LURKERS (yeah YOU! who did not register or never posts!)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-05-2012, 02:52 PM
RE: LURKERS (yeah YOU! who did not register or never posts!)
Ah yes. And I didn't see she posted till now probably because it wasn't there from approval yet. But a true lurker would know this because they wouldn't have just arrived on a whimsy or from a search word. If they lurk, then they've probably checked around enough to know that since it is mentioned from time to time.

Welcome ferma!

You don't have to call yourself an atheist, you don't have to do anything. My suggestion for both you and your son would to keep asking questions and keep thinking. This forum doesn't require any members to be atheist or theist, just be yourself Smile The questions you asked are big ones, but I will just say from experience that there is freedom and happiness in the truth. I think that is all most people want.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes LadyJane's post
31-05-2012, 03:10 PM
(31-05-2012 02:32 PM)lucradis Wrote:  Another issue I'm sure as might be witnessed with firma up there. First post must be approved before anyone other than me and the team can see it. People who never read the rules might not know that, or might post something and get annoyed then forget to see if their post is approved or not.

It's not really avoidable unfortunately. Welcome to the forum Firma!

What's up with my font? it's all neat and stuff.

On that issue we could always draft a generic, pre-written PM that gets sent to everyone when their post is approved. That way anyone who was in that situation would get an email explaining and hopefully they would come back. Wouldn't take any time either to just send a PM that had already been written after we approve a post. If you like the idea I can write one, if not just tell me to shut up and I'll go cry in the corner Big Grin.

I think that the close nature between some of our longer serving members could also be a little daunting to new members. They may kinda feel on the sidelines at times. I'm not saying there is anything we can do about it, just making an observation.

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
[+] 1 user Likes Hughsie's post
31-05-2012, 03:22 PM
(31-05-2012 01:43 PM)lucradis Wrote:  Secretly I'm more lurker than active. I read just about everything that passes by minus one or two threads (till I go back and read them) but usually stay silent.
It's funny because if I was as active as I am at lurking I'd blow KC out of the water.
I think some people lurk for some of the reasons I will avoid getting involved. One being that some of the people in this forum are wicked smart and I don't have as much info about certain things as they do.
Another being that we have some strong personalities that can seem to represent a whole when in fact they are like midgets in a crowd I tall people. I know there are people I usually avoid, every so often trying again. Usually I am just reminded of why I avoided them but sometimes I remember why I tried talking to them in the first place.
A forum can be a daunting place to participate. It's big an full of personalities and ideas.
Once you get going though it's hard to stop the ball from rolling.

Whatever dude.

Just because I took a small break, you got the big head.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
31-05-2012, 03:57 PM
KC took a break? Musta been hearing the echoes from his ramblings. Big Grin

Could be these lurkers end up here from a search and leave the tabs open after reading a paragraph. Done that plenty of times. Thumbsup

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
31-05-2012, 04:16 PM
RE: New here.... need some advice...
(31-05-2012 02:24 PM)FirmaTerran Wrote:  Hi... I have read a few posts and can relate so much to so many. It is good to have found somewhere where I don't feel so isolated. I have been agnostic for well over 30 years. Gave some thought to God in my teens but logic won. My family were never church goers although I was christened as a baby. I personally never had my kids baptised. My dilemma (?) is: why am I reluctant to call myself atheist? Is it because of the stigma that automatically bestows us? I live in the south and it's damn hard to fit in here anyway. Is it because I don't want my kid to think my "soul" is eternally lost and he be upset about absolutely nothing? He is currently trying to find himself (13) and he can explore all options he wants. He has went through a "church spell", and currently believes. Is it because there is a tiny absurd sliver of hope inside of me hoping that I am wrong? I am a very outspoken person. I say what I feel and I tell the truth to people who need to hear it. Not necessarily about god and shit, but about life in general. I don't partake too much with bullshit and stay pretty much to myself. I am socialable when called for but prefer my own company. My moral compass is alive and well but I am really discouraged by my dilemma..... help!!!
One way to approach it is to figure out if you are a dualist or not. If you think that humans have a spirit or soul separate from our physical selves, then it might be hard to be an atheist. If, like me, you don't believe that supernatural crap, then it is simply a matter of intellectual honesty to say you're an atheist.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
31-05-2012, 04:45 PM
(31-05-2012 02:24 PM)FirmaTerran Wrote:  why am I reluctant to call myself atheist? Is it because of the stigma that automatically bestows us? I live in the south and it's damn hard to fit in here anyway. Is it because I don't want my kid to think my "soul" is eternally lost and he be upset about absolutely nothing? Is it because there is a tiny absurd sliver of hope inside of me hoping that I am wrong?
Firma... call yourself what you like Wink Plenty of us spent some time in the closet, bumping around in the dark.

Intellectual honesty be damned say I! Arrrr Tongue
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
31-05-2012, 05:08 PM
Also, try this:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/gues..._blog.html

Watch the Daniel Dennet video.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
31-05-2012, 06:51 PM
While I am often found lurking in the bushes, I joined the forum the first day I saw it was on Seth's site. Didn't think to read one single thread before I joined.

I still rue my rash decision. Dodgy

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
31-05-2012, 07:31 PM
That's why you're king of the post count, huh, Preach? Dodgy

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
31-05-2012, 07:42 PM
(31-05-2012 01:35 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  I was a lurker for a few months before I joined. I was only going to be a lurker because I was just curious what thoughts were out there but didn't feel the need to share my own. I couldn't resist the personalities in here though so I joined. Now I am in deep and can't get back out. Tongue

Anyway, I imagine many lurkers choose to stay lurking because the want to remain anonymous, they couldn't be bothered to discuss and they just want to read up, they are an old banned member who are still curious or interested in TTA forums or YOU ARE CREEPY.

Just wanted to give a shout out though! If you are the first point, anonymity, and it's because you are scared, a closet atheist or something, just wanted to say you are thought of and aren't alone, I bet there are lots like you.

Do any members know of any lurkers that they know IRL? My husband has checked it out twice maybe, but he is not a forum person, he listens to every TTA podcast though. I think I've told maybe a couple friends too, or linked them to the pictures for a laugh at religion page or something.
Easy LadyJane I have only member for 11 minutes. I am working on it!
[+] 3 users Like eek's post