LSU Photoshopped out crosses on painted fans.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-10-2012, 03:16 PM
Re: RE: LSU Photoshopped out crosses on painted fans.
(22-10-2012 01:17 PM)Ghost Wrote:  Straight up bullshit.

As far as the newsworthiness of the story, something was done to these four men by a university. That's newsworthy on any day of the week.

Their image belongs to them. Reprinting someone's image is a big deal. Altering that image without their permission is an even bigger deal.

Imagine that Chris Hitchens showed up in a photo with a crucifix necklace photoshopped INTO the image. That'd be bullshit too.

It's also exploitative. They were perfectly content to exploit their commitment to the LSU football team, but wouldn't want to offend anyone by admitting that they are three dimensional human beings. The man says, "So next time, we'll just choose a different photo." Big whoop. Nothing to see here. My hands are clean. That's some manure right there.

Respect. It's a simple word. I wish more people would respect one another.

ON EDIT:

Hey, Aseptic.

Quote:LSU is a state university, receiving taxpayer funding for its operation. Deliberately including religious photos in a magazine they publish themselves could be seen as a state organization promoting that religion, clearly a breach of separation of church and state.

That is a huuuuuuuuuuuge stretch. A bridge too far, my friend. A bridge too far.

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt

No it isn't. That's what court precedent states as an issue. A public institution can not promote a religion.

A public school can get in trouble for something that small. The cross itself probably would of big caused an issue.. But of it was some elaborate crucifix painted on the body it makes more sense to be afraid.

I just don't get how anyone would be offended rationally either way about this.. Especially a Christian other than the guys edited.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-10-2012, 03:41 PM
RE: LSU Photoshopped out crosses on painted fans.
(22-10-2012 11:38 AM)Aseptic Skeptic Wrote:  Silly.

Silly that fans feel the need to brandish the cross at a sporting event, silly that people hosting that event feel the need to airbrush it out of a photo to avoid offending non-cross-brandishers, silly that doing so offended the cross-brandishing fans, silly that now these cross-brandishers are "on a mission" (their own words) to have a "campus full of crosses" for the Nov 3. game against Georgia.

It's all silly.

And sad.

There are things I really believe in and value in my life, but somehow I can go to a football game and not paint those things on my chest. I might even be swayed to paint my chest with the home team's colors and logo, without adding my other, non-football beliefs along with it.

Because that crap has nothing to do with football, no matter how much I revere it.

It's sad that some people can't separate two unrelated things, just because both are important to them. It's sad that organization have to be so careful of any misstep that they're afraid of legal action if they accidentally display a painted symbol on a fan at their game in a photo in their magazine. It's also sad that these Christian fans will never get their photo in the magazine again because of that same fear - they seem like good fans and probably photo-worthy, but with that cross, the university can't take the chance of legal action by using their photo anymore.

When silly turns to sad, we've gone too far.

"I'm on a mission and need everyone's help," Bergeron wrote. "The Alabama game is Nov. 3 and everyone needs to wear a purple or black shirt and wear a large cross, a shirt with a cross on it or face paint a cross on your face. The media will be everywhere and my goal is to have a campus of crosses."

Not silly at all Symbols are what cultural ritual, and this "feigned" (symbolic) all-male, battle is all about. The question is, what would happen if an Islamic or Hindi group did public things with their symbols.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
22-10-2012, 03:48 PM
(22-10-2012 03:41 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(22-10-2012 11:38 AM)Aseptic Skeptic Wrote:  Silly.

Silly that fans feel the need to brandish the cross at a sporting event, silly that people hosting that event feel the need to airbrush it out of a photo to avoid offending non-cross-brandishers, silly that doing so offended the cross-brandishing fans, silly that now these cross-brandishers are "on a mission" (their own words) to have a "campus full of crosses" for the Nov 3. game against Georgia.

It's all silly.

And sad.

There are things I really believe in and value in my life, but somehow I can go to a football game and not paint those things on my chest. I might even be swayed to paint my chest with the home team's colors and logo, without adding my other, non-football beliefs along with it.

Because that crap has nothing to do with football, no matter how much I revere it.

It's sad that some people can't separate two unrelated things, just because both are important to them. It's sad that organization have to be so careful of any misstep that they're afraid of legal action if they accidentally display a painted symbol on a fan at their game in a photo in their magazine. It's also sad that these Christian fans will never get their photo in the magazine again because of that same fear - they seem like good fans and probably photo-worthy, but with that cross, the university can't take the chance of legal action by using their photo anymore.

When silly turns to sad, we've gone too far.

"I'm on a mission and need everyone's help," Bergeron wrote. "The Alabama game is Nov. 3 and everyone needs to wear a purple or black shirt and wear a large cross, a shirt with a cross on it or face paint a cross on your face. The media will be everywhere and my goal is to have a campus of crosses."

Not silly at all Symbols are what cultural ritual, and this "feigned" (symbolic) all-male, battle is all about. The question is, what would happen if an Islamic or Hindi group did public things with their symbols.

Pentagrams.
Say it with pentagrams. Yes

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
22-10-2012, 05:15 PM
Hey, Aseptic.

Your country is way to litigious. It saddens we Canadians.

It was still a bullshit move.

Hey, Clyde.

Please cite the precedent that you're speaking of.

I simply find the photoshopping of the image to be the evil here. It could have been any iconography either removed or added and I'd be calling bullshit just as loud.

If the law is shitty and makes people afraid, then change the law.

Hey, Bucky.

I can't tell. Are you shitting on the guy for calling for a peaceful protest?

A peaceful protest seems productive to me.

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
22-10-2012, 06:33 PM
(22-10-2012 11:15 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  If they had painted any other symbol of torture on their chests, would it have been photoshopped out? Ergo, a little guillotine or noose? My guess is no. This seems like an attempt to try and prevent someone being offended, but at the expense of free speech. I don't like the cross, but I don't agree with censorship.

Are you confusing your Instruments of Death and Instruments of Torture again? Tongue

Comfy Chair = torture
Noose = death
Draw + Quarter = 2 for 1 deal!

He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy! -Brian's mum
[+] 1 user Likes Cardinal Smurf's post