LaVeyan Satanism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-10-2012, 04:13 PM
RE: LaVeyan Satanism
(23-10-2012 02:53 PM)Nevermore Wrote:  If you honestly take "destroy them" as "kill", then you aren't thinking about it.

de·stroy/diˈstroi/
Verb:

Put an end to the existence of (something) by damaging or attacking it.

Synonyms:
ruin - demolish - annihilate - wreck - KILL- exterminate

Stop posting.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-10-2012, 04:16 PM
(23-10-2012 04:13 PM)FreudianSlipped Wrote:  
(23-10-2012 02:53 PM)Nevermore Wrote:  If you honestly take "destroy them" as "kill", then you aren't thinking about it.

de·stroy/diˈstroi/
Verb:

Put an end to the existence of (something) by damaging or attacking it.

Synonyms:
ruin - demolish - annihilate - wreck - KILL- exterminate

Stop posting.

No, thanks, I'm enjoying this too much. I mean, finally people who like arguing. Even though it's taking a lot for some of them to get it. Tongue
Yeah, good job by the way. I literally said it, like most of Satanism, is supposed to be theatrical and over-the-top, and you've reinforced that.
23-10-2012, 04:24 PM
(23-10-2012 04:00 PM)Nevermore Wrote:  That's up to the Satanist. If it's just in a public place and they don't leave you alone, you could leave. If you need to be there, you could try ignoring them until they get bored and leave. That's worked for me on many occasions. If they're harassing you, you could alert a policeman.
If they're in your home and they refuse to leave, you can call the police and have him forcibly removed.
So basically these two rules are completely obsolete because you do the exact same thing every non-Satanist would do? Consider

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
23-10-2012, 04:29 PM
(23-10-2012 04:24 PM)Vosur Wrote:  
(23-10-2012 04:00 PM)Nevermore Wrote:  That's up to the Satanist. If it's just in a public place and they don't leave you alone, you could leave. If you need to be there, you could try ignoring them until they get bored and leave. That's worked for me on many occasions. If they're harassing you, you could alert a policeman.
If they're in your home and they refuse to leave, you can call the police and have him forcibly removed.
So basically these two rules are completely obsolete because you do the exact same thing every non-Satanist would do? Consider

You're wrong. A lot of people would rather be kind to the person bothering them. Since many people hold a "be kind to everyone" mentality. And wouldn't tell someone to fuck off. But perhaps that's just the area I live in. God fearing Ohio.
23-10-2012, 05:01 PM
(23-10-2012 04:29 PM)Nevermore Wrote:  You're wrong. A lot of people would rather be kind to the person bothering them. Since many people hold a "be kind to everyone" mentality. And wouldn't tell someone to fuck off. But perhaps that's just the area I live in. God fearing Ohio.
Yes, the reaction from people is subject to change from time to time and from location to location.

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
23-10-2012, 05:10 PM
(23-10-2012 05:01 PM)Vosur Wrote:  
(23-10-2012 04:29 PM)Nevermore Wrote:  You're wrong. A lot of people would rather be kind to the person bothering them. Since many people hold a "be kind to everyone" mentality. And wouldn't tell someone to fuck off. But perhaps that's just the area I live in. God fearing Ohio.
Yes, the reaction from people is subject to change from time to time and from location to location.

Well there you go. Look, it's just the philosophy we hold. We just choose to call it Satanism. It really isn't for everyone. Even if you hold that philosophy, you might not want to associate with Satanism. Maybe you just don't like the association with a god. Maybe you don't like the association with a religion. Maybe you're too afraid of other peoples' reactions. That's all fine. Sharing such philosophy doesn't mean the Church of Satan is going to send black robed men with swords to find you and force you to change your religious association in Facebook to "Satanism".
But that would be cool. I wish that was my job. XD
23-10-2012, 05:17 PM
(23-10-2012 03:01 PM)Nevermore Wrote:  I don't care what others think. I just wrote this because you wanted me to. So that I could potentially entertain you for a bit. We're already Satanists, so why the hell not? Why not call lesser magic magic? Call me dumb, call me what you will. If we were looking to play to the lowest common denominator, make it nice and easy for them to understand, we would. But we aren't. So we won't. If the thought of magic scares you off, then you wouldn't make a very good Satanist, now would you? It, like all of Satanism, generally makes a good tool to weed out the less desirable people.

Again, I didn't call anyone dumb. I was explaining why others did.

And I'm quite sure no one here is "scared" of magic; they just think it's dumb. Big difference there.

If you truly didn't care what others think, why not just call yourself a secular humanist? I'd say if you use the term "satanist," it may well be to shock people, which would mean you care a lot about what other think it you want to affect them in that way.

"My brand of Satanism is the ultimate conscious alternative to herd mentality and institutionalized thought. It is a studied and contrived set of principles and exercises designed to liberate individuals from a contagion of mindlessness that destroys innovation. I have termed my thought "Satanism" because it is most stimulating under that name. Self-discipline and motivation are effected more easily under stimulating conditions. Satanism means "the opposition" and epitomizes all symbols of nonconformity. Satanism calls forth the strong ability to turn a liability into an advantage, to turn alienation into exclusivity. In other words, the reason it's called Satanism is because it's fun, it's accurate, and it's productive."
--Anton LaVey, The Devil's Notebook

"Stimulating." So yes, I'd say he was being theatrical. At best, those calling themselves satanists are also being theatrical; at worst, attention-seeking, pointlessly rebellious in attempts to be a special snowflake.

Also in the above quote: "alienation." In other words, he's talking about outcasts feeling like they're in a special, exclusive club so they can have a sense of belonging, and telling social misfits to stand up for themselves and to cultivate pride and better self-esteem. That's why satanism is different than secular humanism. Secular humanism is not an organization, there is no fee, no membership card.

For this reason, many people I know grew out of it by the time they were in their 20s. Those still calling themselves Satanists (mainly black metal people i know) well into their 30s/40s want nothing to do with the CoS or any other organized satanism, and loudly talk about how much they dislike the CoS and LaVey. I don't really give a shit either way, I just don't feel the need to use that label for stuff I would do anyway.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like amyb's post
23-10-2012, 05:30 PM
(23-10-2012 05:17 PM)amyb Wrote:  
(23-10-2012 03:01 PM)Nevermore Wrote:  I don't care what others think. I just wrote this because you wanted me to. So that I could potentially entertain you for a bit. We're already Satanists, so why the hell not? Why not call lesser magic magic? Call me dumb, call me what you will. If we were looking to play to the lowest common denominator, make it nice and easy for them to understand, we would. But we aren't. So we won't. If the thought of magic scares you off, then you wouldn't make a very good Satanist, now would you? It, like all of Satanism, generally makes a good tool to weed out the less desirable people.

Again, I didn't call anyone dumb. I was explaining why others did.

And I'm quite sure no one here is "scared" of magic; they just think it's dumb. Big difference there.

If you truly didn't care what others think, why not just call yourself a secular humanist? I'd say if you use the term "satanist," it may well be to shock people, which would mean you care a lot about what other think it you want to affect them in that way.

"My brand of Satanism is the ultimate conscious alternative to herd mentality and institutionalized thought. It is a studied and contrived set of principles and exercises designed to liberate individuals from a contagion of mindlessness that destroys innovation. I have termed my thought "Satanism" because it is most stimulating under that name. Self-discipline and motivation are effected more easily under stimulating conditions. Satanism means "the opposition" and epitomizes all symbols of nonconformity. Satanism calls forth the strong ability to turn a liability into an advantage, to turn alienation into exclusivity. In other words, the reason it's called Satanism is because it's fun, it's accurate, and it's productive."
--Anton LaVey, The Devil's Notebook

"Stimulating." So yes, I'd say he was being theatrical. At best, those calling themselves satanists are also being theatrical; at worst, attention-seeking, pointlessly rebellious in attempts to be a special snowflake.

Also in the above quote: "alienation." In other words, he's talking about outcasts feeling like they're in a special, exclusive club so they can have a sense of belonging, and telling social misfits to stand up for themselves and to cultivate pride and better self-esteem. That's why satanism is different than secular humanism. Secular humanism is not an organization, there is no fee, no membership card.

For this reason, many people I know grew out of it by the time they were in their 20s. Those still calling themselves Satanists (mainly black metal people i know) well into their 30s/40s want nothing to do with the CoS or any other organized satanism, and loudly talk about how much they dislike the CoS and LaVey. I don't really give a shit either way, I just don't feel the need to use that label for stuff I would do anyway.

I wasn't saying you called me dumb. I'm saying if you find me dumb, call me it. Call me what you will.

Okay, again, I don't mean you people in specific. I just mean the general population. And I don't mean scare as in a phobic sense.

If I cared what others thought, I would call myself a secular humanist. I'm a Satanist for myself. Me. It's because I like it. Me, myself and I. No, not anyone else. That was never my intent and it never will be. You're wrong. I thought I had already said it, but I'm not out to shock anyone. Because, spoiler alert, I really just don't care.

Yeah, I am theatrical. Because I, me, myself like theatrics.

I am a bit of an outcast. People don't like me, and I generally don't like them. No, I'm not trying to be part of some special "club". I know it would all be so convenient to think I care what others think, then it would all fall into place. I'm just not that convenient of a case.
23-10-2012, 05:54 PM
(23-10-2012 05:30 PM)Nevermore Wrote:  I am a bit of an outcast. People don't like me, and I generally don't like them.....

Wow...I would have never guessed that!
[+] 2 users Like Julius's post
23-10-2012, 05:55 PM
I didn't mean it necessarily for you personally. I'm just saying most "satanists" I knew were rebellious teenagers and grew out of it by the time they could legally drink, and those who did not tend to shun LaVey's followers (because they seem like followers, and because they often do not seem to practice what he talked about, such as not following/conforming).
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user