LaVeyan Satanism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-10-2012, 02:49 PM
RE: LaVeyan Satanism
(31-10-2012 02:27 PM)Misanthropik Wrote:  
(21-10-2012 07:14 PM)Nevermore Wrote:  I believed like this before I even knew LaVey's name! These aren't imposing rules to me, since I already lived by them.

And this is the point that everyone is trying to make. If you believed all of these things before; where's the need to take things an unnecessary step further by joining Satanism? Several years ago, I lived a life of personal purity. I abstained from alcohol, drugs, promiscuous sex, even medication. This was my personal choice, but I later learned that it fits all of the parameters of the Straight-Edge lifestyle. And yet, I didn't go around calling myself straight-edge from then on. There was no real need to. I just kept living my life.

Everyone's hangup with Satanism is the fact that there's no real need to officially adhere to rules that you already lived by on your own. As Chas said; it's redundant.

Having said that, I personally understand and am intrigued by the aesthetic. And while I think it's pretty cool, I'm also completely apathetic to the manner in which you choose to present yourself. The fact that you want to officially identify as a satanist is fine with me. By all means, enjoy yourself.

But do know that it's a bit unnecessary; especially when it goes on to present itself as an official philosophy to which you adhere. That is the overall point that everyone is trying to make.

To clarify, my main point is that calling it 'Satanism' is silly, even ignorant.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
01-11-2012, 06:14 AM (This post was last modified: 01-11-2012 06:33 AM by Nevermore.)
(31-10-2012 02:27 PM)Misanthropik Wrote:  
(21-10-2012 07:14 PM)Nevermore Wrote:  I believed like this before I even knew LaVey's name! These aren't imposing rules to me, since I already lived by them.

And this is the point that everyone is trying to make. If you believed all of these things before; where's the need to take things an unnecessary step further by joining Satanism? Several years ago, I lived a life of personal purity. I abstained from alcohol, drugs, promiscuous sex, even medication. This was my personal choice, but I later learned that it fits all of the parameters of the Straight-Edge lifestyle. And yet, I didn't go around calling myself straight-edge from then on. There was no real need to. I just kept living my life.

Everyone's hangup with Satanism is the fact that there's no real need to officially adhere to rules that you already lived by on your own. As Chas said; it's redundant.

Having said that, I personally understand and am intrigued by the aesthetic. And while I think it's pretty cool, I'm also completely apathetic to the manner in which you choose to present yourself. The fact that you want to officially identify as a satanist is fine with me. By all means, enjoy yourself.

But do know that it's a bit unnecessary; especially when it goes on to present itself as an official philosophy to which you adhere. That is the overall point that everyone is trying to make.

I get that it's unnecessary, I do it because I like it. Because I just like the aesthetic of Satanism. I agree with the philosophy and I like the aesthetic. If the Satanic robes fit, I see no reason not to wear them.
I don't get this strange need for everything I do to have some deeper meaning to it. Anything less just shouldn't be done. Like I shouldn't listen to music just for fun, I should only listen to music that has a powerful meaning to me.
Find all posts by this user
01-11-2012, 01:52 PM
(01-11-2012 06:14 AM)Nevermore Wrote:  
(31-10-2012 02:27 PM)Misanthropik Wrote:  And this is the point that everyone is trying to make. If you believed all of these things before; where's the need to take things an unnecessary step further by joining Satanism? Several years ago, I lived a life of personal purity. I abstained from alcohol, drugs, promiscuous sex, even medication. This was my personal choice, but I later learned that it fits all of the parameters of the Straight-Edge lifestyle. And yet, I didn't go around calling myself straight-edge from then on. There was no real need to. I just kept living my life.

I get that it's unnecessary, I do it because I like it. Because I just like the aesthetic of Satanism. I agree with the philosophy and I like the aesthetic. If the Satanic robes fit, I see no reason not to wear them.
I don't get this strange need for everything I do to have some deeper meaning to it. Anything less just shouldn't be done. Like I shouldn't listen to music just for fun, I should only listen to music that has a powerful meaning to me.

Again, I can understand and support that.

We're not saying everything should have a deeper meaning. But when you present yourself as "a satanist", it is a self-imposed title that lays claim to a certain "philosophy". That in itself smacks of some sort of deeper meaning. As I said, when I was "straight-edge" by the "movements" very definition, I didn't identify as such. I was just me being me. But if you ask any douchebag with X's all over him, he'll go on a rant about how straight-edge is a really deep thing.

What's more, you have presented a pretty lengthy list of rules for your Satanism. It is also something one must "join". Sounds like a lot of work for something you don't feel has a "deeper meaning". I have to pay for music I listen to purely because it's part of the economy, but I wouldn't pay anything - let alone $200 - to simply be myself.

So, I suppose WE don't understand this strange need to go through all this work just to be who you are anyway.

But again, if it works for you, go for it. I mean that sincerely.

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
01-11-2012, 05:17 PM (This post was last modified: 01-11-2012 07:44 PM by Diablo666.)
When are the orgy parties?

If there are no orgies, then this isn't real satanism!
[+] 1 user Likes Diablo666's post
05-11-2012, 08:58 AM
(01-11-2012 01:52 PM)Misanthropik Wrote:  
(01-11-2012 06:14 AM)Nevermore Wrote:  I get that it's unnecessary, I do it because I like it. Because I just like the aesthetic of Satanism. I agree with the philosophy and I like the aesthetic. If the Satanic robes fit, I see no reason not to wear them.

Again, I can understand and support that.

We're not saying everything should have a deeper meaning. But when you present yourself as "a satanist", it is a self-imposed title that lays claim to a certain "philosophy". That in itself smacks of some sort of deeper meaning. As I said, when I was "straight-edge" by the "movements" very definition, I didn't identify as such. I was just me being me. But if you ask any douchebag with X's all over him, he'll go on a rant about how straight-edge is a really deep thing.

What's more, you have presented a pretty lengthy list of rules for your Satanism. It is also something one must "join". Sounds like a lot of work for something you don't feel has a "deeper meaning". I have to pay for music I listen to purely because it's part of the economy, but I wouldn't pay anything - let alone $200 - to simply be myself.

So, I suppose WE don't understand this strange need to go through all this work just to be who you are anyway.

I've said multiple times that you do not HAVE to join the Church of Satan. No one will force you to if you identify as a Satanist. How many times can I say it before people will stop being dishonest about it? If you want to, you can. If you don't, than don't.
05-11-2012, 09:57 AM
I don't get it. Why you pimping that shit here? Consider

living word
05-11-2012, 10:50 PM
(05-11-2012 09:57 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  I don't get it. Why you pimping that shit here? Consider

Umm...
Because some members asked me to make a thread about it?
I think that's what you're asking. XD
06-11-2012, 07:09 AM
(05-11-2012 08:58 AM)Nevermore Wrote:  
(01-11-2012 01:52 PM)Misanthropik Wrote:  Again, I can understand and support that.

I've said multiple times that you do not HAVE to join the Church of Satan. No one will force you to if you identify as a Satanist. How many times can I say it before people will stop being dishonest about it? If you want to, you can. If you don't, than don't.

When I say "one must join", I'm saying that it's something that CAN be joined. You say it has no deeper meaning, and yet it's an organization that can be joined. Doesn't make much sense.

But, I'm over it. Drinking Beverage

06-11-2012, 08:53 AM
(06-11-2012 07:09 AM)Misanthropik Wrote:  
(05-11-2012 08:58 AM)Nevermore Wrote:  I've said multiple times that you do not HAVE to join the Church of Satan. No one will force you to if you identify as a Satanist. How many times can I say it before people will stop being dishonest about it? If you want to, you can. If you don't, than don't.

When I say "one must join", I'm saying that it's something that CAN be joined. You say it has no deeper meaning, and yet it's an organization that can be joined. Doesn't make much sense.

But, I'm over it. Drinking Beverage

Over what? Talking about it? I thought that was what this forum was all about.
Yeah, some people take it more seriously than others.
And when you say "must", it usually isn't taken as interchangeable with "can".
06-11-2012, 05:02 PM
Consider .....

... Drinking Beverage