bent out of shape and calls the governor.

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
22-10-2012, 01:41 PM
(22-10-2012 01:38 PM)Aseptic Skeptic Wrote:  
(22-10-2012 01:17 PM)Ghost Wrote:  Hey, Aseptic.

Matt

I agree. It's Operation Market Garden in the world of political correctness...

I know people who work for the University of Utah. The best example, I currently have a coworker who, a few months ago, worked for their HR department (for years). The stories he tells about the lengths they go through to satisfy everything from media to ACLU, to dot every i and cross every t, to demonstrate how every penny is accountable to every taxpayer and also to every government official from the governor to the guy who parks cars at the state capitol.

It's a nightmare of red tape, and one tiny miscalculation can land them in legally actionable territory, and everyone in charge of every university department, even the manager of the laundry facilities, gets constant training and reinforcement of a phone-book sized list of policy and procedures on all this stuff.

And clearly the LSU magazine editor worried about it too, enough to have the crosses removed from the photo.

It's sad that they feel they have to worry about such trivia. It's sad that if they didn't, the Louisiana governor might have gotten a call from an angry "Separate Church and State" activist and then he has to cover his political ass by pointing blame at the university leadership who blames the magazine editor who has his job on the line. It's sad that this scenario, as stupid as it seems to you and me, is exactly why the editor changed the photo and why he said in the same article that they just won't use photos of that religious group in future sports reports - to protect himself from losing his job because some self-righteous activist gets bent out of shape and calls the governor.

In all fairness, Bobby Jindal would probably tell them to piss off.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
22-10-2012, 02:35 PM
(22-10-2012 01:41 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(22-10-2012 01:38 PM)Aseptic Skeptic Wrote:  I agree. It's Operation Market Garden in the world of political correctness...

In all fairness, Bobby Jindal would probably tell them to piss off.

In all fairness, Bobby Jindal is a cretin.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user