LURKERS (yeah YOU! who did not register or never posts!)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-05-2012, 01:35 PM
LURKERS (yeah YOU! who did not register or never posts!)
I was a lurker for a few months before I joined. I was only going to be a lurker because I was just curious what thoughts were out there but didn't feel the need to share my own. I couldn't resist the personalities in here though so I joined. Now I am in deep and can't get back out. Tongue

Anyway, I imagine many lurkers choose to stay lurking because the want to remain anonymous, they couldn't be bothered to discuss and they just want to read up, they are an old banned member who are still curious or interested in TTA forums or YOU ARE CREEPY.

Just wanted to give a shout out though! If you are the first point, anonymity, and it's because you are scared, a closet atheist or something, just wanted to say you are thought of and aren't alone, I bet there are lots like you.

Do any members know of any lurkers that they know IRL? My husband has checked it out twice maybe, but he is not a forum person, he listens to every TTA podcast though. I think I've told maybe a couple friends too, or linked them to the pictures for a laugh at religion page or something.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes LadyJane's post
31-05-2012, 01:39 PM
RE: LURKERS (yeah YOU! who did not register or never posts!)
Ha ha, I came to check a spelling error and I see some guests checking this out. Mhmmmm.
[+] 1 user Likes LadyJane's post
31-05-2012, 01:43 PM
It took me awhile before I joined.

History, I believe, furnishes no example of a priest-ridden people maintaining a
free civil government. This marks the lowest grade of ignorance, of which their
political as well as religious leaders will always avail themselves for their
own purpose. ~ Thomas Jefferson
[+] 1 user Likes N.E.OhioAtheist's post
31-05-2012, 01:43 PM
Secretly I'm more lurker than active. I read just about everything that passes by minus one or two threads (till I go back and read them) but usually stay silent.
It's funny because if I was as active as I am at lurking I'd blow KC out of the water.
I think some people lurk for some of the reasons I will avoid getting involved. One being that some of the people in this forum are wicked smart and I don't have as much info about certain things as they do.
Another being that we have some strong personalities that can seem to represent a whole when in fact they are like midgets in a crowd I tall people. I know there are people I usually avoid, every so often trying again. Usually I am just reminded of why I avoided them but sometimes I remember why I tried talking to them in the first place.
A forum can be a daunting place to participate. It's big an full of personalities and ideas.
Once you get going though it's hard to stop the ball from rolling.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes lucradis's post
31-05-2012, 01:44 PM
(31-05-2012 01:39 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  Ha ha, I came to check a spelling error and I see some guests checking this out. Mhmmmm.
I think sometimes those guests are bots- like google crawlers and stuff like that. Doesn't necessarily mean it's a human being. But it still could be...
[+] 1 user Likes kineo's post
31-05-2012, 01:55 PM
(31-05-2012 01:43 PM)lucradis Wrote:  Secretly I'm more lurker than active. I read just about everything that passes by minus one or two threads (till I go back and read them) but usually stay silent.
It's funny because if I was as active as I am at lurking I'd blow KC out of the water.

I was thinking about this too, but my time reflects my lurking. However time would add up during replying as well, so maybe it all evens out anyway, especially when typing things out can take longer than reading.

(31-05-2012 01:43 PM)lucradis Wrote:  I think some people lurk for some of the reasons I will avoid getting involved. One being that some of the people in this forum are wicked smart and I don't have as much info about certain things as they do.
Another being that we have some strong personalities that can seem to represent a whole when in fact they are like midgets in a crowd I tall people. I know there are people I usually avoid, every so often trying again. Usually I am just reminded of why I avoided them but sometimes I remember why I tried talking to them in the first place.
A forum can be a daunting place to participate. It's big an full of personalities and ideas.
Once you get going though it's hard to stop the ball from rolling.

Yup! Sometimes it seems like a dominant personality might get the last word or something, or because no one challenges this person it means we might all agree, but that may not be the case. Maybe people just roll their eyes and move on, not investing the time into going further.

Any forum I've first joined I have been intimidated, tbh. Sometimes it just sucks to be the newb and have to earn all the respect one is worth. This forum I imagine can be super intimidating though because many topics are very sensitive and the limited rules means everyone has accountability to what they say, maybe.
[+] 3 users Like LadyJane's post
31-05-2012, 02:17 PM
(31-05-2012 01:35 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  I was a lurker for a few months before I joined. I was only going to be a lurker because I was just curious what thoughts were out there but didn't feel the need to share my own. I couldn't resist the personalities in here though so I joined. Now I am in deep and can't get back out. Tongue

Anyway, I imagine many lurkers choose to stay lurking because the want to remain anonymous, they couldn't be bothered to discuss and they just want to read up, they are an old banned member who are still curious or interested in TTA forums or YOU ARE CREEPY.

Just wanted to give a shout out though! If you are the first point, anonymity, and it's because you are scared, a closet atheist or something, just wanted to say you are thought of and aren't alone, I bet there are lots like you.

Do any members know of any lurkers that they know IRL? My husband has checked it out twice maybe, but he is not a forum person, he listens to every TTA podcast though. I think I've told maybe a couple friends too, or linked them to the pictures for a laugh at religion page or something.
I never realized lurking was such a problem here....

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
31-05-2012, 02:24 PM
New here.... need some advice...
Hi... I have read a few posts and can relate so much to so many. It is good to have found somewhere where I don't feel so isolated. I have been agnostic for well over 30 years. Gave some thought to God in my teens but logic won. My family were never church goers although I was christened as a baby. I personally never had my kids baptised. My dilemma (?) is: why am I reluctant to call myself atheist? Is it because of the stigma that automatically bestows us? I live in the south and it's damn hard to fit in here anyway. Is it because I don't want my kid to think my "soul" is eternally lost and he be upset about absolutely nothing? He is currently trying to find himself (13) and he can explore all options he wants. He has went through a "church spell", and currently believes. Is it because there is a tiny absurd sliver of hope inside of me hoping that I am wrong? I am a very outspoken person. I say what I feel and I tell the truth to people who need to hear it. Not necessarily about god and shit, but about life in general. I don't partake too much with bullshit and stay pretty much to myself. I am socialable when called for but prefer my own company. My moral compass is alive and well but I am really discouraged by my dilemma..... help!!!

Nothing changes if nothing changes.....
[+] 2 users Like FirmaTerran's post
31-05-2012, 02:25 PM
(31-05-2012 02:17 PM)Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver Wrote:  
(31-05-2012 01:35 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  I was a lurker for a few months before I joined. I was only going to be a lurker because I was just curious what thoughts were out there but didn't feel the need to share my own. I couldn't resist the personalities in here though so I joined. Now I am in deep and can't get back out. Tongue

I never realized lurking was such a problem here....
No problems Smile Just bringing it to light in a thread.
31-05-2012, 02:32 PM
Another issue I'm sure as might be witnessed with firma up there. First post must be approved before anyone other than me and the team can see it. People who never read the rules might not know that, or might post something and get annoyed then forget to see if their post is approved or not.

It's not really avoidable unfortunately. Welcome to the forum Firma!

What's up with my font? it's all neat and stuff.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes lucradis's post