LaVeyan Satanism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-10-2012, 06:01 PM
RE: LaVeyan Satanism
(23-10-2012 05:55 PM)amyb Wrote:  I didn't mean it necessarily for you personally. I'm just saying most "satanists" I knew were rebellious teenagers and grew out of it by the time they could legally drink, and those who did not tend to shun LaVey's followers (because they seem like followers, and because they often do not seem to practice what he talked about, such as not following/conforming).

Oh, alright. Well you're probably right.

(23-10-2012 05:54 PM)Julius Wrote:  
(23-10-2012 05:30 PM)Nevermore Wrote:  I am a bit of an outcast. People don't like me, and I generally don't like them.....

Wow...I would have never guessed that!

Craziness, right?

[Image: zjxoi9.png]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-10-2012, 06:20 PM
(23-10-2012 05:10 PM)Nevermore Wrote:  
(23-10-2012 05:01 PM)Vosur Wrote:  Yes, the reaction from people is subject to change from time to time and from location to location.

Well there you go. Look, it's just the philosophy we hold. We just choose to call it Satanism. It really isn't for everyone. Even if you hold that philosophy, you might not want to associate with Satanism. Maybe you just don't like the association with a god. Maybe you don't like the association with a religion. Maybe you're too afraid of other peoples' reactions. That's all fine. Sharing such philosophy doesn't mean the Church of Satan is going to send black robed men with swords to find you and force you to change your religious association in Facebook to "Satanism".
But that would be cool. I wish that was my job. XD

So it's a religion?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
23-10-2012, 06:32 PM
(23-10-2012 06:20 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(23-10-2012 05:10 PM)Nevermore Wrote:  Well there you go. Look, it's just the philosophy we hold. We just choose to call it Satanism. It really isn't for everyone. Even if you hold that philosophy, you might not want to associate with Satanism. Maybe you just don't like the association with a god. Maybe you don't like the association with a religion. Maybe you're too afraid of other peoples' reactions. That's all fine. Sharing such philosophy doesn't mean the Church of Satan is going to send black robed men with swords to find you and force you to change your religious association in Facebook to "Satanism".
But that would be cool. I wish that was my job. XD

So it's a religion?

Some call it a religion. Some call it philosophy. I just call it whatever's convenient at the time.

24-10-2012, 11:42 AM
Hmmm, the only difference I see between a Satanist and a Secular Humanist is that Satanists just want to give a large, flashing, rocket propelled middle finger to Christians.

I mean, I "get" the reasoning... I don't think it's necessary, but I understand it.

Back when I was trying to figure out what I was, I read the Satanic Bible and studied it a bit. Wasn't my cup of tea.

On a side note, thank you very much for this. Interesting stuff.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 3 users Like kingschosen's post
24-10-2012, 01:30 PM
(24-10-2012 11:42 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  Hmmm, the only difference I see between a Satanist and a Secular Humanist is that Satanists just want to give a large, flashing, rocket propelled middle finger to Christians.

I mean, I "get" the reasoning... I don't think it's necessary, but I understand it.

Back when I was trying to figure out what I was, I read the Satanic Bible and studied it a bit. Wasn't my cup of tea.

Well, that's not my intention. Maybe someone else's, but not mine.

24-10-2012, 01:33 PM
(24-10-2012 01:30 PM)Nevermore Wrote:  
(24-10-2012 11:42 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  Hmmm, the only difference I see between a Satanist and a Secular Humanist is that Satanists just want to give a large, flashing, rocket propelled middle finger to Christians.

Well, that's not my intention. Maybe someone else's, but not mine.

The attraction seems to be the theatricality.

It's secular humanism for drama queens.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 6 users Like Chas's post
24-10-2012, 01:36 PM
(24-10-2012 01:33 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(24-10-2012 01:30 PM)Nevermore Wrote:  Well, that's not my intention. Maybe someone else's, but not mine.

The attraction seems to be the theatricality.

It's secular humanism for drama queens.

That's a good way to describe it I guess. Tongue

[+] 2 users Like Nevermore's post
25-10-2012, 09:53 PM
I've always seen it as existentialism with phony "rules"(That don't really matter if you follow or not) and rituals for that communal aura feel.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 2 users Like ClydeLee's post
26-10-2012, 03:13 PM
(23-10-2012 06:21 AM)Nevermore Wrote:  Ritual magic is a performance. That's all it is. It's an alternitive way to get your anger out of your system so that it's no longer ruining your day or keeping you from your goals. Among other emotions such as lust or sadness.

I got no problem with that. Hell, I can even see how it could work given the human psyche. A different sorta psychological therapy. After reading this thread through, I'm coming away thinking Satanism is secular humanism with an emphasis on parodying religion. I'm down with that. Kinda like the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Thumbsup

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
31-10-2012, 02:27 PM
(21-10-2012 07:14 PM)Nevermore Wrote:  I believed like this before I even knew LaVey's name! These aren't imposing rules to me, since I already lived by them.

And this is the point that everyone is trying to make. If you believed all of these things before; where's the need to take things an unnecessary step further by joining Satanism? Several years ago, I lived a life of personal purity. I abstained from alcohol, drugs, promiscuous sex, even medication. This was my personal choice, but I later learned that it fits all of the parameters of the Straight-Edge lifestyle. And yet, I didn't go around calling myself straight-edge from then on. There was no real need to. I just kept living my life.

Everyone's hangup with Satanism is the fact that there's no real need to officially adhere to rules that you already lived by on your own. As Chas said; it's redundant.

Having said that, I personally understand and am intrigued by the aesthetic. And while I think it's pretty cool, I'm also completely apathetic to the manner in which you choose to present yourself. The fact that you want to officially identify as a satanist is fine with me. By all means, enjoy yourself.

But do know that it's a bit unnecessary; especially when it goes on to present itself as an official philosophy to which you adhere. That is the overall point that everyone is trying to make.

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!